Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fish chowder ideas?

Options
  • 23-01-2013 4:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭

Hi, im going to make a fish chowder and need suggestions as to what fish to put in it, iv had it before with mussels, squid, salmon, monk fish(love it), prawns, anyone any other ideas of a fish that is really nice in it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭homeless student

anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭emaleth

Smoked haddock and fresh cod is great. Use smoked coley in place of the haddock if you like - it's cheaper and I imagine more sustainable.

emaleth wrote: »
    Smoked haddock and fresh cod is great. Use smoked coley in place of the haddock if you like - it's cheaper and I imagine more sustainable.

cheers. might have to heat the chowder up in a microwave, bad idea?

Surprisingly enough, for fish, it should be fine, just don't boil the bejesus out of it - zap and stir, zap and stir until it's hot. If you have frozen peas around, they're lovely in a chowder (traditional chowder types will now emerge from the woodwork to find me and kill me).

Surprisingly enough, for fish, it should be fine, just don't boil the bejesus out of it - zap and stir, zap and stir until it's hot. If you have frozen peas around, they're lovely in a chowder (traditional chowder types will now emerge from the woodwork to find me and kill me).

thats good, was told not to reheat it because the fish would break up. would it be better to reheat in a pot on the rings of the cooker?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭IRCA

Hi, im going to make a fish chowder and need suggestions as to what fish to put in it, iv had it before with mussels, squid, salmon, monk fish(love it), prawns, anyone any other ideas of a fish that is really nice in it?

try some Red Mullet as well - not too expensive and adds some good flavour -

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Hoop66

Smoked haddock is excellent. I also use some anchovy fillets at the start, fry them with the onion to give a bit of extra savoury bite.

can you have too much different types of fish in a chowder? like just say you had 6 different types?

6 is OK. But 7? Kaboom! :D

I don't think that there's any limit to the different types of fish you could have. The thing is, how much of the distinct flavour of each type of fish are you going to get?

I generally use 1 smoked (nearly always undyed smoked haddock), 1 or 2 white (cod/monkfish/haddock/whiting) and 1 oily (nearly always salmon).

Another thing to bear in mind is that you'll get better results with meatier fish as it won't disintegrate so much.

Hoop66 wrote: »
    6 is OK. But 7? Kaboom! :D

I don't think that there's any limit to the different types of fish you could have. The thing is, how much of the distinct flavour of each type of fish are you going to get?

I generally use 1 smoked (nearly always undyed smoked haddock), 1 or 2 white (cod/monkfish/haddock/whiting) and 1 oily (nearly always salmon).

Another thing to bear in mind is that you'll get better results with meatier fish as it won't disintegrate so much.

lol, just had a chowder there, had salmon,smoked haddock, prawns, was nice but watery and didnt like the salmon.

what meaty fish would you suggest?

• Advertisement

Maybe reduce the stock a bit more before adding the fish?

I always use spuds in mine, so runniness isn't usually a problem.

For meaty fish, defintiely worth trying monkfish and maybe whiting?

Maybe reduce the stock a bit more before adding the fish?

I always use spuds in mine, so runniness isn't usually a problem.

For meaty fish, defintiely worth trying monkfish and maybe whiting?

will do, ya i always use spuds 2. love monkfish in it.

Smoked haddock is excellent. I also use some anchovy fillets at the start, fry them with the onion to give a bit of extra savoury bite.

I never thought of that and I absolutely love anchovies. Thanks :D

I make a light roux of the onions (and soon to be anchovies) softened in butter, then stir in the hot milk I've just poached my fish in. Let it bubble and thicken, add peas, let them cook, add the flaked fish and demolish. No overcooking, no nasty watery soup. I've been known to sauté bacon bits until crispy, then take them out of the pan and soften my onion in the resulting fat and a knob of butter and take it from there. I add the bacon back in just before serving. It's really, really nice.

Advertisement