Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

People who take football so seriously?

• 23-01-2013 4:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭

Came up in another thread and I wanna see who agrees with me. Why do people take football so seriously. For example a team gets relegated and this is meant to mean disaster and heartbreak for all involved(I'm sure it hurts the footballers wages no doubt)

Liverpool were/are struggling and you see people comment how they ' ah jayziz just can't watch the reds anymore terrible so it is' or something like that. I mean seriously? Football is for fun, to see great players do amazing stuff, not to cry over some result that has no impact on your life.

The likes of Eamonn Dunphy are the type who take it far too seriously(and sport in general)

'Football isn't a matter of life and death, its more important'-People always use that but they fail to recognize that it was said ironically.

LMAO reminds me of this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MusyO7J2inM 'FOOTBALL WATCH WATCH WATCH IT ITS GOING TO MOVE' HAHAHAH

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

Try supporting none of the "top teams". There's much better joy in that. If people say that about Liverpool etc then they're bloody fickle supporters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

EdenHazard wrote: »
    Came up in another thread and I wanna see who agrees with me. Why do people take football so seriously. For example a team gets relegated and this is meant to mean disaster and heartbreak for all involved(I'm sure it hurts the footballers wages no doubt)

Liverpool were/are struggling and you see people comment how they 'just can't watch the reds anymore' or something like that. I mean seriously? Football is for fun, to see great players do amazing stuff, not to cry over some result that has no impact on your life.

The likes of Eamonn Dunphy are the type who take it so seriously(and sport in general)

'Football isn't a matter of life and death, its more important'-People always use that but they fail to recognize that it was said ironically.

Firsly it does impact your life, it can affect your mood it can make you happy, it can make you sad, it can positively make you question why you watch it but one thing it doesn't do is have no impact on your life.

Given the man that said that quote I highly doubt that it was said ironically, I dont believe it myself but some might

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

I think its called PASSION!

football is a passionate game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

As opposed to? I like tennis but I'm not gonna get too upset if a tennis player I like performs bad/wins etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Football can be heart breaking and joyful, depending on what end of the scale your team plays at.

Surely you can comprehend that? :confused:

Even Big clubs that win things have heart breaks, take chelsea in the UCL final in Moscow, heart break, even though the previous few years were full of sucess and trophies it paled when we lost the UCL,at the time our first final.

Clubs go through cycles of winning and losing so every fan will have tales of heart break, even Barca fans of the last decade could regale you of tales of old when they had heart breaking moments, even more recently, losing to Utd and Chelsea in UCL semi finals and losing the league last year most be heart breaking.

Some take football more seriosuly then others, some go to every game, some are happy to go over a few times a year and some have never graced a stadium in their lifes, whos to say that their support or how they precieve the seriousness of the football they support to be anything but the most important thing in their lifes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

As opposed to? I like tennis but I'm not gonna get too upset if a tennis player I like performs bad/wins etc.

Because tennis is shit, footballs a real sport.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

I like Bieber more than I like football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Football can be heart breaking and joyful, depending on what end of the scale your team plays at.

Surely you can comprehend that? :confused:

Even Big clubs that win things have heart breaks, take chelsea in the UCL final in Moscow, heart break, even though the previous few years were full of sucess and trophies it paled when we lost the UCL,a tt he time our first final.

Clubs go through cycles of winning and losing so every fan will have tales of heafrt break, even Barca fans of the last decade could regale you of tales of old when they had heart breaking moments, even more recently, losing to Utd and Chelsea in UCL semi finals and losing the league last year most be heart breaking.

Some take football more seriosuly then others, some go to every game, some are happy to go over a few times a year and some have never graced a stadium in their lifes, whos to say that their support or how they precieve the seriousness of the football they support to be anything but the most important thing in their lifes?
    Just to show some contrast, Moscow 2008 is one of my happiest memories :D

You clearly arent that passionate about who you support then.

Thats not a dig you may just have a love for the game as opposed to an undying love for a team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Football supporters are like tribes of Indians, defending their territories :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

I grew to hate Theirry Henry after his handball incident the very sight of him in a football game would set me off on a rant about the cheating fu*ker if it was any other sport i wouldnt really give a toss but the national team is where i get passionate. So yeah i definitely take that end of football seriously.

Owen_S wrote: »
    Just to show some contrast, Moscow 2008 is one of my happiest memories :D

B**tard. :p

If it wasnt for last May's vcitory you'd be getting banned. :pac:

Iang87 wrote: »
    You clearly arent that passionate about who you support then.

Thats not a dig you may just have a love for the game as opposed to an undying love for a team

I just support my two countries and follow players.

But even about countries, I love the joy of seeing them do well, it feels good. In 2010 when Landon scored that goal vs Algeria I went insane. When Ireland qualified for euro2012 I was buzzin. But contrast that to when Ireland got knocked out, the way people were going on was that if it actually mattered.
    Dunphy: ''The Irish people in these tough times deserve more than that'':rolleyes: Cringe.

The way people rolled their eyes at people just having a good time in the last match singing the fields of athenry as if they should be ashamed and so upset that their country was out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,076 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I would class myself as a big footie fan but I too have found myself questioning the game and the 'passion' that many fans show for it. Not sure if its due to all the money in it these days, wondering how much players really care about the team they play for, how much the club and the players care about their fan base etc.

I am a season ticket holder at a LoI club but have travelled a lot to various matches over Europe, CL finals etc. Now I do not have the same passion myself to do this, but this is probably down to marriage and a family arriving. I could still do it if I wanted to (honestly) but simply don't want to.

I used to watch all the matches on Sky, but I also cancelled my Sky package a couple of years ago as I found I wasn't watching many games. Now I can't remember the last live game I actually sat through for 90mins. I try to catch MOTD but if I don't see it I don't care too much.

Basically what I'm saying is that I have 'gone off' football a bit. Still enjoy going to my local team and playing it myself, but at the very top level its really only the later stages of the CL and the major tournaments that grab my attention these days.

As for fans worrying too much about it, I have seen Irish men fighting in the street over Man Utd v Liverpool games.

When I think of the passion of football I often think of this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wCz7NelwfU

Hahaha man I just posted it in the OP. Absolutely gas and sums it up.

I used to be like that. I start supporting Bohs, went to their games but then I was just like why bother. Was so boring just sitting there listening to inane chants.
    I'd rather play than watch others play. Even if I lived in Barcelona I'd prob go to the matches but it would be for the spectacle and occassion above all else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

if liverpool lose i need an hour to cool off but what makes it worse if someone says to me 'its only a game' i fkin hate that!....especially when its your gf who says it to you,i replied once 'i have loved liverpool long before i loved you' :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

If you want to look at it from a philosophical point of view, it's not really worth taking anything in life seriously. The only way that we get enjoyment from things though it to take them seriously and form an emotional attachment to it. There's an element of confirmation bias in supporting a football team but I don't care, I love doing it.

markie29 wrote: »
    if liverpool lose i need an hour to cool off but what makes it worse if someone says to me 'its only a game' i fkin hate that!....especially when its your gf who says it to you,i replied once 'i have loved liverpool long before i loved you' :D

The absolute worse thing anyone can say to you after a defeat.

Extra bonus points when its the missus that says it or when your team is losing and she says, " they're sh*t anyway " .

Maybe so, but they're my sh*t. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I was watching the pool united game in India, all the guys had pool and united jerseys on shouting and cheering just like if i was in a bar in Dublin. It got me thinking that these fans had the same passion for the English teams as an Irish man. Im even sure a Munich / Hillsborough argument broke out. Got me thinking that people take soccer way to seriously, has Munich or hillborough have any effect on these Indians lives, has Munich or Hillsborough or the Sun newspaper have in reality any effect on some Irish guys life? No

People take football way too seriously, the big clubs are a business and care very little about what you think. Support arsenal city or whoever is just like supporting tesco or shell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Its to do with the passion it sucks you in and you have a genuine interest in it.

Sometime long after a game it gives me a laugh looking back at my own reaction during it. The missus looks at me like I'm a fcuking lunatic sometimes, call every ref a fat c**t, telling her to 'look at that' thats not a foul when she is looking and it clearly was, the look is just comical. I can be like someone with turrets.

To walk out of the room after 90 minutes of it in foul humour, walk the dog and come back and live the rest of the day like it never happened!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Liverpool were/are struggling and you see people comment how they ' ah jayziz just can't watch the reds anymore terrible so it is' or something like that. I mean seriously? Football is for fun, to see great players do amazing stuff, not to cry over some result that has no impact on your life.

The likes of Eamonn Dunphy are the type who take it far too seriously(and sport in general)

LMAO reminds me of this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MusyO7J2inM 'FOOTBALL WATCH WATCH WATCH IT ITS GOING TO MOVE' HAHAHAH

Agree, its a sport, it should be treated as such, i hate when people define a good/bad weekend by how their team does

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Oscorp

Completely inaccurate.

If I could afford to I'd take it even more serious.

5 games or so a season is only a tease:-(

Oscorp wrote: »
    Completely inaccurate.

Well if it wasn't Shankley was a clown

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I hold the opposite view on something football related to EdenHazard and Oranange2.

Yay, the world is still right, praise jebus, etc. If this ever changes I will be a sad panda.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Oscorp

If passionate dedication to one's preferred profession is clownish then sign me up for the circus.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Right. So instead of foolish people not realising the obvious, it might just be you made it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

If you have to ask the question..................

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭itac

I think it's all in relation to your love for your club. Sligo Rovers are without a doubt, my first love, and have broken my heart more than any boyfriend, but have also made me fall back in love with them so easily! Have been following them for most of my life, and I have cried more and smiled more because of them. When we won the league last year, it was the first time we won it in my lifetime -I was in tears for half the celebrations, because it felt so wonderful!

I follow Newcastle Utd in England, and their result, while it matters to me, will never matter as much as Rovers. Toon loose an important match, I think "ahh feck" and every day life carries on. Yet there's something about the club you truly love that gets under your skin and stays there. When we lost the FAI cup to Fingal in 2009, I was in a bad mood for the rest of that day and the following one. Over-reaction? Maybe? But I've been in bad moods over catching my hand in a door, or fcuking up something at work too and they've stayed with me, so maybe I'm just a moody cow?!

I guess, for me, it's because I've grown up around the bit o'red, I've watched friends and old classmates pull on the jersey and play their hearts out, and I've watched players come in from England, America & Cameroon who've done likewise and who adopted Sligo as their home. I've watched us get relegated, I've watched us win trophies, and everytime we score a goal or win a match, it feels fcukin deadly!

The weeks around the title win last year were wonderful happy smiley times, because every time things were going wrong, I could cheer myself up with the memory of Quigs scoring that penalty and jumping up and down like a loon hugging my big bro, who brought me to my first match, and my niece, who I occasionally bring to matches....it was lovely.

So yes, I guess I do take football kinda seriously but with a lotta enjoyment and happy thoughts too....much like my life.
    Roll on March!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Kells...

For not PM'ing me you bastard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I personally can't help it.

The club scene has improved for me. I don't take Liverpool losses nearly as badly as I used to (probably greater realisation that there are 50+ games a season).

Internationals still hurt alot.

But my own games have taken over and it pretty much ruins my Saturday if I lose my match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Try being a Man Utd Hibs and Ireland supporter between mid May and June last year.

Now that is suffering.

Once match is over though I don't take a bad result out on anybody. I Appreciate the good times and try and enjoy them cause you never know when special moments happen again.

I have always hated people referring to the football club they support as if they are personally attached to it or if they own it.

"We should have won ..."
    "who are we playing next week".

Don't mind if its their local club, but if its a foreign team that they have visited once in their life.

NIMAN wrote: »
    I have always hated people referring to the football club they support as if they are personally attached to it or if they own it.

"We should have won ..."

Don't mind if its their local club, but if its a foreign team that they have visited once in their life.

Some people get annoyed by the most ridiculous things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I see football as a far more benign and less preachy version of religion.

It's nice to get tribal and give rationality the two fingers but football has the bonus of not inflicting bigotry and bull**** on the rest of society to the same degree.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

"We should have won ..."

What id it's a foreign team they have visited lots in their life?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

I was in bits for days after Shels lost promotion with the final kick of the season against Limerick. Id be pissed off for a few hours after any game we lose - mates know to stay away while I reflect. Never been that close to any team in England or abroad & couldn't care about the national team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

"We should have won ..."

Agree - I read some absolute cringe posts on here and facebook, I use it when talking about Shels though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I just support my two countries and follow players.

But even about countries, I love the joy of seeing them do well, it feels good. In 2010 when Landon scored that goal vs Algeria I went insane. When Ireland qualified for euro2012 I was buzzin. But contrast that to when Ireland got knocked out, the way people were going on was that if it actually mattered.
    Dunphy: ''The Irish people in these tough times deserve more than that'':rolleyes: Cringe.

The way people rolled their eyes at people just having a good time in the last match singing the fields of athenry as if they should be ashamed and so upset that their country was out

No offence meant but it's a lot easier to form a bond with a club and it's players than it is with a country. Supporting a country often is chosen for you and undoubtedly people will support it with passion and pride no doubt, but it is different because club teams have day to day interests and goings on, International teams do not, of course you would be very passionate about something you have an interest in every single day.

You said it yourself about your countries "I love the joy of them doing well", now multiply that joy/despair 50 times a season and you will surely see why people get passionate about teams.

Me personally, I could never imagine not following a team, either local or an interest in a 'foreign' team. I support both, the local one with as much passion as I do with anything else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I don't understand the way some people use 'foreign' as a dirty word

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,391 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Who'd pull more, Bieber or Fergie?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I was in bits for days after Shels lost promotion with the final kick of the season against Limerick. Id be pissed off for a few hours after any game we lose - mates know to stay away while I reflect. Never been that close to any team in England or abroad & couldn't care about the national team.

I know a Shels fan who still hasn't talked about that night...

End of 2010 season had euphoric highs and disastrous lows within two weeks.

"We should have won ..."

Its drilled into you that you're a part of the club. Managers say it, players say it, owners say it.

Take Man Utd, arguably the biggest in the world. Now the fans stop going, now the fans stop buying all the merchandise, you're left with a big building and crippling overheads.

Thats why people say we. As it happens I dont say we but have no problem with people saying we

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

What a stupid ****ing thread.

Basically "Why do some people take football more seriously than others".

I take football seriously when I play it and when I watch it because I love it. I dont expect everyone to feel the same. Everyone has varying levels of interest.

Also, what a stupid ****ing thread.

joe123 wrote: »
    What a stupid ****ing thread.

Basically "Why do some people take football more seriously than others".

I take football seriously when I play it and when I watch it because I love it. I dont expect everyone to feel the same. Everyone has varying levels of interest.

Also, what a stupid ****ing thread.

Maybe you're a stupid thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Eden's American? Well that explains a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

You just dont get it.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Liam O wrote: »
    Who'd pull more, Bieber or Fergie?

#CutForFergie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Iang87 wrote: »
    Maybe you're a stupid thread

Philosopher.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement