Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone provider tracking use by serial number

Options
  • 23-01-2013 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I'm just wondering something - a friend told me that a phone provider can track when a phone was last used from the serial number?

I wouldn't have thought so. I thought the serial number can be used to block the phone but I didn't think they could track use.

I thought use was tracked by the sim card.

Am I correct or incorrect?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Max Power 2010

An operator can track using Phone Number, IMEI (Serial Number) or IMSI Number (Sim Card).

All these details are passed in CDR's (call information) and paging (Location Update, so the network knows where you are so it can route calls to you).

The network constantly authenticates your sim & equipment basically, making you traceable by either of them.

Advertisement