Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way of sending a text file from local pc to remote server

Options
  • 23-01-2013 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hello,
    What is the best way of sending a locally generated text file to a remote server for further processing.(manual ftp ing is not preffered)
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

Hello,
    What is the best way of sending a locally generated text file to a remote server for further processing.(manual ftp ing is not preffered)
    Thanks

You could send it via HTTP POST, to be honest you need to give a bit more information than two sentences for anyone to be able to suggest a reasonable solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

No manual ftping?

Ok then, use automated ftp via script. Since it's 2013 use scp ofc, noone uses ftp anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

No one, like Bloomberg.

No one, like Bloomberg.

Aye, although it should be, its no where near dead yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Of course, I'm just a not fan of ridiculous sweeping statements.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

scp

• Registered Users Posts: 40 team eGlobe

ChRoMe wrote: »
    You could send it via HTTP POST, to be honest you need to give a bit more information than two sentences for anyone to be able to suggest a reasonable solution.

Thanks Chrome. Sorry about my vague description. Trying to do again...

I have a third-party desktop application installed on my PC say TT.
    Each time I use and complete a task using TT, it generates a .txt file (say xtt.txt) and stores in a location C:\TT
    After completing a task on TT, I want to send the generated xtt.txt to a specific location remote server.
    In the remote server xtt.txt will be read and do some calculations, insert to db etc will happen.

I need help to send xtt.txt from local PC to remote server.

Thanks

Thanks Chrome. Sorry about my vague description. Trying to do again...

I have a third-party desktop application installed on my PC say TT.
    Each time I use and complete a task using TT, it generates a .txt file (say xtt.txt) and stores in a location C:\TT
    After completing a task on TT, I want to send the generated xtt.txt to a specific location remote server.
    In the remote server xtt.txt will be read and do some calculations, insert to db etc will happen.

I need help to send xtt.txt from local PC to remote server.

Thanks

Heh... lets start at the start :)

Is the destination server Linux or Windows?

Heh... lets start at the start :)

Is the destination server Linux or Windows?
    Destination server is Linux and further processing of this txt file will be using PHP code.

Destination server is Linux and further processing of this txt file will be using PHP code.

I presume the software is running on Windows?

• Advertisement

I presume the software is running on Windows?
    Yes always. and user have full rights to install anything.

Just make a batch file and put the manual commands in there.

You do know how to do this manually right? That is the first step. I suggest you install something like putty or winscp.

Yes I use ftp clients for manual transfer. is it possible to do this in a batch file like specifying input file, destination folder, ftp login details etc. and transfer just by a double clicking that batch file?

Yes very easily. Just read the documentation for ftp. Lots of relevant stuff here -> http://www.dostips.com/DtCodeBatchFiles.php

It just involves adding some parameters to the ftp command. Or you can even have ftp read the commands from a file. So you just put the normal commands you would issue manually into a file, then it executes them one by one.

Thanks very much srsly78. I wasn't thinking in this direction at all. thought of doing this with java or ajax. after your post got this http://winscp.net/eng/docs/scripting. I think this is enough. will post again if I am stuck. Thanks guys

Advertisement