Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VAT on products on shipping for international markets

Options
  • 23-01-2013 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

I currently have a few stores and am in the process of setting up an online store.

I would like to ship products worldwide and I am in talks with various courier companies. I am just wondering what the story is with VAT rates when selling for abroad and also tax on shipping? I am very unfamiliar with this and checked around on websites such as the revenue but still need clarification from possibly someone that does this or is in the know.

Our products range from full vat rate, reduced and nill when selling here.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

If you are selling to customers outside the EU, you do not charge VAT. If you are selling to businesses within the EU, you do not have to charge them VAT IF they provide you with a valid VAT number registered to the company that you are selling to and in that country. If you are selling to consumers ( private buyers) you charge them Irish VAT.
    There is quite a high threshold (more than 1M Euro per year I think, Revenue will advise) for inter EU state B2C sales , above which you have to charge their own country VAT rate...as Amamzon now do on sales into Ireland.

cheers

Peter

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Test Plan

I eventually found this elsewhere but will paste it here for reference for anyone else. Assuming it's correct of course!
    Assuming your are registered for VAT in Ireland
    - Business or Consumer in Ireland you must charge VAT unless the business has a VAT 13A exemption
    - Business in the other 26 EU countries - no VAT, but they must supply you with the VAT registration number they have in their country
    - Business or Consumer outside the EU - no VAT, they must deal with the VAT and Duty, if any, in their country when they get the goods themselves
    - Consumer in other 26 EU countries - Irish VAT rate (if you get really big selling to consumers in another EU country you may have to register in that EU country for VAT and charge their VAT rates. This can be to your competitive benefit as VAT rate in the UK and some other EU countries is lower)

Advertisement