Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

End of NTL?

• 23-01-2013 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭

Today I couldn't ftp to my webspace because the upload.ntlworld.ie server no longer existed and had to be changed to upload.upc.ie. Is that the end of NTL or are there vestiges of it lingering elsewhere?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,475 ✭✭✭✭Alun

MHP wrote: »
    Today I couldn't ftp to my webspace because the upload.ntlworld.ie server no longer existed and had to be changed to upload.upc.ie. Is that the end of NTL or are there vestiges of it lingering elsewhere?
    If I do a reverse DNS lookup on my current IP address it resolves to nnn-nnn-nnnnnn.ntlworld.ie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Were ntl doing cable broadband for long before UPC bought them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,472 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

About 5 years (00-05)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭lynchie

Alun wrote: »
    If I do a reverse DNS lookup on my current IP address it resolves to nnn-nnn-nnnnnn.ntlworld.ie.

Strange that, as ntlworld.ie has been removed by the iedr so those reverse dns lookups resolve to invalid hostnames. Must be just a delay in the upc dns updates propagating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,475 ✭✭✭✭Alun

lynchie wrote: »
    Strange that, as ntlworld.ie has been removed by the iedr so those reverse dns lookups resolve to invalid hostnames. Must be just a delay in the upc dns updates propagating.
    It's been like that for ages, several months at least. It's only the reverse lookups that succeed though, also on Google's DNS servers, but a lookup of the hostname fails. Odd.

Mind you, UPC are particularly sloppy when it comes to reverse DNS lookups .. if you traceroute through their network not one router shows up with a hostname.

• Advertisement
Advertisement