Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ex-pat pension help

Options
  • 23-01-2013 5:31pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have just spent the last 15 years working in France, paying into the state pension scheme as well as a company (Orange) pension scheme.

I have now moved to the USA. I intend on spending 3-5 years working here before returning to Europe (Britain or Ireland). Over here we have a similar plan, the 401k, as well as a similar pension retirement fund that we can pay into.

What I want to avoid is when I retire, (I am 38 years old), then I end up with not as much value as I could have had if I had stayed working in the same country all my life.

I believe that the pension savings I have made in France and in the USA will be 'recognised' in Ireland due to our Bilateral Social Security Agreements.

I feel that I should be saving more money today now that I have some to save but I'm unsure if I should be doing that in the USA or ireland or if I'm even able to save money in an Irish banking institite without being a resident there.

I got most of my information from Citizens Information.

Any thing that I should be doing today to prepare for the future ?

Advertisement