Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Management Company Responsibilities

Options
  • 23-01-2013 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

I own my own apartment and pay management fees every year, recently I've noticed the windows are looking rather dirty..

Can I get the management company to clean the outside of them or is this my responsibility?

Being on the third floor, this is kind of tricky!:P

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

I own my own apartment and pay management fees every year, recently I've noticed the windows are looking rather dirty..

Can I get the management company to clean the outside of them or is this my responsibility?

Being on the third floor, this is kind of tricky!:P

Thanks.

You can request the company to do this. If it is included in the service fee then why are they not doing it already? Lack of funds possibly. If it is not even included then request it is, the increased fee will be issued at the next AGM assuming the directors agree and include it.

No resident would be expected to clean windows at that height unless the windows are designed to be cleaned from the inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 scribbles2013

Thanks for the reply, I must get on to them and see what they say about it.

And I've no idea why it has never been done before, they are pretty useless from what I can see!

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Luca Brasi

Thanks for the reply, I must get on to them and see what they say about it.

And I've no idea why it has never been done before, they are pretty useless from what I can see!

The best apartment complexes are the ones where the owners take ana ctive interest either by managing the property themselves or by ensuring that there is a good management agent in place.

Unfortunately there are too many complexes where owners dont give a damm and make an issue of paying management fees or dont bother to pay. A lot of these are going to go to the wall due to lack of funds.
    Its vital that owners attend AGM and ask questions about management of their property

As regards window cleaning properly managed complexes will have windows cleaned reasonable regularly

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Luca Brasi wrote: »
    As regards window cleaning properly managed complexes will have windows cleaned reasonable regularly

That all depends. We have had it done only once in 7 years. Each year, at the AGM, it comes up, and when we discuss it, it is generally decided that it's a cost we don't need.

It really depends on what the majority want, at an AGM, and how it's voted.

Costs for cleaning windows, especially when it requires a cherry-picker or such, can be expensive enough.

No harm in asking your management agent though and see what is said.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Fortunately my windows can be cleaned from the inside by sitting on the windowsill, so I do it every few weeks. Makes a MASSIVE difference to how the apartment looks, far more than you'd expect.

The management co haven't done it here while I've been around, which is a shame. But since I can do it myself, its not something I've brought up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭landcrzr

I just mentioned this on a thread today. Usually your boundary or limits of ownership in an apartment consist the space inside the perimeter walls (the air inside the apartment) extending to the outside of your windows, so cleaning the windows may well be within your responsibility. That said, articles of agreement in each management company will vary and as you say, you are on the third floor and maybe the windows don't turn enough to be cleaned.
    The management company where I live clean the windows but I can imagine a management company that is low on funds will prioritise refuse collection, insurance etc over cleaning windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Have a Google for a gadget to clean the windows from the inside using a magnet. Third floor can be cleaned from the ground by most companies

Advertisement