Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Options
  • 23-01-2013 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

So complete newbie here, I can run 5k (just about) and used to be quite a good swimmer and do 8k cycle to work in the summer months BUT I have never done them altogether and would not consider myself very fit.
    I have just given up smoking and have set myself a target of doing a triathalon. So my questions are these :

How long training would you need to do one? I would only get out about 3 hours a week, is this enough ? or what is the recommended

Is there a small one to start, i saw a novice one in Limerick, (Joey Hannon), is there any other small ones or any recommendations for an easy -ish one?

Any other advice would also be most welcome or any direction to get advice

Thanks
    Clio

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jester1980

Athy has a beginner one as well in June.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

jester1980 wrote: »
    Athy has a beginner one as well in June.

Ya but if they are a good swimmer and can run 5k i'd do the sprint !

Tri Laois on April 6th is ideal for a beginner it was my 1st tri two years ago and over 50% of those who did it were first timers !

• Registered Users Posts: 36 culturedkevin

Ya but if they are a good swimmer and can run 5k i'd do the sprint !

Tri Laois on April 6th is ideal for a beginner it was my 1st tri two years ago and over 50% of those who did it were first timers !

I agree totally. The swim is what catches most people so if you cam manage that you're more than half way there. There are plenty of try a tri's out there. Check out https://www.triathlonireland-newserver.com/local-races.html and you'll find a race that suits you.

You should also think of joining your local Tri club. They would have organised training session that will bring you on and plenty of people to train with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

For a beginner you can't beat Tri Laois or Tri795. Both are pool swims and are very beginner friendly. Tri Laois has the advantage of being early in the season so if you get bitten by the bug you can race again in the summer; Tri795 is later in the season but the swim is only 500m. Both are pool tri's so no need for wetsuits. I've done Tri Laois 3 times and love it; I marshal at Tri795 every year having been on the organising committee in its first year so I'm biased about this one :)

griffin100 wrote: »
    For a beginner you can't beat Tri Laois or Tri795. Both are pool swims and are very beginner friendly. Tri Laois has the advantage of being early in the season so if you get bitten by the bug you can race again in the summer; Tri795 is later in the season but the swim is only 500m. Both are pool tri's so no need for wetsuits. I've done Tri Laois 3 times and love it; I marshal at Tri795 every year having been on the organising committee in its first year so I'm biased about this one :)

When is it on this year i can't see it on the TI website and by jaysus you better bring back the soup !!!

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I didnt think 795 was on this year?

I'll check it out. I'm not really involved with the club anymore, I just help out at the race.

Nope, no Tri795 this year. That's a real shame, this was a great, small, beginner friendly race - even if I am biased. Talking to one of the lads in the club it came down to a difficulty in finding marshals and not being able to guarentee that they'd be available on the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Nope, no Tri795 this year. That's a real shame, this was a great, small, beginner friendly race - even if I am biased. Talking to one of the lads in the club it came down to a difficulty in finding marshals and not being able to guarentee that they'd be available on the day.

Aw, that's a real pity. This was a great little race, and the effort put in by Racing795 was evident in how well it operated. Smiling faces everywhere you looked. Anyway, thanks for the memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

That's a pity alright, really enjoyed that race last year. We will have to sort out a different race to renew our rivalry Kurt ;)

• Advertisement

:( i was looking forward to my 3rd year doing it, i can't see Carrick on Suir on on the Ti website either !

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭cheesefiend

Oh no! I planned to do 795 for my first tri this year. I'll have to keep looking.

I'm a beginner too and probably a lot less fit then you so I have absolutely no advice for you, but best of luck. :)

ETA: Just having a look around now, has anyone tried the super-sprint or sprint distance at trigrandprix in Kilkenny? Would it be a good first time course?

Oh no! I planned to do 795 for my first tri this year. I'll have to keep looking.

I'm a beginner too and probably a lot less fit then you so I have absolutely no advice for you, but best of luck. :)

ETA: Just having a look around now, has anyone tried the super-sprint or sprint distance at trigrandprix in Kilkenny? Would it be a good first time course?

Just a word of advice, that race won't be discussed here for reasons i won't go into!

:( i was looking forward to my 3rd year doing it, i can't see Carrick on Suir on on the Ti website either !

That's another one of my favourite races. Is there a pattern of small club races being lost from the calendar? I would expect that poorly run races would fail after a couple of years but Tri795 and Carrick were anything but poorly run.

That's another one of my favourite races. Is there a pattern of small club races being lost from the calendar? I would expect that poorly run races would fail after a couple of years but Tri795 and Carrick were anything but poorly run.

Ya the problem with a lot of races is that club members don't want to marshall and want to race. Its only one day of the year and its a way of showing what your club can do so its worth it !

Tri Laois is our own club race and i think this is the 6th year of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭clionaricho

Thanks everyone for the advice, I actually attended an open day for Pulse Club in Tallaght on Saturday and they were a mine of information and soooooooooooooo helpful, thanks to everyone there.

I have decided on the Joey Hannon tri a try in April and hopefully will get a bigger one in before the ned of the season, I want to get bitten by this bug :D

Thanks everyone for the advice, I actually attended an open day for Pulse Club in Tallaght on Saturday and they were a mine of information and soooooooooooooo helpful, thanks to everyone there.

I have decided on the Joey Hannon tri a try in April and hopefully will get a bigger one in before the ned of the season, I want to get bitten by this bug :D

Fair play,

I think i'll do the sprint that day i'm undecided on that or the Olympic !

Carrick on suir is down for July 14:D

Advertisement