Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Front and Rear bag

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

They are a good item, but for range shooting (50mtr) you really want to be looking at a proper rest and rear bag. Better stability, and much more useful.

Check out dev110's thread just below this one for the same topic.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭nastros

Cass wrote: »
    They are a good item, but for range shooting (50mtr) you really want to be looking at a proper rest and rear bag. Better stability, and much more useful.

Check out dev110's thread just below this one for the same topic.
    Thanks Cass I saw the dev110's thread earlier. Its more a case of a short term solution till I get the funds together to buy a proper rest and rear bag.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

It's definitely a suitable short term solution. However a Caldwell Rock rest and rear bag would cost you around €150 - €160 new. So spending €35 - €40 on this to change it shortly might not be the best option. I know times are tight for everyone, but perhaps have a look out for second hand ones before investing in the one on ebay.

The front bag of that kit is just that, a bag. It is not rigid, and will support the rifle but any movement will be transferred to the rifle, and your scores may suffer as a result.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,059 ✭✭✭clivej

Cass wrote: »
    It's definitely a suitable short term solution. However a Caldwell Rock rest and rear bag would cost you around €150 - €160 new. So spending €35 - €40 on this to change it shortly might not be the best option. I know times are tight for everyone, but perhaps have a look out for second hand ones before investing in the one on ebay.

The front bag of that kit is just that, a bag. It is not rigid, and will support the rifle but any movement will be transferred to the rifle, and your scores may suffer as a result.

That is what I started off with but soon realised the limitations of them and got a proper front rest and better rear bag. Gave then away after.

I got the big Caldwell BR rest but sold it after I got out of BR and longer range shooting.

I'm getting back into IS BR now in a small with a CZ .22 varmint and will be looking to get another front rest.

I'll try to source the smaller 'Caldwell Rock' as it has a bit of weight and can go lower. i already have the good Proctor rear bags.

Its better than the Rock Jr and not as good as the Rock BR but will do me for now

http://www.battenfeldtechnologies.com/caldwell/catalog.asp?product=the-rock
    383774-large.jpg

Advertisement