Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NAS Setup Advice

Options
  • 23-01-2013 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to setup a NAS in my apartment. My place is wired up with CATV everywhere, so the actual networking part of it shouldn't be a problem. I'm wondering what enclosure would you recommend and what hard drives would you recommend?

I'm going to be using the NAS for storing music and video files to stream to my Mac, Xbox and, if possible, my Apple TV (it's the 1080p version, so can't be jailbroken). I'm currently using Beamer to indirectly stream video content to my Apple TV. A built in BitTorrent client would be desirable too.

Based on my own research, I've come up with the QNAP TS-212 and 3TB Seagate Barracuda drives. Both on the pricey side, but seem to be generally positively reviewed.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

That QNAP TS-212 is £143.90 Sterling in that link.

I just bought a 2 bay Zyzel 325 from Dabs for around €98. (Euro)

At first glance, the Zyzel processor is faster, 1.6Ghz as opposed to 1.2Ghz,it has 512Mb Ram as opposed to 256Mb.
    Also it's unrooted and you can add packages to it.

You mentioned Apple TV, and there's is a comparison review which says it can't handle "Apple Filing Protocol/Bonjour" & "AppleTalk".
    I don't know of that means you can't use it on the Apple TV, or whether the Apple TV can pick up the DLNA server anyway.

Comparison Review with another product

So far, I copied 1Tb to it and can view SD movies over wireless, on my laptop and on my Android phone ( with Sifta & VLC Apps )
    ( Only a quick trial, haven't sat through a full one for issues).

My Samsung 7 Series Tv was able to view the DLNA media ( photos/movies), but crashed when trying to play them.
    But that could be down to TV or the cheapo wireless router I used to hook up to my main wireless router, plug a LAN cable into the TV.

Advertisement