Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Static IP Address (two types?)

• 23-01-2013 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hi all,

Question about setting up a static IP for port forwarding. Most articles say I need a static IP address. Is this just giving a device a static IP address for your router so its always the same IPv4 address. I take it this different to buying a static IP address from you ISP as I have a dynamic IP address? Static IP address cost extra.

Cheers

(Sorry if I'm in wrong section)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,313 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Digiweb gave me one for free and Eircom charged me €50 it all depends on your ISP. Give them a buzz and see will they do it for nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

smjpl wrote: »
    Hi all,

Question about setting up a static IP for port forwarding. Most articles say I need a static IP address. Is this just giving a device a static IP address for your router so its always the same IPv4 address. I take it this different to buying a static IP address from you ISP as I have a dynamic IP address? Static IP address cost extra.

Cheers

(Sorry if I'm in wrong section)

What are you trying to set up?
    Generally, if you're setting up a port forwarding rule to a specific device, set that device to have a static IP address, so it doesn't change every time it's powered on.

This is different to a Static IP address provided by an ISP. That would be an external Internet address.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭smjpl

Does that mean I do need to get a static IP address to port forward? I suppose its worth chancing your arm but I don't particularly want to change ISP. I'm with vodafone. Anyone now what the score with them and static IP addresses are?

Cheers for reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭smjpl

roast wrote: »
    What are you trying to set up?
    Generally, if you're setting up a port forwarding rule to a specific device, set that device to have a static IP address, so it doesn't change every time it's powered on.

This is different to a Static IP address provided by an ISP. That would be an external Internet address.

Roast you're a beauty ;). Exactly what I needed to hear. They should really make that a bit clearer.

Internal & external IP addresses are different!

I know I'm probably the moron for not knowing it but NOT ANYMORE!!!!
    Cheers mate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

No worries buddy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

There used to be a free service called dyndns that could help you track your external dynamic ip address but they now appear to charge for their service. A quick google for free alternatives has brought up the following name. This company also charges for their services, but has a free version that would most likely take care of your needs i.e. you need to connect to your network from externally and are not sure of your IP address.

http://www.noip.com/services/managed_dns/free_dynamic_dns.html

Set your router to port forward to what ever system and you should be sorted.

Advertisement