Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Really insecure Yorkie - Kennel

• 23-01-2013 7:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Need some advice about my 2.5 year old Yorkie. We rescued her from a puppy farm and she's always been very insecure and nervous which is probably to do with her traumatic start in life.

I live with my parents and she is our family pet. My mam is at home everyday so she is never really left alone. However when she is left alone she sits in the front window barking her head off until we come home. Another example of how bad she is, if she's in my room asleep on my bed, I will stand up to get something or go out of the room, and when I have just started to get up - she hops up, with her ears up, leaps off the bed and will follow me around all skittish and jittery! It's like she can't relax, I even stood up a couple of times one day to see if she continues doing it - she does.

It's a little nerve wracking at times and and my brothers wedding is in June which is an overnight thing as its not in Dublin where I live. We don't know what to do about her because we can't leave her on her own for so long obviously. I'm worried as I wouldn't leave her with any friends as they all have more than one indoor cat so it just wouldn't work! I can't think of anyone I would leave her with, I know she wouldn't relax and would probably make their evening a nightmare with her antics!

Does anyone know of any really reliable Kennels that are trustworthy and decent. Preferably in Dublin area and apologies if I sound like I'm mothering this dog haha :) I'd appreciate some advice, maybe someone will even advise me on some behaviour training and where to go :)

Thanks in advance! Ps she doesn't look small in the pic but she is tiny :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Aw she's very cute. Where's the wedding, there might be a good kennel on the way. I would suggest home boarding rather than kennels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭DeltaWhite

TillyGirl wrote: »
    Aw she's very cute. Where's the wedding, there might be a good kennel on the way. I would suggest home boarding rather than kennels.

Thanks for your reply! It's in Cavan so there would have to be something along the way!

I have to say I'm quite apprehensive about leaving her in Kennels so I like the sound of this home boarding!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Best of luck with it. I don't know any in that area, the one I use is in Galway. Someone here should be able to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭teacherspet

There is a home boarding place just outside cavan town. It's called Ard Na gapall or something similar. It's a b&b plus kennels. It also does home boarding. I left my dogs in the kennels and found very good. Dogs were not stressed at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭teacherspet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭Burdock

There's a girl in Swords that looks after my dogs when I go away. It's not a kennel, she looks after them in her house and takes them down to the beach twice a day for walks.

She's great with dogs, wouldn't put mine anywhere else. The dogs stay in their own beds in her house and she updates her facebook with pics of the dogs she's looking after daily.

Feel free to PM me if you want her number :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

DeltaWhite wrote: »
    Hi all

Need some advice about my 2.5 year old Yorkie. We rescued her from a puppy farm and she's always been very insecure and nervous which is probably to do with her traumatic start in life.

I live with my parents and she is our family pet. My mam is at home everyday so she is never really left alone. However when she is left alone she sits in the front window barking her head off until we come home. Another example of how bad she is, if she's in my room asleep on my bed, I will stand up to get something or go out of the room, and when I have just started to get up - she hops up, with her ears up, leaps off the bed and will follow me around all skittish and jittery! It's like she can't relax, I even stood up a couple of times one day to see if she continues doing it - she does.

It's a little nerve wracking at times and and my brothers wedding is in June which is an overnight thing as its not in Dublin where I live. We don't know what to do about her because we can't leave her on her own for so long obviously. I'm worried as I wouldn't leave her with any friends as they all have more than one indoor cat so it just wouldn't work! I can't think of anyone I would leave her with, I know she wouldn't relax and would probably make their evening a nightmare with her antics!

Does anyone know of any really reliable Kennels that are trustworthy and decent. Preferably in Dublin area and apologies if I sound like I'm mothering this dog haha :) I'd appreciate some advice, maybe someone will even advise me on some behaviour training and where to go :)

maybe you could get a friend to stay over at your house for the duration of your trip away baby sitting and security all in one

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Qwerty Dub

DeltaWhite wrote: »
    Hi all

I have left my Lab pup in the kennels in Kentstown, Navan on a few occasions without any problems at all. Granted this is the breeders where I got her from so I felt very comfortable but they are a pleasure to deal with and she never seemed down or stressed when we picked her up and would always be dying to get in when we pulled up outside. €13 a night I think it is (been a while since I dropped her down) and its pretty much on your way from Dublin to Cavan (small detour). Always busy when we were there so that has to be a good sign.

Here is the link to the location: http://goo.gl/maps/ZiFOu

Advertisement