Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

42% of entire Euro zone crisis paid for by Ireland according to Eurostat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Poster Boy wrote: »
    With due respect, Irish banks were only able to loan fast loans after they had been given fast loans by other outside financial institutes.

Ipso facto, the ball didn't start with us - and shouldn't stop with us either.

Hence it is insanity that the Irish people are being pursued through a process of collective guilt for the actions of the financial institutions.

The "Ireland caused..." narrative is more of the Big Lie, where an illegal repugnant fix on Irish citizens for the actions of European financial institutes sounds reasonable. It is simply not.

The ball didn't start with us, other banks such as Lehman failed and our gov had a panic attack.
    The ball isn't stopping with us, look at Greece, Italy etc.

Our economy was too reliant on 1 industry and when that went t*ts up so did our economy.
    Irish banks completely f*cked up. Its not fair that the Irish taxpayer has foot the bill.

Yes foreign banks gambled, lost and are still getting a pay out. However, if Irl had given the 2 fingers to Europe what would be the end result regarding looking for future finance??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,469 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

dvpower wrote: »
    Is Lenihan didn't introduce the blanket guarantee, then the alternative was ... who can say ... armageddon according to the banks.

But we did, and we can't just turn back the clock because it turned out to be a dumb decision - remember that it was quite broadly hailed as a brave stroke of genius at the time.

So nobody knows if what the banks gave us was loans or investment capital? Seems a fairly important question.

see my post above.

we are not giving money away as such, we are helping to keep the wheels turning.

Yes but you didn't answer my question. You said they're not a broker.

Okay that's fine, is the money we are now paying back a standard loan(s) that was given or was it investment capital that could always potentially lose out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Ush1 wrote: »
    So nobody knows if what the banks gave us was loans or investment capital? Seems a fairly important question.
    What do you mean nobody knows?

The banks are funded by a mix of deposits and bonds (and other loans and share equity etc). A deposit is a loan, an interest bearing loan is a kind of investment (with very low risk), a bond is an investment, a senior secured bond is an investment carrying very low risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dlouth15

K-9 wrote: »
    The figures just don't look accurate, for example no sign of the £119 Billion cash the UK paid http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-07-16/u-k-bank-bailout-costs-halved-to-356-billion-watchdog-says.html.
    To answer that you would need access to the raw data upon which the figures were based. However it is important to note that the Eurostat figures are net figures, not merely sums of money put into the banks. Therefore you won't necessarily see particular amounts reflected in them as reported in the press.

• Advertisement

What do you mean nobody knows?

The banks are funded by a mix of deposits and bonds (and other loans and share equity etc). A deposit is a loan, an interest bearing loan is a kind of investment (with very low risk), a bond is an investment, a senior secured bond is an investment carrying very low risk.

So presumably we'd be only liable to pay back loans rather than investments, had we not went with the guarantee?

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

Were the banks loaned money by the European banks(like how you or I would borrow money), or was it the European banks making an investment in them (ie. a gamble such a shares)?

The Irish banks sought out the money.

The way people in here make it sound like, was that the banks in Europe were throwing money at the Irish banks, which is wrong.

Irish banks were going out onto the interbank lending market and borrowing large sums of money to raise capital, they gave this to Irish people in the form of loans, and made daft investments with this money themselves.

There whole system was based on refinancing this debt which depended on the interbank lending market, (lots of banks do this). Regulation implies that banks always need to have enough cash to pay out any deposit accounts.

In 2008 there was a run of capital from Irish banks, as foreign money which was on deposit here for tax and other investment purposes was withdrawn to be placed in safer bets, the banks had a problem, they didn't have enough cash to meet this demand and could not borrow due to the interbank lending market freezing up.

This problem on its own would have been okay, give them a bail out, they can refinance there loans, and have enough capital to meet deposits, stop lending out any money, just recoup what you have lent out and turn little or no profit until you get back on your feet.

But up pops the great "good times" housing boom, which was driven by banks lending out cheap money, to developers to build houses, and to people to buy houses. Now when there were no loans being given out people could not buy houses and continue to drive up house prices. Then property developers who were just about re-financing their loans based on the fact they could sell the next development for a higher price than the last, were not able to re-fiance as nobody had money to buy, and nobody had money to lend.

Next the house prices started to fall, Oppps! most of the Irish banks debt was in the Irish property market so now they were facing insolvency, due to the fact that their assets (Irish houses/property loans) were falling in value so the liability on these assets was greater than what they were worth. Nobody does business with an insolvent bank.

So we are left with a situation as follows, which is very long winded, but please read to the bottom just to see how the Irish "good times" boom was funded.

Irish Banks borrow money, which they now can't pay back.

Irish property developers borrow the borrowed money from banks to build their little empire, they can't pay the Irish banks back.

The Irish people borrow the borrowed money from Irish banks to buy houses built with borrowed money. Creating the property bubble and generating the profits which are all just borrowed money.

The people who are working in the property industry are paid using the property developers borrowed money. Which they then use to pay back the money which they have borrowed to buy their house. (Maybe buy a few German products as well)

Now we have the Government who is collecting stamp duty (which is paid for with borrowed money) and then giving this revenue in the form of benchmarking to the public sector, so they are now being paid with the receipts of borrowed money.

So as you can see the whole Irish "good times" boom was funded by a big slush of borrowed money, which we now have to pay back.

The annoying point to me, is allowing bankers and property developers cream off the profits (which after all was just borrowed money), they should be hounded until they give some of it back, but alas they were even more greedy and dumped this money into stupid investments so are now flat broke as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

So presumably we'd be only liable to pay back loans rather than investments, had we not went with the guarantee?

we are only paying back bonds. a bond is a loan.

people who invest in a bank are shareholders. they have already lost their money.

Just in case you lose the will to read my post above, yes it is very long :D

I will give a short account,

The Irish economy for years was fulled on borrowed money. The government was funded by borrowed money (stamp duty, taxes etc were paid using borrowed money from the banks), so benchmarking was funded by borrowed money.

Even large chunks of the private sector were funded by borrowed money, as wages and goods were paid for by property developers who you guessed it borrowed that money.

Once the borrowing of money stopped the cycle had to stop. We are now simply paying back all of that borrowed money with interest. It sucks but that is how it is. We should try and squeeze the profits that the bankers and property developers creamed from the borrowed money that is where your anger should be directed too. Not stupid ramblings about Euro banks being baddies in all of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

There was no evidence to suggest the ECB pressurised Lenihan into the guarantee, if anything there is far more evidence Lenihan went on a solo run on it, the pressure came from Irish banks the night the decision was made.
    Did you read that letter article I linked to earlier in the thread?
    you're trying to judge me by your own standards Doc. I am capable of having a debate without turning it into some sort of pathetic "We're better than you" slanging match.
    More whatabouttery. Change the record will you.
    Your colours are well known Doc.
    You mean my cunningly veiled commentary somehow gave the game away? I would have gotten away with it too if it weren't for you pesky kids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

dlouth15 wrote: »
    To answer that you would need access to the raw data upon which the figures were based. However it is important to note that the Eurostat figures are net figures, not merely sums of money put into the banks. Therefore you won't necessarily see particular amounts reflected in them as reported in the press.

I don't know if they even are net figures, it doesn't seem that the money the Irish banks pay the state for the guarantee is accounted for.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Doc Ruby wrote: »

Yep, not the first time either. So what pressure did the ECB put on Ireland to introduce the unlimited guarantee?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Doc Ruby wrote: »

Did you? Especially the date on the top of it. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,872 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

a lot have (see comment about Ulsterbank Acc Bank and Depfa Bank).

A lot of banks were preparing to exit the Irish market, but they were assured, in fact guaranteed, by the Irish government that the banks were fundamentally sound and the government would therefore secure their debts.

Some banks did, some banks didn't. It's the ones that didn't that have obviously created the problem by getting our previous government to make us pick up the tab for their losses.

he is still walking the streets of Ballyconnell a free man. His family still own millions of assets and have money lodged all over the world. Money that belongs to the Irish tax payer.

He is but one man though. There are scores of people who owe us money and are doing their best to avoid paying it back

He is currently free, but you fail to acknowledge that he is bankrupt and has been in jail and may well return there for a longer stay.

and you want them back? ;)

Yeah, especially the protestors in Belfast. :pac:
    I have read up on it. The banking sector in this country was ****ed. It the three banks I mentioned weren't owned by larger institutions then they would have failed.

So they didn't fail, and were still there. With functioning ATMs and money inside them that is issued by the Central Bank.
    Are you seriously saying that we should have let our own banks fail because we could rely on foreign ones? the very ones you are complaining about paying money back to?

I never said they were going to be the same banks, but if they were what would be the problem?

The taxpayer wouldn't have their debt and so would have no problem dealing with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dlouth15

I don't know if they even are net figures, it doesn't seem that the money the Irish banks pay the state for the guarantee is accounted for.
    Have a look at the explanatory document I linked to earlier here. They are apparently net figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Poster Boy

Hidalgo wrote: »
    Its not fair that the Irish taxpayer has foot the bill.

Unfair... and illegal.

Although many of my points have been disputed, no once has anyone refuted that the Act - and all that flows from it - is in breach of A15.4.5 of BnaH.
    Our economy was too reliant on 1 industry and when that went t*ts up so did our economy.

Again we can agree - our nation was too over dependent on one sector.

However just because our economy went pear-shaped, that did not give the right to ECB linked gambling houses to take advantage of our difficulty in a predatory manner, which is what has been happening.
    if Irl had given the 2 fingers to Europe what would be the end result regarding looking for future finance??

We would not need such finance if:

A) We don't use it pay off unsecured bad foreign investments.

B) We don't pay well over the odds to our more senior public sector employees for substandard work.

Standing up close to this, its very hard for Irish people to take it all in. Because its designed to be that way.

Its not actually that hard to understand when one stands back - its a bit like "near and faraway" from Fr Ted. The way I see it is this:

1. As long as we have elected and full-time senior members of our administration paying themselves far more than comparable employees in other non-bankrupt states, there is no strong negotiation position for our interests to be best represented to our "EU friends". Imagine you had an employee who asked for a sub, after first arriving in his porsche; you would laugh at him - and I think its unreasonable not to expect our EU friends to be quietly laughing at our lot for the same reason. Bear in mind Eamon Gilmore is getting paid more than David Cameron, even though Cameron actually leads a state 15 times the size of our population.

2. It is in the interests of our EU friends to leave their toxic debt parked with us. This is the quid pro quo for our leaders continuing to borrow money in order to pay themselves excessively. In short it effectively operates as a bribe.

3. As long as there is effectively no accountability for the biggest financial collapse of a western state in recent times, there will be no recovery and we will continue to be perceived not as "the good boy" in the class, but as the weakling for predatory bullies to take advantage of.

I am genuinely sorry that I do not have all the answers, but I do know that the current purported "answer" is incorrect - and that we must start asking much more robust questions of our government. It's two years on since the current administration was elected. Since then they have failed to:

> Restore accountability (the most serious failure in my opinion).
    > Failed to give leadership by reducing their own pay to an acceptable norm, and then tackle the public deficit.
    > Failed to substantially re-negotiate the Big Fix, also incorrectly known as the national debt.

They have had their chance. Some of them I know as individuals are personable. However collectively they are failing. The last lot let the rot happen - this lot have allowed it to crystallize, which is worse in my opinion.

I am wondering what odds I would get from a bookies as to different leaders being in place in 12 months time?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,872 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Spindle wrote: »
    Okay it is wrong to say all the economy was housing

Thank you.
    Here you are yesterday saying that we are giving the Americans 20bn

What 20bn are you talking about here, because the article you linked identified the 20bn as going to Irish and German banks?
    Is the American 20bn something separate or a secret 20bn that only you know about, or what?

Did you actually read the article? :rolleyes:

The money went directly to European banks.

The European banks though had bought default insurance from American companies.

So the European banks wouldn't have lost out.

Which means in reality, the 20Bn was handed over to American companies via some European banks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Standard "it wasn't us, it was those nasty bondholders" line

The whole thing was fed by greed, from the banks, to the politicians, to the developers to the speculators.

Now, everyone across Europe is paying for it.
    Fratton fred I am still waiting on you to clarify your claim that sean quinn used laundered ira money to build up his business. Have you any further comment

Unfair... and illegal.

Although many of my points have been disputed, no once has anyone refuted that the Act - and all that flows from it - is in breach of A15.4.5 of BnaH.

Yet nobody has taken a case to prove it, unlike somebody taking action over the promissory notes to Anglo. At this stage it would be reasonable to presume that somebody would have so I doubt it was illegal.

Re: Big Lie

I just want to put some translations here of language that seems to be confusing people

"Our Banks..." = Our banks - funded by fast money by gambling foreign finance houses.

"We decided" = A decision taken by a cabal of a few TDs who were acting ultra vires with regard to A15.4.5.

"Bail Out" = A bail in, an acceptance to borrow money in order to pay off to effectively the same people money which they unwisely put into unsecured investments.

"Cheap credit" = Credit given at an initially very low rate for what were frequently overpriced essential items, such as homes.

I may come back and re-edit this post in order to translate any other obvious mistruths that are part of the Big Lie package :)

• Advertisement

'We' would only be liable to pay back deposits already covered by the deposit guarantee scheme - the banks would be liable to pay back everything, but wouldn't be able to if they failed.

But if we got to this and the banks had failed then we're all fcuked anyway - hence the blanket guarantee.

Unfair... and illegal.

Again we can agree - our nation was too over dependent on one sector.

However just because our economy went pear-shaped, that did not give the right to ECB linked gambling houses to take advantage of our difficulty in a predatory manner, which is what has been happening.

We would not need such finance if:

A) We don't use it pay off unsecured bad foreign investments.

B) We don't pay well over the odds to our more senior public sector employees for substandard work.

Standing up close to this, its very hard for Irish people to take it all in. Because its designed to be that way.

Its not actually that hard to understand when one stands back - its a bit like "near and faraway" from Fr Ted. The way I see it is this:

1. As long as we have elected and full-time senior members of our administration paying themselves far more than comparable employees in other non-bankrupt states, there is no strong negotiation position for our interests to be best represented to our "EU friends". Imagine you had an employee who asked for a sub, after first arriving in his porsche; you would laugh at him - and I think its unreasonable not to expect our EU friends to be quietly laughing at our lot for the same reason. Bear in mind Eamon Gilmore is getting paid more than David Cameron, even though Cameron actually leads a state 15 times the size of our population.

2. It is in the interests of our EU friends to leave their toxic debt parked with us. This is the quid pro quo for our leaders continuing to borrow money in order to pay themselves excessively. In short it effectively operates as a bribe.

3. As long as there is effectively no accountability for the biggest financial collapse of a western state in recent times, there will be no recovery and we will continue to be perceived not as "the good boy" in the class, but as the weakling for predatory bullies to take advantage of.

I am genuinely sorry that I do not have all the answers, but I do know that the current purported "answer" is incorrect - and that we must start asking much more robust questions of our government. It's two years on since the current administration was elected. Since then they have failed to:

> Restore accountability (the most serious failure in my opinion).
    > Failed to give leadership by reducing their own pay to an acceptable norm, and then tackle the public deficit.
    > Failed to substantially re-negotiate the Big Fix, also incorrectly known as the national debt.

They have had their chance. Some of them I know as individuals are personable. However collectively they are failing. The last lot let the rot happen - this lot have allowed it to crystallize, which is worse in my opinion.

I am wondering what odds I would get from a bookies as to different leaders being in place in 12 months time?

Poster Boy you make some decent points, I will give you that, I dis-argee with how you deliver some though

1. The current government are useless after all they were sitting on the other side cheering on the previous Government saying they were not spending enough, and currently they are not doing anything other than creating a bit of PR spin.

2. Yes I agree that some of the debt in this country that our banks borrowed in the form of capital is a wrapped up form of debt from the derivatives market. Basically made up money. This I believe should have been our bargaining card, but the problem is that derivatives are not transparent to find out who would lose out.

3. I totally agree our government is overpaid, I also believe some areas of the public sector are overpaid (only some mind), along with a welfare bill that is unfortunately too high, but I also think welfare should be the last item to be cut and if you have to cut it should be assessed.

4. I think the problem is that there was no accountability for the economic crisis on a global scale, sure there were a few arrests and such, but the money that was creamed off has never been found, where is it, who has it???

5. Going back on topic of the thread, I still believe Ireland has a face up to its own debts and pay them back, we created the debt after all. What I have issue with, is the manner in which we are being used by the ECB who are not acting like a traditional sense, they are as you said making money from us paying back our debt.

Yet nobody has taken a case to prove it, unlike somebody taking action over the promissory notes to Anglo. At this stage it would be reasonable to presume that somebody would have so I doubt it was illegal.

The plaintiff taking the case against the ugly Anglo promissory notes is a direct result of the original breach. We shall all watch with interest.

K-9, it has taken a number of years for people to fathom what the hell is going on. Understandably people wanted to have faith in the leaders during the initial time of crisis, so hence many people would have been loathe to take a case. At the same time, the new complex financial jargon would have gone over most people's heads.

Equally when it was blindingly obvious what an inept shower we had, people wanted to have faith in the EU. We did not expect them to be predatory during our time of need. Changing from such a perspective is a difficult an d challenging task.

Taking a public interest case against the state where you may lose your home (not to mention attracting black-listing) is an even more difficult task.

It is only now that people have had time to begin to get a proper perspective on things...

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Thank you.

Did you actually read the article? :rolleyes:

The money went directly to European banks.

The European banks though had bought default insurance from American companies.

So the European banks wouldn't have lost out.

Which means in reality, the 20Bn was handed over to American companies via some European banks.
    Ha. What selective logic.
    So really, according to you, all banking debt in Europe is debt owed to Americans because they hold all credit default swaps and never trade them outside the US, and nor to their reinsurance companies ever sell bonds to non US investors. :rolleyes:

Poster Boy you make some decent points, I will give you that, I dis-argee with how you deliver some though

1. The current government are useless after all they were sitting on the other side cheering on the previous Government saying they were not spending enough, and currently they are not doing anything other than creating a bit of PR spin.

2. Yes I agree that some of the debt in this country that our banks borrowed in the form of capital is a wrapped up form of debt from the derivatives market. Basically made up money. This I believe should have been our bargaining card, but the problem is that derivatives are not transparent to find out who would lose out.

3. I totally agree our government is overpaid, I also believe some areas of the public sector are overpaid (only some mind), along with a welfare bill that is unfortunately too high, but I also think welfare should be the last item to be cut and if you have to cut it should be assessed.

4. I think the problem is that there was no accountability for the economic crisis on a global scale, sure there were a few arrests and such, but the money that was creamed off has never been found, where is it, who has it???

5. Going back on topic of the thread, I still believe Ireland has a face up to its own debts and pay them back, we created the debt after all. What I have issue with, is the manner in which we are being used by the ECB who are not acting like a traditional sense, they are as you said making money from us paying back our debt.

Spindle, we disagree as to portion of blame with regards to the debt blame being attributed to Ireland, which is of course the central topic of this thread. However on many other grounds, such as cuts should start from the top, we share common ground. Keep it up! :D

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

The challenge to the Anglo Promissory Notes is largely academic in my view.

If the state loses, we will have to find an alternative means of financing the Anglo mess anyway.

If it wins, the conspiracy theorists are just going to think that the judiciary are in the pockets of the government and will do what they say.

I just want to put some translations here of language that seems to be confusing people

"Our Banks..." = Our banks - funded by fast money by gambling foreign finance houses, that our banks freely sought out.

"We decided" = A decision taken by a cabal of a few TDs who were acting ultra vires with regard to A15.4.5. Has there ever been a challange by anybody to this in a legal setting?? A lot of the gambling finance houses hedged their bets that the banks would fail, so they would have looked at this option?? The only way to see if what was done on that night was illegal was to get a ruling from a high court/supreme court on it

"Bail Out" = A bail in, an acceptance to borrow money in order to pay off to effectively the same people money which they unwisely put into unsecured investments. What unsecured investments??? Irish banks were providing security for them, senior bond holders are a very low risk low return investor, with high guarantees they will be paid.

"Cheap credit" = Credit given at an initially very low rate for what were frequently overpriced essential items, such as homes. Still it is credit that has to be paid back??

I may come back and re-edit this post in order to translate any other obvious mistruths that are part of the Big Lie package :)

FYP

FYP

Naughty!
    :p

The plaintiff taking the case against the ugly Anglo promissory notes is a direct result of the original breach. We shall all watch with interest.

K-9, it has taken a number of years for people to fathom what the hell is going on. Understandably people wanted to have faith in the leaders during the initial time of crisis, so hence many people would have been loathe to take a case. At the same time, the new complex financial jargon would have gone over most people's heads.

Equally when it was blindingly obvious what an inept shower we had, people wanted to have faith in the EU. We did not expect them to be predatory during our time of need. Changing from such a perspective is a difficult an d challenging task.

Taking a public interest case against the state where you may lose your home (not to mention attracting black-listing) is an even more difficult task.

It is only now that people have had time to begin to get a proper perspective on things...

Well that is true I suppose, but the point stands that others have taken challenges against the State in the meantime, indeed the case over Anglo actually suggests the Government did nothing illegal as regards the guarantee as it was passed by the Dail, the promissory notes weren't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Fratton fred I am still waiting on you to clarify your claim that sean quinn used laundered ira money to build up his business. Have you any further comment

probably best I don't considering I received an infraction and the post was deleted.

"Our Banks..." = Our banks - funded by fast money by gambling foreign finance houses.

Our banks, part of the global banking community that were funded in the exact same way as every other bank in the world.
    "We decided" = A decision taken by a cabal of a few TDs who were acting ultra vires with regard to A15.4.5.
    in your opinion. This cabal of TDs did include the minister for finance
    "Bail Out" = A bail in, an acceptance to borrow money in order to pay off to effectively the same people money which they unwisely put into unsecured investments.

No, we need a bail out because our expenditure exceeds our income by €15bn a year and thanks to our economy imploding (due to 25% of it being based on the property bubble) the markets consider Ireland a bad risk and would therefore charge interest rates that are too high, so the ECB/EU/IMF have lent us the money instead.

Advertisement