Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

42% of entire Euro zone crisis paid for by Ireland according to Eurostat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

When money is lent to a bank and it can't be payed back, surely the dispute is between that bank and it's lender.

What is the risk if any then associated with lending money?

If I loaned a dvd to my mate, and he then he loaned it to his brother, then his brother loses it. I'd be asking my mate where it is, not who he gave it to.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Poster Boy

Spindle wrote: »
    I somewhat agree with your posts, we should not have to pay above the odds for bailing out the banks, we should get a better deal on it, but we still need to pay fully for the bail out.

The hit investors should take is that they are forced to pay into a fund for recapitalisation/capital for state projects where they might not see their money coming back for 20 - 30+ years and with little or no return, in which case it would have naturally lost some of its value.

I know there are lot of ifs and buts, what is done is done, what we need to get now is assurances that we will not have to pay above the odds for the money we are paying into the banks and not bank rolling the ECB. We also need to track down reckless speculators and lenders and make them pay up.

I am sorry Spindle but I cannot accept the thesis of "what is done is done".

Either the action was lawful, in which case it stands - or else it wasn't, in which case it should be struck down. Full stop.

With due respect, there is no point in talking about extending the terms, as to do so acknowledges substantial legitimacy of the odious claim in the first instance.

Yes we do have some part to carry in this, but it is not the lions' share. To enter into discussions about extending such odious terms, rather then to reject such an outlandish claim amounts economic suicide by negotiation.

I do agree with you regarding holding "reckless speculators and lenders" to account.

However the current fix seems designed to deny that, at heavy financial cost to us - and also massive damage to our international reputation as it is clear we are a "black hole" economy where wrong-doers are not held to account. We have already slipped circa 20 places on the index of corruption provided by Transparency International. It must end.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

Poster Boy wrote: »
    I am sorry Spindle but I cannot accept the thesis of "what is done is done".

Either the action was lawful, in which case it stands - or else it wasn't, in which case it should be struck down. Full stop.

With due respect, there is no point in talking about extending the terms, as to do so acknowledges substantial legitimacy of the odious claim in the first instance.

Yes we do have some part to carry in this, but it is not the lions' share. To enter into discussions about extending such odious terms, rather then to reject such an outlandish claim amounts economic suicide by negotiation.

I do agree with you regarding holding "reckless speculators and lenders" to account.

However the current fix seems designed to deny that, at heavy financial cost to us - and also massive damage to our international reputation as it is clear we are a "black hole" economy where wrong-doers are not held to account. We have already slipped circa 20 places on the index of corruption provided by Transparency International. It must end.

I would say our slip down Transparency International list is more to do with the gombeen TDs running this place, but that is for a whole other day.

Spindle wrote: »
    I would say our slip down Transparency International list is more to do with the gombeen TDs running this place, but that is for a whole other day.

I would partially agree with you, however the logical conclusion of the lack of accountability is that other dominant vested interests have been able to perceive us as prey. Hence in my opinion the whole thing ties back in - as opposed to being a separate issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,877 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

anything that has been used as security for a loan.

ie, property.

:confused:

You cannot seize property belonging to someone who is keeping up with their repayments. That is illegal.

If the banks had have been allowed to collapse, creditors would have taken over those mortgages. They could have held onto them and taken the monthly repayments or they could have sold the loans on to some other private business.

It wouldn't have changed the amount people had to repay.

you are looking at this too simply.

other banks, markets, etc didn't "Invest" in Irish banks, they lent them money so they could lend it to people to buy homes, developers etc. it isn't a case of oh well, tough, you lost your money, it is a case of err, we lent you a load of money, we want it back.

You're the one looking at it too simply. The foreign banks lent to Irish banks so they'd make money. They didn't give a toss what the banks were lending the money out to.

Credit come from the Latin word credo which mean believe.

Every loan comes with a risk that the money will not be repaid, whether it is the AIB loading someone three grand for a car or Deutch Bank loaning Anglo-Irish 10 billion.

That's the way finance worked. The foreign banks gambled on the Irish property market because it was generating huge returns for them. They made huge profits for years but eventually they lost-or at least should have. :mad:
    but once these guys have their finer's burnt, they will stop lending money to the banks. if a bank can't borrow money, it can't lend any and it can't give money to anyone.

Other banks who didn't lose out would have stepped in.

It happens all the time when private businesses are liquidated or go through the examinership process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Ush1 wrote: »
    When money is lent to a bank and it can't be payed back, surely the dispute is between that bank and it's lender.

What is the risk if any then associated with lending money?

If I loaned a dvd to my mate, and he then he loaned it to his brother, then his brother loses it. I'd be asking my mate where it is, not who he gave it to.
    Well, that's what is happening. You (the lender) are asking your mate (Ireland Gov/bank) for the DVD (money) back. The mate is asking his brother (us) for it back. We don't have it and have to pay off a debt.
    Responsibility really lies with the mate, but we get the si1t end of the stick.

Also don't forget folks we're giving the Americans TWENTY BILLION EURO that we don't owe them!

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/gene-kerrigan/gene-kerrigan-were-shamed-by-conspiracy-of-silence-2800010.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

I think you're right. I probably will go further than you anyway.

You're welcome to that delusion, and it certainly won't be lonely.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

yes they do, but that is an agreement between two solvent banks that are on-gong concerns, not with a liquidator trying to wind up a company.

the truth is though, no one really knew what would happen, which was part of the problem. There are/were all sorts of doomsday scenarios that could have conceivably come true that included all ATMs running dry.

Imagine, not only would we have no money to buy food, but the supermarkets/manufacturers would have no banking facilities to purchase food in the first place, so supermarket shelves could empty.

none of this would have happened if Anglo was allowed to go to the wall though, there was no way that should have been saved. That was a political decision not a financial one.

So if they weren't bailed out, would all their assets(mortgages) be ceased by the creditors resulting in people being evicted from their homes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dlouth15

Ush1 wrote: »
    So if they weren't bailed out, would all their assets(mortgages) be ceased by the creditors resulting in people being evicted from their homes?
    The new bank would still be bound by the terms the mortgage agreement.

• Advertisement

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Also don't forget folks we're giving the Americans TWENTY BILLION EURO that we don't owe them!

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/gene-kerrigan/gene-kerrigan-were-shamed-by-conspiracy-of-silence-2800010.html

Excellent article, thanks. Kerrigan's a bright fellow. I hope he has future plans other than working in mainstream Irish media, where anything other than the most obsequious commentator is being creased out.

Funny enough, it neatly brings me back to the 2nd question in my OP, which is why has RTÉ not reported that Ireland is being fixed for 42% of the cost of the entire Euro zone banking crisis? :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

:confused:

You cannot seize property belonging to someone who is keeping up with their repayments. That is illegal.
    is it? are you sure about that?
    If the banks had have been allowed to collapse, creditors would have taken over those mortgages. They could have held onto them and taken the monthly repayments or they could have sold the loans on to some other private business.

It wouldn't have changed the amount people had to repay.

Who would have bought all these loans? they are subprime, which is what started this whole mess.
    You're the one looking at it too simply. The foreign banks lent to Irish banks so they'd make money. They didn't give a toss what the banks were lending the money out to.

Credit come from the Latin word credo which mean believe.

Every loan comes with a risk that the money will not be repaid, whether it is the AIB loading someone three grand for a car or Deutch Bank loaning Anglo-Irish 10 billion.

That's the way finance worked. The foreign banks gambled on the Irish property market because it was generating huge returns for them. They made huge profits for years but eventually they lost-or at least should have. :mad:

Other banks who didn't lose out would have stepped in.

It happens all the time when private businesses are liquidated or go through the examinership process.

So Ireland creates the mother of all property bubbles, then walks off scot free when it all goes tits up? That sounds fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Goose81 wrote: »
    It was our banks, why should anyone else pay for them?

It wasn't just our banks, and many of the problems stemmed from the dealings of French and German banks with Irish banks.

Hell, many of the IMF loans that have been dished out to struggling countries have had shady deals included where a certain percentage of the cash must be spent on arms from French and German manufacturers.

You're welcome to that delusion, and it certainly won't be lonely.

Back to dole out more ad hominem attacks? But sure it only took you a few hours to come up with that witty riposte. Well I'm sure its witty to you anyway, but regrettably I doubt anyone else understands it. Never mind, some day when you grow up you will learn how to debate with others who you do not agree with, as has been going on in this thread all day. Who knows - you might even learn something. However until then, my counsel to you would be to keep avoid making statements that are not seen by others as particularly intelligent. I hope this helps :)

is it? are you sure about that?

Pretty certain.

And if not why would the foreign banks seize assets and kick people out of their homes who are paying their mortgages?

What good would that do the foreign banks then? Who would buy the properties? :confused:
    Who would have bought all these loans? they are subprime, which is what started this whole mess.

You're totally confused.

Sub-prime is what happened in America. Mortgages were given to people with no jobs.

People here are by and large still repaying their mortgages.

Some are in negative equity but that isn't a problem for the bank.
    So Ireland creates the mother of all property bubbles, then walks off scot free when it all goes tits up? That sounds fair.

Ireland didn't create the property bubble.

Irish banks and foreign banks did. Private capitalist businesses.

And how the hell does being in negative equity equate with getting off scot-free? :confused:

Or having lost your shareholding in a bank? :confused:

You seem totally oblivious to the fact that foreign banks (as did Irish banks) made vast profits from the Irish property bubble.

Their greed fed it.

They milked it and eventually lost.

Or as I posted earlier, should have.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,395 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Have to disagree there. Our arrears are over 15% which is substanitally worse than the US and an absolute mile ahead of the rest of Europe.

http://namawinelake.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/fitchjan13.jpg

noodler wrote: »
    Have to disagree there. Our arrears are over 15% which is substanitally worse than the US and an absolute mile ahead of the rest of Europe.

http://namawinelake.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/fitchjan13.jpg

Which still means there would be no logic to seizing the properties of the >80% who are paying their mortgages.

Pretty certain.

And if not why would the foreign banks seize assets and kick people out of their homes who are paying their mortgages?

What good would that the foreign banks them? Who would buy the properties? :confused:

You're totally confused.

Sub-prime is what happened in America. Mortgages were given to people with no jobs.

Some are in negative equity but that isn't a problem for the bank.

Ireland didn't create the property bubble.

Irish banks and foreign banks did. Private capitalist businesses.

And how the hell does being in negative equity equate with getting off scot-free? :confused:

Or having lost your shareholding in a bank? :confused:

You seem totally oblivious to the fact that foreign banks (as did Irish banks) made vast profits from the Irish property bubble.

Their greed fed it.

They milked it and eventually lost.

Or as I posted earlier, should have.

Standard "it wasn't us, it was those nasty bondholders" line

The whole thing was fed by greed, from the banks, to the politicians, to the developers to the speculators.

Now, everyone across Europe is paying for it.

Which still means there would be no logic to seizing the properties of the >80% who are paying their mortgages.

No, there wouldn't be. It is just one scenario. No one really knows what would happen, which is the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

dlouth15 wrote: »
    It should never have been other countries bailing "us" out. It should have been private financial institutions being made to take responsibility for their decisions in lending to other private institutions.
    And what about the State's responsibility for its decision to give the banks a blanket guarantee?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

We're doing what now? :eek:

Standard "it wasn't us, it was those nasty bondholders" line

I never said that and why would I?

Bondholders weren't directly to blame.

Why do you make stuff like that up?
    The whole thing was fed by greed, from the banks, to the politicians, to the developers to the speculators.

Yes, and by the media and advertising industry.

95% of Irish people didn't own a second property. They just tried to put a roof over their heads.

Shame on them, eh? :rolleyes:
    Now, everyone across Europe is paying for it.

Everyone across Europe is not paying for it.

A claim that is further proof that you haven't got a clue or are trolling.

Not only are the foreign banks getting their gambling losses back, but they are are also profiting from lending money back to the Irish taxpayer to make good their losses.

No money has been given freely to the Irish taxpayer by anyone.

So please stop posting your endless crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Oh, here we go. Ireland and the Irish people as a whole are at fault in some way, no matter what the problem is. Toilet backed up? Bloody Irish. Car won't start? Paddies!

Hahaha!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

They'd go into the derivatives market. Like they are doing. We're already selling loans for less than what they're worth and then burying the profits from those sales. Then sticking out the lámh again for more money from the gubberment.

Our international status as fuhken ejits is growing by the day.

I never said that and why would I?

Bondholders weren't directly to blame.

Why do you make stuff like that up?
    bondholders, foreign banks, basically everyone gets blamed, except of course for the people who were really to blame. The Irish government and their cronies.

Constantly pointing the finger at overseas banks just reduces where the real anger should focus, the crooks behind Anglo, the blanket guarantee, the gombeen government that instead of putting measures in place to cool the market, actually fuelled it etc etc.

95% of Irish people didn't own a second property. They just tried to put a roof over their heads.

Shame on them, eh? :rolleyes:

why shame on them? they did what everyone does, me included.

It sucks, I hate it as much as anyone else, but we can't pretend it didn't exist, because it did.

Everyone across Europe is not paying for it.

A claim that is further proof that you haven't got a clue or are trolling.

Not only are the foreign banks getting their gambling losses back, but they are are also profiting from lending money back to the Irish taxpayer to make good their losses.

No money has been given freely to the Irish taxpayer by anyone.

So please stop posting your endless crap.

I suppose the personal attacks are a sign of a weakening argument.

Banks are being bailed out all over europe. the Irish property boom is a big factor in this. It wasn't just Irish banks involved, there were banks from other countries as well which are being bailed out by their citizens.
    Doc Ruby wrote: »
    Oh, here we go. Ireland and the Irish people as a whole are at fault in some way, no matter what the problem is. Toilet backed up? Bloody Irish. Car won't start? Paddies!

Hahaha!

what the **** are you on about, are you trying to accuse me of "Paddy Bashing"? I am actually quite embarrassed for you.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

what the **** are you on about, are you trying to accuse me of "Paddy Bashing"? I am actually quite embarrassed for you.:rolleyes:
    Come off it, you spent most of the thread trying to work your way round to somehow Irish people deserving what they got. Which is the exact same thing you do in every thread, no matter how tangential the relationship to this country. The UK leaving the EU thread for some bizarre reason was turned into an Ireland thread by you. This whatabouttery is wearing thin at a minimum fred, it really is.

Lots of people are blaming the government and cronies, I've no idea why you might think otherwise. But there's plenty of blame to go round.

It wasn't just Irish banks involved, there were banks from other countries as well which are being bailed out by their citizens.

So thats why being less than 0.5% of the total EU population, we are paying 42% of the entire costs?

:rolleyes:

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    Come off it, you spent most of the thread trying to work your way round to somehow Irish people deserving what they got. Which is the exact same thing you do in every thread, no matter how tangential the relationship to this country. The UK leaving the EU thread for some bizarre reason was turned into an Ireland thread by you. This whatabouttery is wearing thin at a minimum fred, it really is.

Lots of people are blaming the government and cronies, I've no idea why you might think otherwise. But there's plenty of blame to go round.

Please stop Doc. You are just digging yourself deeper.

Despite your best efforts, this isn't about anyone's nationality. I live here too remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

The ever informative Scofflaw has some detailled analysis of these figures over on the politics forum: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=82864156&postcount=19

tl;dr version: This graph is skewed using very selective misuse of figures to give weight to a political point. I, for one, am shocked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

So thats why being less than 0.5% of the total EU population, we are paying 42% of the entire costs?

:rolleyes:

The % of the entire EU population that Irish citizens make up is irrelevant.

Advertisement