Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

42% of entire Euro zone crisis paid for by Ireland according to Eurostat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

twinytwo wrote: »
    It makes you wonder what it will take before the people of this country will get up off their asses.

don't bother...nothing will get Irish people off their asses..
    Throughout history we've been notorious for this..we're just sheep and tbh we were lucky that a fraction of a minority got off their asses in 1916 etc and did something.
    99.9999% of us will spout rhetorical shíte on the internet and do sodall about it in real life.
    I include myself in this of course...as long as it doesn't really affect us none of us will do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Please stop Doc. You are just digging yourself deeper.
    What?
    Despite your best efforts, this isn't about anyone's nationality. I live here too remember.
    I'm glad to hear that fred, hopefully we'll be getting less of your dodgy commentary in future. I actually agree with some of your points but then you spoil it all by camping out on every thread to do with Ireland. I must start reporting these comments more often.
    passive wrote: »
    The ever informative Scofflaw has some detailled analysis of these figures over on the politics forum: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=82864156&postcount=19

tl;dr version: This graph is skewed using very selective misuse of figures to give weight to a political point. I, for one, am shocked.
    That doesn't actually change the per capita figures much, we're still paying at least twice as much as anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Poster Boy

Hidalgo wrote: »
    The % of the entire EU population that Irish citizens make up is irrelevant.

To you maybe, but the 15 pages on this thread thus far would seem to indicate that many others think differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    That doesn't actually change the per capita figures much, we're still paying at least twice as much as anyone else.

The percentage of total EU bailout cost paid by us goes from that headline figure of 42% (which is actual so ridiculously unlikely I don't know how the examiner could have published it) to around 7%(very very roughly calculated by me using Scofflaws figures)

It still would mean we're paying more per capita, absolutely... But my understanding is that this would be due to our banks being in a worse mess, and our government handling the situation worse than others. It still doesn't translate to us carrying the cross of nearly half of the evil EU's oppressive banking debt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Poster Boy wrote: »

So thats why being less than 0.5% of the total EU population, we are paying 42% of the entire costs?

:rolleyes:

Because the biggest culprits were Anglo, AIB and BofI. When you see some of the deals they were funding it is staggering. They bought Battersea power station ffs. These twats were even funding €25m homes in D4 for no other reason than bragging rights

• Advertisement

It still would mean we're paying more per capita, absolutely... But my understanding is that this would be due to our banks being in a worse mess, and our government handling the situation worse than others. It still doesn't translate to us carrying the cross of nearly half of the evil EU's oppressive banking debt.
    This is true, but the facts of us paying twice as much per capita as the next nearest country and how we got there, specifically with reference to illegal pressure from the ECB (see that letter I linked to earlier) gives us recourse for legal action, in my opinion.

Because the biggest culprits were Anglo, AIB and BofI. When you see some of the deals they were funding it is staggering. They bought Battersea power station ffs. These twats were even funding €25m homes in D4 for no other reason than bragging rights

Maybe, but such deals were funded by German, French and other banks who clearly made bad loans for them to do so.

Btw Battersea Power Station was probably not the worst investment by a long shot - property prices in London have after all effectively remained static since time of acquisition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

To you maybe, but the 15 pages on this thread thus far would seem to indicate that many others think differently.

If Ireland possesses 1% of the EU population but irish banks were the cause of 25% of the Eurozone crises, should Ireland not pay 25%??

(the % above are for illustration only).

Hidalgo wrote: »
    If Ireland possesses 1% of the EU population but irish banks were the cause of 25% of the Eurozone crises, should Ireland not pay 25%??

(the % above are for illustration only).

With due respect, Irish banks were only able to loan fast loans after they had been given fast loans by other outside financial institutes.

Ipso facto, the ball didn't start with us - and shouldn't stop with us either.

Hence it is insanity that the Irish people are being pursued through a process of collective guilt for the actions of the financial institutions.

The "Ireland caused..." narrative is more of the Big Lie, where an illegal repugnant fix on Irish citizens for the actions of European financial institutes sounds reasonable. It is simply not.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

The ever informative Scofflaw has some detailled analysis of these figures over on the politics forum: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=82864156&postcount=19

tl;dr version: This graph is skewed using very selective misuse of figures to give weight to a political point. I, for one, am shocked.

Indeed, was just reading that thread. Those figures look cherry picked to me, he's a Union economist after all so is presenting figures to suit his agenda.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Dub.

Because as I've pointed out before, the bill for bailing out the banks is common knowledge. It's hardly like its being covered up.

All this statistic represents is how much of the European banking bailouts came out of general government debt.

So, as I mentioned already, the €20 billion we put into the banks from the NPRF isn't factored in.

Similarly, as pointed out here and here, most of the bailout costs for Germany and the UK aren't factored in, since they didn't come out of general government debt either. For example, the €100 billion Germany put into Hypo, and the €30 billion it put into Bayern aren't there either.

To sum up, they're stats on something we knew already and not representative of the total cost of banking bailouts to EU governments.

But most people don`t know these things. Precisely because they aren`t being reported on the six o` clock news.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,872 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

bondholders, foreign banks, basically everyone gets blamed, except of course for the people who were really to blame. The Irish government and their cronies.

Constantly pointing the finger at overseas banks just reduces where the real anger should focus, the crooks behind Anglo, the blanket guarantee, the gombeen government that instead of putting measures in place to cool the market, actually fuelled it etc etc.

Again you haven't a clue what you're on about it.

If you notice the results from the last general election in Ireland you will clearly see that the people of Ireland held the outgoing government to blame.

There are cases being built against certain criminals who were running banks. That has also been in the news.

Those people along with foreign banks were to blame. Why do you think the foreign banks should get off scot-free? They had no problem with Irish banks when they were making vast fortunes out of them.
    why shame on them? they did what everyone does, me included.

It sucks, I hate it as much as anyone else, but we can't pretend it didn't exist, because it did.

You obviously don't get sarcasm then. :rolleyes:

95% of the Irish people didn't get into property gambling, ergo not the majority of Irish people's fault-yet you claim the Irish people are to blame.

5% of Irish people, Irish banks, and foreign banks did.

They are to blame along with the government.
    I suppose the personal attacks are a sign of a weakening argument.

You have been spouting crap.

Me posting that is not a sign of a weakening argument from me, it's fact.

You don't know what sub-prime means and you claimed that people paying their mortgages would have their properties seized. :rolleyes:
    Banks are being bailed out all over europe. the Irish property boom is a big factor in this. It wasn't just Irish banks involved, there were banks from other countries as well which are being bailed out by their citizens.

Yes, banks are being bailed out all over Europe, but you fail to understand who is paying for this.

Germany is not giving away money to Ireland. Money is being loaned-to the Irish taxpayer to pay for failed private businesses.

You really don't understand what's going on, do you? :rolleyes:

Should the British taxpayer foot the bill for HMV closing? No, of course not.

Why not? Because it it a failed private business that has nothing to do with the state/taxpayer.

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Again you haven't a clue what you're on about it.

If you notice the results from the last general election in Ireland you will clearly see that the people of Ireland held the outgoing government to blame.

There are cases being built against certain criminals who were running banks. That has also been in the news.

great, but that doesn't make the problem miraculously go away. It was still a problem created in this country.
    Those people along with foreign banks were to blame. Why do you think the foreign banks should get off scot-free? They had no problem with Irish banks when they were making vast fortunes out of them.

Just as a brewery is to blame when a drunk driver kills someone? the banks provided funding to good credit worthy banks. Those banks then lent it to people to build stupid projects that were not sustainable.

Why a lot of these debts are being repaid I have no idea, but you can't simply put your fingers in your ears, point to Germany and blame them. Ireland is in debt due to the mismanagement, corruption and pure greed that was in existance before and during the celtic tiger.

You obviously don't get sarcasm then. :rolleyes:
    I do, yours is just pathetic though.
    95% of the Irish people didn't get into property gambling, ergo not the majority of Irish people's fault-yet you claim the Irish people are to blame.
    er, when did I claim the Irish people are to blame? I have made it very clear who I think is to blame and unfortunately that means that the rest of us are paying.
    5% of Irish people, Irish banks, and foreign banks did.

They are to blame along with the government.
    I know, it sucks, so lets point the finger in the right place rather than the bogey man foreigner
    You have been spouting crap.

Me posting that is not a sign of a weakening argument from me, it's fact.

You don't know what sub-prime means and you claimed that people paying their mortgages would have their properties seized. :rolleyes:
    actually my point was that the creditors would come looking for their money back and this would be from the banks assets.

the truth it, no one knows, but it could affect people's own properties. Can a bank demand it's money back anytime? I'm not sure, it might be able to.

Yes, banks are being bailed out all over Europe, but you fail to understand who is paying for this.

well its not Sean Quin or his family that's for sure.
    Germany is not giving away money to Ireland. Money is being loaned-to the Irish taxpayer to pay for failed private businesses.

Why not? Because it it a failed private business that has nothing to do with the state/taxpayer.

HMV is a record/book shop. AIB, BofI, etc are fundemental to our way of life. If they go bust it would cause a complete meltdown of the banking sector in this country.

What does that mean? who knows? No one gets paid, shops can't trade yes, the ATMs run out of cash (after all, the main banks have gone, so who is going to run them? people lose their pensions, life savings etc.

Maybe the government could step in and help?
    who does the government bank with? who does your local council bank with?

As painful as it is, you can't have a banking meltdown, our way of life is too dependant on it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dlouth15

The percentage of total EU bailout cost paid by us goes from that headline figure of 42% (which is actual so ridiculously unlikely I don't know how the examiner could have published it) to around 7%(very very roughly calculated by me using Scofflaws figures)

Figures from that article seem to check out and we do indeed get 42%.

This is basically from a eurostat spreadsheet [url=http://epp.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/portal/page/portal/government_finance_statistics/excessive_deficit/supplementary_tables_financial_turmoil[/url]here[/url] on their website.

I added in the total column adding up the years and a percentage of total column based on total for the whole of the EU.

The PDF document explains how the figures were obtained (seems to make sense to me) and the other spreadsheets on that page show how the figures were arrived at for each of the countries in detail.

I think someone pointed out already that money from the NPRF was not included in the figures by Eurostat therefore underestimating the percentage for Ireland. We get an even higher figure if we do that. 63%.

(millions)
    |2007|2008|2009|2010|2011|Total|% of Total EU27
    BE| - |-27.3|-33.0|249.8|449.8|639.3|-0.66%
    BG| - | - | - | - | - | - |0.00%
    CZ| - | - | - | - | - | - |0.00%
    DK| - |0.6|162.0|561.9|-180.5|544.1|-0.57%
    DE| - |-3,156.0|-3,393.8|-33,077.0|-474.0|-40,100.8|41.70%
    EE| - | - | - | - | - | - |0.00%
    IE| - | - |-3,767.0|-31,544.8|-5,731.7|-41,043.5|42.69%
    EL| - | - |373.0|960.0|622.0|1,955.0|-2.03%
    ES| - |-12.0|696.0|772.0|-3,527.0|-2,071.0|2.15%
    FR| - |48.0|1,356.0|995.0|601.0|3,000.0|-3.12%
    IT| - | - |-16.5|88.0|176.9|248.4|-0.26%
    CY| - | - |10.0|27.0|25.0|62.0|-0.06%
    LV| - |2.1|-182.8|-385.2|-91.6|-657.4|0.68%
    LT| - | - | - |-32.3|-2.6|-34.9|0.04%
    LU| - |-20.4|-68.7|51.8|59.3|21.9|-0.02%
    HU| - | - |4.3|7.4|9.8|21.5|-0.02%
    MT| - | - | - | - | - | - |0.00%
    NL| - |73.0|-2,265.0|-1,171.0|-253.0|-3,616.0|3.76%
    AT| - |2.2|-39.3|-1,365.0|-340.4|-1,742.5|1.81%
    PL| - | - | - | - | - | - |0.00%
    PT| - |1.7|9.4|-2,224.7|-881.5|-3,095.1|3.22%
    RO| - | - | - | - | - | - |0.00%
    SI| - | - |7.8|20.5|-221.9|-193.6|0.20%
    SK| - | - | - | - | - | - |0.00%
    FI| - | - | - | - | - | - |0.00%
    SE| - |-1.5|128.7|262.1|228.3|617.6|-0.64%
    UK|61.8|-5,561.3|-8,085.4|1,708.1|1,167.8|-10,708.9|11.14%
    Euro area (EA17)| - |-3,090.8|-7,131.2|-66,218.5|-9,495.5|-85,936.0|
    EU27|61.8|-8,650.8|-15,104.3|-64,096.4|-8,364.2|-96,154.0|100.00%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Surely you can see a difference between saving a chain of music stores and an entire banking sector?
    Didn't you tell is yesterday that we are being forced to pay 20bn to the United States?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

dlouth15 wrote: »
    Figures from that article seem to check out and we do indeed get 41%.
    Is the c. 100bn that Germany put into Depfa / Hypo included in that?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,469 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

actually my point was that the creditors would come looking for their money back and this would be from the banks assets.

the truth it, no one knows, but it could affect people's own properties. Can a bank demand it's money back anytime? I'm not sure, it might be able to.

So that was total guesswork about the houses being taken? Why even bother mention it then and I refuse to believe that nobody knows what would happen? I'm assuming the government or some finanicial analysts have researched scenarios.

See, this is what annoys me in many of these discussions about the financial crisis. That many people will talk authoratively and really they aren't sure at all of what they're saying.

dlouth15 wrote: »
    Figures from that article seem to check out and we do indeed get 42%.

This is basically from a eurostat spreadsheet [url=http://epp.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/portal/page/portal/government_finance_statistics/excessive_deficit/supplementary_tables_financial_turmoil[/url]here[/url] on their website.

I added in the total column adding up the years and a percentage of total column based on total for the whole of the EU.

The PDF document explains how the figures were obtained (seems to make sense to me) and the other spreadsheets on that page show how the figures were arrived at for each of the countries in detail.

I think someone pointed out already that money from the NPRF was not included in the figures by Eurostat therefore underestimating the percentage for Ireland. We get an even higher figure if we do that. 63%.

(millions)
    |2007|2008|2009|2010|2011|Total|% of Total EU27
    BE| - |-27.3|-33.0|249.8|449.8|639.3|-0.66%
    BG| - | - | - | - | - | - |0.00%
    CZ| - | - | - | - | - | - |0.00%
    DK| - |0.6|162.0|561.9|-180.5|544.1|-0.57%
    DE| - |-3,156.0|-3,393.8|-33,077.0|-474.0|-40,100.8|41.70%
    EE| - | - | - | - | - | - |0.00%
    IE| - | - |-3,767.0|-31,544.8|-5,731.7|-41,043.5|42.69%
    EL| - | - |373.0|960.0|622.0|1,955.0|-2.03%
    ES| - |-12.0|696.0|772.0|-3,527.0|-2,071.0|2.15%
    FR| - |48.0|1,356.0|995.0|601.0|3,000.0|-3.12%
    IT| - | - |-16.5|88.0|176.9|248.4|-0.26%
    CY| - | - |10.0|27.0|25.0|62.0|-0.06%
    LV| - |2.1|-182.8|-385.2|-91.6|-657.4|0.68%
    LT| - | - | - |-32.3|-2.6|-34.9|0.04%
    LU| - |-20.4|-68.7|51.8|59.3|21.9|-0.02%
    HU| - | - |4.3|7.4|9.8|21.5|-0.02%
    MT| - | - | - | - | - | - |0.00%
    NL| - |73.0|-2,265.0|-1,171.0|-253.0|-3,616.0|3.76%
    AT| - |2.2|-39.3|-1,365.0|-340.4|-1,742.5|1.81%
    PL| - | - | - | - | - | - |0.00%
    PT| - |1.7|9.4|-2,224.7|-881.5|-3,095.1|3.22%
    RO| - | - | - | - | - | - |0.00%
    SI| - | - |7.8|20.5|-221.9|-193.6|0.20%
    SK| - | - | - | - | - | - |0.00%
    FI| - | - | - | - | - | - |0.00%
    SE| - |-1.5|128.7|262.1|228.3|617.6|-0.64%
    UK|61.8|-5,561.3|-8,085.4|1,708.1|1,167.8|-10,708.9|11.14%
    Euro area (EA17)| - |-3,090.8|-7,131.2|-66,218.5|-9,495.5|-85,936.0|
    EU27|61.8|-8,650.8|-15,104.3|-64,096.4|-8,364.2|-96,154.0|100.00%

Cheers for posting that.

63%!:eek:

I know there are ifs and buts in terms of possibly less expensive ways to pay, as carefully set out in the articulate post by Scoffaw as already linked above. Although I disagree with his assertions, I do advise others to look there so as to weigh up the argument themselves. (For example, it is suggested that Irish pay outs would look less if German banks were worth less, but they're not - so its immaterial.)

Whatever way one looks at this, the central point is Irish citizens are paying far far far more per capita than any other EU citizen, and that the chief beneficiaries are foreign gambling houses :mad:

Ush1 wrote: »
    So that was total guesswork about the houses being taken? Why even bother mention it then and I refuse to believe that nobody knows what would happen? I'm assuming the government or some finanicial analysts have researched scenarios.

See, this is what annoys me in many of these discussions about the financial crisis. That many people will talk authoratively and really they aren't sure at all of what they're saying.

As I pointed out, there are lots of doomsday scenarios and the truth is, no one really knows what will happen, only that it would cause a significant amount of pain for a lot of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

Cheers for posting that.

63%!:eek:

I know there are ifs and buts in terms of possibly less expensive ways to pay, as carefully set out in the articulate post by Scoffaw as already linked above. Although I disagree with his assertions, I do advise others to look there so as to weigh up the argument themselves. (For example, it is suggested that Irish pay outs would look less if German banks were worth less, but they're not - so its immaterial.)

Whatever way one looks at this, the central point is Irish citizens are paying far far far more per capita than any other EU citizen, and that the chief beneficiaries are foreign gambling houses :mad:

That is because Irish Banks screwed up more than any other bank out there, and our GDP is smaller than Germany, other countries put more money in than Ireland, so it is stupid to say Ireland is footing 42% of the bill.

I am beginning to think you are Joe Higgins with all the rhetoric you are spouting.

• Advertisement

As I pointed out, there are lots of doomsday scenarios and the truth is, no one really knows what will happen, only that it would cause a significant amount of pain for a lot of people.

Well isn't it the job of government to identify what's going to happen in different scenarios?

If a government isn't assessing different scenarios, it means they are not allowing themselves to consider different options - which in turn means they are not governing, and shouldn't be there in the first instance.

Spindle wrote: »
    That is because Irish Banks screwed up more than any other bank out there, and our GDP is smaller than Germany, other countries put more money in than Ireland, so it is stupid to say Ireland is footing 42% of the bill.

I am beginning to think you are Joe Higgins with all the rhetoric you are spouting.

Spindle, with due respect:

1. You are falling back into the trap of "the Irish did...", without factoring in the gambles made by other foreign delinquent gambling houses. This is an untruth by omission - see my earlier point regarding the Big Lie.

2. Whatever way you want to twist it, you still not escape the critical point that Irish citizens are paying per capita many many multiples more than other EU citizens. This is financial persecution for the sins of financial institutions.

3. Alas no, I'm not Joe Higgins, though I take comment as a backhanded compliment, even though I consider myself pro-business :)

Well isn't it the job of government to identify what's going to happen in different scenarios?

If a government isn't assessing different scenarios, it means they are not allowing themselves to consider different options - which in turn means they are not governing, and shouldn't be there in the first instance.

er, they did, and they decided a blanket guarantee was the best way forward.

This article is a little condescending and a couple of years old now, but alarming reading http://www.vanityfair.com/business/features/2011/03/michael-lewis-ireland-201103

2. Whatever way you want to twist it, you still not escape the critical point that Irish citizens are paying per capita many many multiples more than other EU citizens. This is financial persecution for the sins of financial institutions.

Why shouldn't we be paying more than the rest of europe?

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

If you leave the banking system fail totally in a country that is dependent on multinational companies for jobs, foreign energy resources what do you reckon would happen? Multinationals would be on the first boat out of here with all the jobs. It would be near impossible for imports to come into the country, (no oil, no raw materials to make our export products etc etc), people would not get paid, capital would be frozen. The list could go on.

Of course we are in the Euro so you could have played with the gun in the hope the rest of the Euro zone, would rescue us somehow. The fact is that we are small fish in all of this and could easily have been left go to the wall.

This article is a little condescending and a couple of years old now, but alarming reading http://www.vanityfair.com/business/features/2011/03/michael-lewis-ireland-201103

A15.4.1 of BnaH specifically precludes the Oireachtas from passing Acts "repugnant" to the constitution, which is what occurred.

They did not govern. Governing would have involved informed decision making, rather than midnight runs etc.

Instead, they broke the law.

Thanks for posting the article - had a quick glance, look forward to reading it later.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,872 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

great, but that doesn't make the problem miraculously go away. It was still a problem created in this country.

It was created here and abroad by people working in private businesses and also by the Irish government yet you want the Irish taxpayer to foot the total bill.
    Just as a brewery is to blame when a drunk driver kills someone? the banks provided funding to good credit worthy banks. Those banks then lent it to people to build stupid projects that were not sustainable.

Why a lot of these debts are being repaid I have no idea, but you can't simply put your fingers in your ears, point to Germany and blame them. Ireland is in debt due to the mismanagement, corruption and pure greed that was in existance before and during the celtic tiger.

Wrong, and wrong again.

I never blamed Germany so stop making things up.

I apportioned blame to foreign banks including German banks. German banks are owned by their shareholders who may be German, Irish, or Iraqi. German bank does not equal Germany. :rolleyes:

Ireland is mainly in debt due to taking on private debt.
    er, when did I claim the Irish people are to blame? I have made it very clear who I think is to blame and unfortunately that means that the rest of us are paying.

I know, it sucks, so lets point the finger in the right place rather than the bogey man foreigner?

So if the Irish people aren't to blame why do you want them footing the bill? :confused:

And I'm not pointing the finger at the "bogeyman foreigner" because if you actually bothered reading my posts I pointed out where certain Irish people and institutions were to blame.

You just don't understand that people who loan money have a responsibility and have to acknowledge that there is a risk involved in lending. You don't always get your money back.

And as stats shown in this thread indicate that over 80% of mortgages are being paid so banks were getting their money back there and of course the rest would and still are open to possible seizure of assets. But you're claim that every asset on a failed bank's book would be seized was bizarre beyond belief.

No, it can't. When a loan/mortgage is agreed there is a repayment plan and so long as that is kept to, the bank cannot seize the asset. Basic stuff. :rolleyes:

well its not Sean Quin or his family that's for sure.

They have had assets seized and been declared bankrupt. And what was Anglo-Irish Bank have his family in court trying to recover assets hidden abroad.

Again, this has been covered by the media. You should tune into the news some time.
    HMV is a record/book shop. AIB, BofI, etc are fundemental to our way of life. If they go bust it would cause a complete meltdown of the banking sector in this country.

What does that mean? who knows? No one gets paid, shops can't trade yes, the ATMs run out of cash (after all, the main banks have gone, so who is going to run them? people lose their pensions, life savings etc.

Maybe the government could step in and help?
    who does the government bank with? who does your local council bank with?

As painful as it is, you can't have a banking meltdown, our way of life is too dependant on it

Not all banks in the state were given money by the taxpayer. There were other banks for people to turn to, and new banks would have replaced the failed ones. It's what happens in a capitalist society.

People's deposits, afaik, were guaranteed by the state.

ATMs would not have run out of cash as AIB and BoI do not control the supply of money.
    dvpower wrote: »
    Surely you can see a difference between saving a chain of music stores and an entire banking sector?

Yes, but the entire banking sector didn't fail. See above.
    dvpower wrote: »
    Didn't you tell is yesterday that we are being forced to pay 20bn to the United States?

No, I posted a link to an article which showed that our current government are a bunch of cowards who are giving over 20Bn that they don't need to.

There is no legal obligation on the government to pay that 20Bn, they are just stealing our money.

Why shouldn't we be paying more than the rest of europe?

FF, with due respect, you have been following this thread for quite some time. I would have thought you would have read my assertion already made a number of times regarding this:

Because we were not alone as the property bubble was primarily fueled by the bad unsecured investments by foreign banks which was simply in pursuit of fast profits.

Geddit?

Lenihan decided it was the best way forward under massive pressure from the ECB chief. Illegal pressure I would say. He acted far beyond his mandate and the voters showed him and his party what they thought of his unilateral move by obliterating the party at the next elections. I don't think they even have a representative in the capital, what once was the largest and oldest party in the country.
    So if the Irish people aren't to blame why do you want them footing the bill? :confused:

And I'm not pointing the finger at the "bogeyman foreigner" because if you actually bothered reading my posts I pointed out where certain Irish people and institutions were to blame.
    This is a fairly impressive piece of intellectual contortion from fred which as usual boils down to it's entirely Ireland's fault, and so on and so forth.

• Advertisement

Spindle wrote: »
    If you leave the banking system fail totally in a country that is dependent on multinational companies for jobs, foreign energy resources what do you reckon would happen? Multinationals would be on the first boat out of here with all the jobs. It would be near impossible for imports to come into the country, (no oil, no raw materials to make our export products etc etc), people would not get paid, capital would be frozen. The list could go on.

Of course we are in the Euro so you could have played with the gun in the hope the rest of the Euro zone, would rescue us somehow. The fact is that we are small fish in all of this and could easily have been left go to the wall.

Spindle, please read my earlier posts.

At no time whatsoever have I suggested letting "the banking system fail totally", so there's little point in me answering a scenario I have not advocated. However now that were on the topic, you may not be aware as to the cost of MNC factories, but for example the recent extension of Intel in Leixlip cost €2 billion. That's not simply the kind of plant that a company can walk away with overnight.

Spindle, your posts are reasonably intelligent. Please allow yourself to think outside of the dark box that has seemingly bedeviled Irish people from being able to consider options other than the current orthodox model which people are terrified to question.

It's the new heresy - Financial Heresy.

Sure, who are we to question? We're only paying for it :rolleyes:

Advertisement