Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basic Marzipan recipe

Options
  • 23-01-2013 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭

I have a load of cookery books but can't find one for a basic marzipan recipe anyone got one handy. Just want to make sweets out of it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Moll'll fix it

Here's one I use for cakes (enough for top and sides of 8in. cake so you can adjust depending on number sweets you are making)

8 oz ground almonds
    4 oz icing sugar, sieved
    4 oz. castor sugar
    1 tsp. lemon juice
    2 drops almond essence

Put the sifted icing sugar into a bowl with the castor sugar and ground almonds. Mix well
    Lightly mix the lemon juice, almond essence and eggs together. Pour onto the dry ingredients and using a fork, mix to a fairly stiff paste.
    Gather together with the fingers
    Turn out onto a table dusted with icing sugar or castor sugar and knead until smooth. Use as required.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Thanks for that, have all those ingredients in my cupboard...yay! :)

oops..how many eggs or is it egg whites?

1 egg - all the egg! Sorry about leaving that out. It says a standard size egg (size 3) to be precise!!! Apologies again

No probs. :)

• Advertisement

Made them into wee balls, will dip them in choc. and sprinkles tomorrow..that is if there's any left lol. Thanks for the recipe :)

They look great. Am tempted to make some myself now

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Galwaymother

My grandmother's recipe (from a Jewish-Turkish background) has basically the same ingredients, but the caster sugar is dissolved with very little water or lemon juice to make a thick syrup, so you have a smoother texture. Then you don't add more juice. Actually, she used all caster sugar and no icing, but we rolled them in icing sugar or cocoa. Get the best almond powder you can! Miam!

Yeh I found the caster sugar a bit crunchy I don't mind a little bit but I think I'll try it with icing sugar or disolve it as you mentioned, good tip.

...I ate most of them *hangs head in shame..:rolleyes: I'll have to wait a while before I make more to make sure there are other marzipan addicts to share them with so I don't scoff them all. Sugar shakes this mornin lol

• Advertisement
Advertisement