Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kings Inn - qualifying exams

Options
  • 23-01-2013 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi - i know this subject has been done to death. But i think my question is different :)

I have a degree in law from queens, i did all of the core exams except for company.

1. Kings Inn says that my land law needs to include succession... I did inheritance law as a separate module - does anyone know for sure if this or my land law module covers it?

2. I did not do company law in my undergrad, but I did pass the FE1 exam.

Do i have to do additional exams in land law and company law (I did admin law).

If in fact i do have to do either of these modules - where do i do it and how/who with/what cost/is it with the Kings inn? i can't find any info on the kings inn on this.

Also was wondering how much this costs and if am in time to do the may exam if i have to do it. I am planning on doing the entrance exams in august.

i really dont think i should have to do the kings inn company exam considering i passed the company land one - but something deep down tells me regulations will improve.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭lawfilly

1. inheritance law should be fine but do clarify with the Inns

Do you have Jurisprudence? That is a requirement to train as a barrister!

You need to have company law. Sitting an FE1 exam wont suffice. You may get in touch with KI in relation to this matter.

The course cost approx 12,500 euro entrance exams cos a separate 600 euro. The 2013 timetable in on the website

http://www.kingsinns.ie/website/current_students/diploma/pdfs/ED%20Brochure_online.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Mehread

lawfilly wrote: »
    1. inheritance law should be fine but do clarify with the Inns

Do you have Jurisprudence? That is a requirement to train as a barrister!

You need to have company law. Sitting an FE1 exam wont suffice. You may get in touch with KI in relation to this matter.

The course cost approx 12,500 euro entrance exams cos a separate 600 euro. The 2013 timetable in on the website

http://www.kingsinns.ie/website/current_students/diploma/pdfs/ED%20Brochure_online.pdf

Thanks ,lookin more information on the costs of sitting the company law.do I have to do a course etc and what are the costs ? Etc

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭lawfilly

The Inns, AFAIK, only allow external students to join Diploma two students for Admin and JP so you may have to do Company somewhere else.
    However it is certainly worth ringing KI and asking as it may be possible.An External subject and exams cost roughly 800 euro per subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

GCD, Indo and a like will let you sit Company Law PT in the evenings. Approx €750 but you will have to start in Oct (with GCD at least).

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Mehread

GCD, Indo and a like will let you sit Company Law PT in the evenings. Approx €750 but you will have to start in Oct (with GCD at least).
    Thanks. I'd be happy just gettin the manual and sitting the exam. Can I do this ? Is it a stand alone course or exam or linked to kings inn provided by these guys ?

Cheers

M

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Mehread wrote: »
    Thanks. I'd be happy just gettin the manual and sitting the exam. Can I do this ? Is it a stand alone course or exam or linked to kings inn provided by these guys ?

Cheers

M

Probably best to get in touch with the directly. Issue at GCD is it's two exams (one per semester) perhaps find somewhere that does it as one semester? I'm sure they'd have the info as there are people dipping in and out - Admin law being an example.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 GKaplan

I'm in the same position as you Mehread, I have a Queen's degree (or will hopefully in June) but I'm missing Jurisprudence, Company, Administrative and Land Law with the law of succession...I've been trying to sort out how to get all these done within an academic year so I can sit the entrance exam. I have been in contact just trying to sort out the logistics at this stage.

Advertisement