Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature Student Question

Options
  • 23-01-2013 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Hi I was just hoping somebody could tell me what is the difference between applying for college as a mature student as opposed to applying as a regular student?

Somebody told me that mature students dont have to pay fees at all, which sounds a bit to good to be true.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

The only noticeable difference is that as a Mature student you are assessed on your Life experiences (work or otherwise) and possibly any other education you may have, not your Leaving Cert or Leaving Cert points. Even if you never completed a Leaving Cert you can still apply for as a Mature Student to a University etc. Basically your Leaving Cert is usually exempted from applying and your other qualities are brought into your application and alot of the time you also have an interview so the University can assess you in person.

Regarding Free Fees and Grants, mature students have the same access to these as a non-mature student.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Just on the mature student entry requirements, some colleges may stipulate a certain standard of education which may include some Leaving cert subjects or FETAC modules. It's an idea to check with each college as to the particular course requirements.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

I'm pretty sure that even if you fail to get through as a mature student, then you may get through with your points. In this light it would make sense to have some limited points inflation over the years... as the older leaving certs are changed to theoretically become more relevant (as if most of the material ever was!)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Yes, some of the ITs (well the ones I applied to) said I had the points for a place on the course and didn't need to interview etc. I'd say that's a small minority of colleges though.

Advertisement