Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firearms license

Options
  • 23-01-2013 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi everyone,

I'm applying for a firearms license and wanted to no if my previous conviction would affect my chances of getting one?, I have never been jailed for any offense.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Thats up to your super so beat bet is to talk to the local fo who will handle the application. What was the conviction if you dont mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 N3r0

driving with out license and insurance, trespassing "Took a short cut threw private land to save time on way home" :/, drunk and disorderly, and possension of a small amount of a class b drug, they all happenend when I was younger, over 6 years ago and havent been in any trouble since. Thank you for the quick reply

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

We had a guy on here a year or so ago askin the same question, he was in trouble 9 years ago and was refused.

Every district is different so you should talk to the fo and ask his opinion and then maybe try meet the super and discuss it, your gonna have to convince him you have changed. Id do this before even applying because you will have to pay a deposit on a gun before you apply

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

You have 5 convictions, and only one/two of them might not affect your application (driving without license, and insurance). The other three (D&D, Drug possession, and Trespass) are more serious.

However all 5 combined show qualities that most Super's would consider unwanted for anyone possessing a firearm. Not my decision, nor anyone else here, but as was said above there have numerous lads asking the same questions over the years and still refused, and most of them only had minor offences and from a lot longer ago.

You are entitled to apply so if you want you can still do that. BTW as a word of caution as some might have tried before, omitting any offence is worse than admitting to them. They will find out about all your previous, and if you omit, lie, or leave anything out they will view it as a fraudulent application which is an offence in itself.

rmHop along to your local Garda Station and ask for the firearms officer. Have a chat, get the lay if the land, and s/he will tell you where you stand.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

N3r0 wrote: »
    small amount of a class b drug
    This isn't the UK. It's either a controlled drug, listed under the schedule of the misuse of drugs act 1977 ( as amended) or its not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,986 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Want to keep your nose clean for about another seven to ten years then try.Think after 15 years it becomes a non issue,so long as you haven done time over 30 days on conviction.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Advertisement