Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Call from 0044 about Ulsterbank

Options
  • 23-01-2013 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I keep receiving this call from some 0044 2890438150 number and im asked about my Ulsterbank customer service.

I told the guy i don't deal with ulsterbank and hung up.
    Two days later another call comes in. And when i try to call the number back it is constantly engaged.
    Also friend of mine told me that he was getting the same calls??

Anyone else here receiving the same calls?
    Is this a scam or what?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Hard to tell with the information you've given us:

On the pro side: Much of Ulster Bank's back office support is handled by their sister banks RBS/NatWest in the UK. So often, when they do reach out, it will come from a UK number.

On the con side: If you don't deal with Ulster Bank, then it seems unlikely they'd have any reason to contact you. Perhaps they have a wrong number.

Have you tried googling the number? A lot of the time you'll find other people have had similar calls and will be looking to see if number X is valid or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭smokin ace

Xpro wrote: »
    Hi All,

I keep receiving this call from some 0044 2890438150 number and im asked about my Ulsterbank customer service.

I told the guy i don't deal with ulsterbank and hung up.
    Two days later another call comes in. And when i try to call the number back it is constantly engaged.
    Also friend of mine told me that he was getting the same calls??

Anyone else here receiving the same calls?
    Is this a scam or what?
    Thanks

i had 3 missed calls from the same number but i was in work and could not answer the call but i got the same engaged tone as yourself when i tried to ring back the number

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Xpro

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Hard to tell with the information you've given us:

On the pro side: Much of Ulster Bank's back office support is handled by their sister banks RBS/NatWest in the UK. So often, when they do reach out, it will come from a UK number.

On the con side: If you don't deal with Ulster Bank, then it seems unlikely they'd have any reason to contact you. Perhaps they have a wrong number.

Have you tried googling the number? A lot of the time you'll find other people have had similar calls and will be looking to see if number X is valid or not.

I do have an account with Ulsterbank but its not being used. Anyways it appears to be some sort of survey call about my experience with ulsterbank.
    The whole point is that they dont give up ringing even tho i already told the guy that i dont deal with the bank and i dont want to do any surveys.

I googled the number, not much info it
    Not sure tho

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

It sounds like a scam.

You will only get a call regarding customer service if your account is used via a branch visit.
    This number will come up as a private number.

Any other calls regarding accounts do not come from +0044 numbers. If its not a ROI
    number it can be Belfast that could ring but thats not a +0044 number.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

They do have a NI call centre doing surverys for them: they've certainly called me before. So it may well be them, though when I've told them I didn't have time/didn't want to participate they didn't bother again.
    Any other calls regarding accounts do not come from +0044 numbers. If its not a ROI
    number it can be Belfast that could ring but thats not a +0044 number.

On point 1: They have to me. On the second: NI numbers most certainly can display themselves as +44 on caller ID, depending on how things are set up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

This is a Belfast number. If the OP has an account with UB then he does deal with them, although of course he is entitled not to respond to a survey. I'd suggest simply telling them, if they call, that you don't want to respond and asking that this is properly recorded.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

They do not have a customer centre in the UK, so it would certainly not be a standard call.
    NI numbers they call on come up as 0489076****

The customer care call only is triggered when someone uses the branch network. As thats
    who uses the feedback from the calls. Any other type of survey is agreed to on the end of a
    call that you have made and they ask at the end can they get someone to call you to do a survey,
    so you would be expecting them calls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭198321

I don't ever go to my branch and keep getting those calls every few months, not sure if from the number you mentioned, but number is not private and it is from Ulster.

I am happy to talk to them as they never ask any personal details. If they do it's most likely scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

They do not have a customer centre in the UK, so it would certainly not be a standard call.
    NI numbers they call on come up as 0489076****

No, an incoming call from Northern Ireland will display as +442890 or 00442890. 048 is only used for dialling out to allow people in the republic to call the north for the price of a national call as opposed to international.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

So next time they call lead them along a bit, find out what they want. If it becomes apparent they're phishing for data, tell them to f*ck off and hang up, then report back here so other people can just ignore them.

Also report the issue to UB, banks take these things seriously these days - finally - and will very likely follow out up with the phone companies, Gardai, Police, etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement