Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you look for in a grinds teacher

• 23-01-2013 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

for those of you that have had grinds before, what separates the good from the bad when i comes to grinds teachers or tutors in general

i got grinds from a very nice man except he charged € 45 an hour, and he was not the right teacher for me.. after about 200 euro, i had to let him go because he was basically doing what i could have done myself with extra effort rather than teaching me more of what i needed

how much would would you dish out and what would you expect in return?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

To be honest, someone that teaches with the goal of you getting an A, rather than just doing the bare minimum in teaching you for an hour that you probably could've done yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 chikatita

somebody that bothers to make out BRILLIANT notes for you, seeing as your paying them so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

For maths I find it extremely helpful as I had a really bad teacher who just left on maternity leave and to be honest you learn Maths one to one a lot easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

0mega wrote: »
    To be honest, someone that teaches with the goal of you getting an A, rather than just doing the bare minimum in teaching you for an hour that you probably could've done yourself.

Not every student is capable of an A. Not every student attending grinds realises this. However if you are not being pushed to achieve your potential it's up to you to tell the grinds teacher what you want them to do. They are not mind readers.

I've had people ask me for help in the past with something that can be seen as fairly complex like balancing redox equations (chemistry). Only too happy to help, but often find they don't understand electronic configurations or why the periodic table is structured the way it is or electronegativities and I have to go back to basics before I can do the advanced stuff with them.

chikatita wrote: »
    somebody that bothers to make out BRILLIANT notes for you, seeing as your paying them so much.

If you are paying €30+ per hour just to get a set of notes you are wasting your time. You could make out your own notes for free, or buy a revision book for a whole subject for less than €10. Paying for grinds to receive a bundle of notes will not make the information stick in your head. You still have to learn it, understand it and be able to apply it.

Having said that the notes could well be brilliant and you still might not understand them/learn them. What then have you achieved?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 chikatita

Not every student is capable of an A. Not every student attending grinds realises this. However if you are not being pushed to achieve your potential it's up to you to tell the grinds teacher what you want them to do. They are not mind readers.

I've had people ask me for help in the past with something that can be seen as fairly complex like balancing redox equations (chemistry). Only too happy to help, but often find they don't understand electronic configurations or why the periodic table is structured the way it is or electronegativities and I have to go back to basics before I can do the advanced stuff with them.

If you are paying €30+ per hour just to get a set of notes you are wasting your time. You could make out your own notes for free, or buy a revision book for a whole subject for less than €10. Paying for grinds to receive a bundle of notes will not make the information stick in your head. You still have to learn it, understand it and be able to apply it.

Having said that the notes could well be brilliant and you still might not understand them/learn them. What then have you achieved?

obviously if its a good grinds teacher they will go throught the notes and explain them to you..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,237 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

A great grinds teacher would teach you how to make your own notes.

Advertisement