Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History of Portlaoise

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Semi-related, was there ever talk of turning the old CBS into some sort of Museum? I think it would be a fantastic project if it got the support.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Portlaoise Pictures

Never heard it. I do know that the sections of the VEC are supposed to be moving there. There's also a great building beside Fitzmaurice Place - currently used a Council store, I think - which would make a great museum. (Or a concert hall).

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Bicky

I am just reading this now.
    I would like to thank you sincerely, for all the effort you put into documenting local history.
    Regards,
    JP

Thanks very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Excellent reading, I love local history and learning about old buildings. Looking forward to reading more about Main Street itself, I bet there's some interesting history behind those old buildings. In particular do you know much about 82 Main Street?

• Advertisement

Thanks Paul.
    The house numbering in Portlaoise is all over the place depending on which source you use, but I presume you mean the shop that was once Croke's butchers (beside what was Peig's pub)? I have loads of research bits and pieces but, as of yet, nothing coherent. Given how long it took to 'do' the Market Square, I reckon I should have the Main Street finished sometime before the anniversary of 1916 :)

Yeah I can well imagine it takes a lot of work. Yeah 82 is where I had my computer shop for a while, out the back there were loads of interesting outhouses and old buildings that were in a terrible state and I always wondered what their history was. I presume maybe some kind of slaughterhouse for the butchery perhaps? The building itself seemed really really old.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 tuup

I was born and raised in 82 main st portlaoise , yes we had our own slaughter house which would you believe started out life as the local church

tuup,
    By sheer coincidence, I was writing a bit about that old Penal Days church when your message came in!
    Many many years ago, with my school friend Kevin, son of the owner, I actually witnessed a killing in the slaughterhouse. Maybe I'm just squeamish, but I've never forgotten it.

John Dunne

www.portlaoisepictures.com

I guessed there was a slaughterhouse but wow never occurred to me there had been a Church back there. Looking forward to reading your article John.

• Advertisement

pclancy wrote: »
    I guessed there was a slaughterhouse but wow never occurred to me there had been a Church back there. Looking forward to reading your article John.

there is a plaque on the wall in the pub carpark next door with a little bit of history of the Church , growing up there as a child I was told that the main house was for the priest and the parish used the laneway at the side of the house to get to Mass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

tuup wrote: »
    there is a plaque on the wall in the pub carpark next door with a little bit of history of the Church , growing up there as a child I was told that the main house was for the priest and the parish used the laneway at the side of the house to get to Mass

What year are we talkin about? Roughly obviously

have you seen the plaque on the wall ? I think what you need to know , its up high on the wall in the carpark in what would of been whites pub , when you approach the carpark out the back its up on the wall on the right hand side

The church was in use from 1792 to 1804. I have heard that, prior to 1792, there was a Penal church somewhere out the Borris Road, but I'm not sure of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

Is that website a joke?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

ThirdMan wrote: »
    Is that website a joke?

Was that a silly question?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

**Vai** wrote: »
    Was that a silly question?

It was a rude question actually, and I apologise for asking it. I've had a good look through it just now and I can see that a lot of time and care went into it. I just think that a lot of the photos make the town look desperate. But that's just me. To each their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

ThirdMan wrote: »
    I just think that a lot of the photos make the town look desperate. But that's just me. To each their own.

No one said its perfect. Never was, never will be. Its home though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭theboss80

82 Main St was my grandfathers butcher shop, i too lived there for some time.

Advertisement