Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UL Fees

Options
  • 23-01-2013 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭

I was thinking of becoming a woodwork/metalwork teacher and UL only place that have the course .. I was reading on their website that the fee is like €7300 roughly .. Is that tuition fee or Student Contribution .. Because from reading up some articles the tuition fees are paid for but you do have to pay student contribution .. Am I correct in this ? If so I was just wondering wether that 7000 euro is tuition which is payed by the government or is it the student contribution you must pay ?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

The €7,000 is the tuition fees, which are paid by the government if you are eligible for free fees.

The Student Contribution is currently €2,250, but is set to rise by €250 every year for the next three years (so this September you'd be paying €2,500, the year after €2,750, etc). If you are eligible for a grant, this will be paid for you also.

Now, this next part is a bit complicated.

Currently in UL, there is a Student Levy of €72 to pay for capital projects (specifically the Boathouse). Every student pays this, regardless of whether they're eligible for a grant or not. However, the levy is set to expire at the end of this year, so as it stands future students coming in won't have to pay this. But, there is a referendum to be held in the coming months to decide whether this levy should be extended and increased to €130 for further capital development. If the referendum passes, then you would have to pay this levy.

Hope this helps.

(Open to correction on any of this if I've made mistakes btw)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ziomek232323

Sorry I have a guestion,
    I received a grant which stated I got 50% Tutition fees and 100% student contributions. does this mean I have to pay another 50% for tutition fees and full 100% for student contributions ?

And my second question is can I pay online ? if yes what website ?
    Thanks for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Hey Yall

Well I read all the things you need to be eligible for free fee's and I am eligible .. As for the student contribution grant.. What terms do you need to be eligible for the student contribution grant? The 70/130 euro is fine .. It would be trying to get 7000 to pay for the tuition is what would worry me haha :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

There are different levels of grant.

Provided you've not done a degree before you are eligible for free fees.

Here is where you apply to your City Council/VEC for a grant.

You can get JUST your Registration fees paid (€2250+whatever increase they add this year coming)
    Or Your Reg Fees + 3 x lump sums of money depending on where you live and who your income is assessed under. Say if a full grant is €1000, there's 4 rates. 25%, 50%, 75% or 100% so you get assessed to see how much you are entitled to. These 4 levels of grant INCLUDE your Reg fees.

Everyone pays student contribution, regardless.

So no matter what a substantial some of money will have to be payed by me? i.e 2000 euros?

• Advertisement

Hey Yall wrote: »
    So no matter what a substantial some of money will have to be payed by me? i.e 2000 euros?

No. You seem to have misunderstood the fees breakdown.
    The €7/8000 is lecture fee.
    The €2250 registration fee.
    Not everyone pays these.
    The €72 student contribution.
    Everyone pays this.

Are you still in school?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Basically...

€72... will pay
    2k... might pay
    7k... probably won't pay (unless you're rich)

Yes im still in school and Im just thinking about the future because I dont want to make a last minute decision and ruin my life and possibly the life of my future family if I have one .. Thanks for clarifying btw ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

Foresight...
    One of many talents I wasn't blessed with at birth...

Hey Yall wrote: »
    Yes im still in school and Im just thinking about the future because I dont want to make a last minute decision and ruin my life and possibly the life of my future family if I have one .. Thanks for clarifying btw ..

You won't have to pay tuition fees. Go talk to your career guidance teacher.

• Advertisement
Advertisement