Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Mayo being hit by a crime wave?

Options
  • 23-01-2013 8:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭

Just from browsing through the Mayo News website this evening I read the following:

Tourists and a doorman beaten up in Westport.
    Woman robbed in Achill
    Farm machinery stolen in Hollymount
    Catalytic converter stolen from a jeep in Castlebar
    Houses robbed in Castlebar
    Gardaí led on a high speed chase across the whole county
    'Undesirables' assaulting and robbing people in Castlebar

This isn't just the usual drunken antics you see every week in the Connaught and the Western, it seems as if Mayo is being targeted by thugs who are driving down for the day and making a quick getaway onto the motorway when they have finished cleaning the place out. There also seems to have been an influx of 'anti-social' types into Castlebar in recent times.

With Garda resources and numbers cut is there anything that can be done or do we just accept that these are dangerous times to be living in a rural area?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Just from browsing through the Mayo News website this evening I read the following:

Woman robbed in Achill

This isn't just the usual drunken antics you see every week in the Connaught and the Western, it seems as if Mayo is being targeted by thugs who are driving down for the day and making a quick getaway onto the motorway when they have finished cleaning the place out. There also seems to have been an influx of 'anti-social' types into Castlebar in recent times.

With Garda resources and numbers cut is there anything that can be done or do we just accept that these are dangerous times to be living in a rural area?
    i
    To be honest its been going on for many years, the papers probably weren't highlighting it as much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

yop wrote: »
    To be honest its been going on for many years, the papers probably weren't highlighting it as much.

It just seems to me that things have escalated recently. I don't remember things being this bad years ago or maybe I've just got the rose-tinted spectacles on. Perhaps this is one repercussion of the recession that's finally starting to kick in?

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭FaganJr

Woman robbed in Achill

This isn't just the usual drunken antics you see every week in the Connaught and the Western, it seems as if Mayo is being targeted by thugs who are driving down for the day and making a quick getaway onto the motorway when they have finished cleaning the place out. There also seems have been an influx of 'anti-social' types into Castlebar in recent times.

I wouldn't worry about Garda Resources!

I know 2 people who had their houses robbed recently, when the owner said to the Garda, "Dont worry I haven't touched anything if your taking finger prints" The Garda laughed and said,
    "Shur theres no point, shur we wont catch them anyway!"

I was gobsmacked!

But when I heard the following I was enraged.

After the Garda said much the same as above, the Garda were leaving and the woman asked where are you going?
    Garda Replied " Shur Job done"
    She had to protest strongly for them to wait!

Why wait you might ask, well for one her front door was laying in the hall.
    Two, she had 3 young children under the age of 6, three, her husband was out of country working, and four, it was after 8pm at night, and she had just been F***ing robbed!

Disgrace!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

From my own experience around Westport/Cbar there was always fights and scraps with plenty of muppets, usually the same people.
    There were also breakins but now they are more amplified due to the recession and the media for ever bleating bad news.
    I could be off the mark though

• Registered Users Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Woman robbed in Achill

Which motorway would that be then?

• Advertisement

The M6, it's not that far from Mayo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Yes - imho more breakins and more robberies these days

nuac wrote: »
    Yes - imho more breakins and more robberies these days

in your opinion, well thanks for posting. You going to back that up with any stats?

The M6, it's not that far from Mayo

Actually it is you know if your driving away from a crime scene. Tell me what would your preferred route be from say Balla after committing a robbery??? but dont let that stop you from posting hysterical nonsense.

Actually it is you know if your driving away from a crime scene. Tell me what would your preferred route be from say Balla after committing a robbery??? but dont let that stop you from posting hysterical nonsense.

Balla -> Claremorris -> Cloonfad -> Williamstown -> Ballymoe -> Roscommon -> Athlone -> Anywhere. Plenty of time to make a getaway considering any robbers could be safe home before a break-in is even detected. None of what I posted is hysterical nonsense, all the incidents mentioned in my OP actually happened. I get the feeling you are arguing with me just for the sake of it. There certainly is a feeling around the place that crime is on the up, whether it can be substantiated or not is why I started this thread. Note that the thread title contains a question, nothing hysterical about asking questions now is there?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

I'd say the amount of house break-ins is definitely up in the last 18 months from the amount I've heard about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

The problem is that those that are caught are asked nicely not to do it again, the amount of reoffenders that are not put away is crazy.

why wouldnt you keep stealing when even if you are caught nothing happens to you. Shoplifting alone costs the local retailers a fortune and nothing is done about the same scum that steal and terrify the shop workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Aeternum

Living in Castlebar I have to say there has definitely been more crime circulating lately than usual. I work in a store in town and there are a certain group of people that are robbing us blind! I'm sure many people will know who I'm on about as they moved to the area in the last year and even the local schools have had major problems, although they don't attend any school in the area.

in your opinion, well thanks for posting. You going to back that up with any stats?

MOD NOTE: Your not adding to this thread, either post something relevant or not at all, your attacking posts, don't continue it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

No Stats, CB, but have been living in Mayo most of my 70+ years. spent many years working in courts here, and that is my perception

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭mikehammer67

certainly seems to be a an upsurge in robberies round here-hardly surprising when the gards are non-existent save for an occasional patrol car from the nearest station miles away

checkpoints seem to have ceased entirely-you could pretty much drive with no tax,nct etc unless you're on the major roads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Love2u

Woman robbed in Achill

Lots of things can be done!, I've been in many countries and from what I can see the police have "zero" tolerance for crime etc... You only need to look at the police and you get scarred. They are "fit", yes they can most definitely out run anyone who dares to escape them, and they have all the resources they need, batons, guns......
    The problem here in Ireland, is that most cops need to enroll in boot camp and get some measure of fitness level going before considering leaving any police station and trying to catch criminals. These criminals are fitter than the Gardai. I do understand the gardai also need more resources so I can't go too hard on them. In relation to the thugs, it's the same thugs each time, and Judge Devins in Castlebar spends more time trying to be "Judge Judy" than serving proper sentence to thugs. I say get rid of Devins in Castlebar, give the police more resources, lock these thugs up and throw away the key. The thugs are well known in Castlebar and they get away with blue murder. Why are we housing these people, and why are they getting free handouts? Why are we paying high taxes for these people who won't behave like normal human beings. The system is wrong, and the laugh is on us. Would you or I get away with parking a few caravans on the side of the road!!!! And I better be careful, because next you'll know I'll be considered racist if I mention people in caravans. What a joke!! The Gardai need to up their game and stop hiding, they need to get out there and show these people who's boss, I'd also ask the Gardai to shout from the rooftops to get more resources and go to the top to get what is needed to help them with crime.
    Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭space_man

Love2u wrote: »
    Lots of things can be done!, I've been in many countries and from what I can see the police have "zero" tolerance for crime etc... You only need to look at the police and you get scarred. They are "fit", yes they can most definitely out run anyone who dares to escape them, and they have all the resources they need, batons, guns......
    The problem here in Ireland, is that most cops need to enroll in boot camp and get some measure of fitness level going before considering leaving any police station and trying to catch criminals. These criminals are fitter than the Gardai. I do understand the gardai also need more resources so I can't go too hard on them. In relation to the thugs, it's the same thugs each time, and Judge Devins in Castlebar spends more time trying to be "Judge Judy" than serving proper sentence to thugs. I say get rid of Devins in Castlebar, give the police more resources, lock these thugs up and throw away the key. The thugs are well known in Castlebar and they get away with blue murder. Why are we housing these people, and why are they getting free handouts? Why are we paying high taxes for these people who won't behave like normal human beings. The system is wrong, and the laugh is on us. Would you or I get away with parking a few caravans on the side of the road!!!! And I better be careful, because next you'll know I'll be considered racist if I mention people in caravans. What a joke!! The Gardai need to up their game and stop hiding, they need to get out there and show these people who's boss, I'd also ask the Gardai to shout from the rooftops to get more resources and go to the top to get what is needed to help them with crime.
    Thank you.

as someone who visits the West on a regular basis, i see no more or less crime than before. there's a lot of exaggeration and hypebole about the whole issue, much of it for party political reasons. also the Gardaí and the media are scaremongering for their own selfish reasons.
    people need to get a grip, calm down and of course take all sensible security precautions.
    Ireland and particularly the West is largely crime-free. in fact the worst crime i ever witnessed in all my time in Mayo was an itinerant "lady" being assaulted by one of her kindred spirits after a local publican foolishly allowed them a session in one of the local pubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

space_man wrote: »
    as someone who visits the West on a regular basis, i see no more or less crime than before. there's a lot of exaggeration and hypebole about the whole issue, much of it for party political reasons. also the Gardaí and the media are scaremongering for their own selfish reasons.
    people need to get a grip, calm down and of course take all sensible security precautions.
    Ireland and particularly the West is largely crime-free. in fact the worst crime i ever witnessed in all my time in Mayo was an itinerant "lady" being assaulted by one of her kindred spirits after a local publican foolishly allowed them a session in one of the local pubs.

Try living there, then get back to me.

mikom wrote: »
    Try living there, then get back to me.

my relatives live there, and like me they agree with my view on these matters.
    unfortunately many people down the west are prone to lose the run of themselves, and this is just another example of that.
    do yourself a faour and don't swallow all the fear mongering nonsense you see in the tabloid media.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Your folks must be living in a cave:rolleyes:

Your folks must be living in a cave:rolleyes:

i know Mayo is a bit of a damp bog hole, but i wouldn't refer to it as a cave.:D

i know Mayo is a bit of a damp bog hole, but i wouldn't refer to it as a cave.:D

Well you have very little crime in a damp bog hole:D. Those scumbags mentioned in Love2u's post will only steal from a dry bog:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭eire-kp

OP I agree with you completely. It's the same where I come from in Sligo. I can think off at least 15 robberies locally most where the houses were broken into while people were at mass etc.
    Three years ago I couldn't think of one robbery locally.

I think it's going to get worse and eventually someone will end up shooting some of the culprits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

my relatives live there, and like me they agree with my view on these matters.
    unfortunately many people down the west are prone to lose the run of themselves, and this is just another example of that.
    do yourself a faour and don't swallow all the fear mongering nonsense you see in the tabloid media.

Yeah.......... I just imagined a nearby publican and shopkeeper having his shotgun taken from him by the Gardai after he fired a shot at raiders one night last week........... the same raiders who then tried to enter another business in Portumna shortly after that same night, then were chased by the Gardai to Tipp, where they then lost their chasers.........

http://www.galwaynews.ie/30214-attempted-burglaries-abbeyknockmoy-and-portumna

exactly my point.
    the whole thing is being exaggerated by sectional interests for their own selfish reasons.
    don't believe everything you read, or everything you hear down the pub!

Well my point is that if they can easily steal from the bog, it only serves as a training ground for them to rob & damage property in the urban areas, which in turn leads them to follow the mobile route looking for possible rural soft spots. There is no doubt but that crime has increased in multiples over the last 10yrs or so.

Well my point is that if they can easily steal from the bog, it only serves as a training ground for them to rob & damage property in the urban areas, which in turn leads them to follow the mobile route looking for possible rural soft spots. There is no doubt but that crime has increased in multiples over the last 10yrs or so.

no it hasn't.
    where's your evidence for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

again you are exaggerating the "facts". they got away with a few fags.
    Wow! call in Robo Cop.
    Ger a grip will ya!

So spaceman are you suggesting that its acceptable to steal a few fags, break into someones business,damage doors windows and mess up the place?

The report says a quantity of cigs, as they are €10 a pack even talking a carrier bag full could easily be a few grands worth of product. That could easily be the final nail in the coffin of many a business.

As someone who is in business and has been robbed on numerous occassions and who has a constant battle with repeat offenders who shoplift for someone to come on and scoff at the fact that they got away with a few fags I find very ignorant.

every time the alarm goes off in our shop, my heart rate increases as I drive to the shop, not knowing what you will meet when you go in the door. will it be a false alarm or will there be armed intruders waiting for you with the keys. Your family wait at home for you wondering will you return soon or will you get the crap beaten out of you when you check on your property.

exagerrating the facts?

I think not. I Have been robbed 6 times, attempted robberies 4 times and an armed attack/robbery attempt on one of my staff as well as numerous con attempts and countless shoplifting.

all these resulted in one court case and no convictions.

as someone who has first hand experience in these matters please dont belittle the hassle and hardship that we face on a weekly basis.

Shelflife wrote: »
    So spaceman are you suggesting that its acceptable to steal a few fags, break into someones business,damage doors windows and mess up the place?

The report says a quantity of cigs, as they are €10 a pack even talking a carrier bag full could easily be a few grands worth of product. That could easily be the final nail in the coffin of many a business.

As someone who is in business and has been robbed on numerous occassions and who has a constant battle with repeat offenders who shoplift for someone to come on and scoff at the fact that they got away with a few fags I find very ignorant.

every time the alarm goes off in our shop, my heart rate increases as I drive to the shop, not knowing what you will meet when you go in the door. will it be a false alarm or will there be armed intruders waiting for you with the keys. Your family wait at home for you wondering will you return soon or will you get the crap beaten out of you when you check on your property.

exagerrating the facts?

I think not. I Have been robbed 6 times, attempted robberies 4 times and an armed attack/robbery attempt on one of my staff as well as numerous con attempts and countless shoplifting.

all these resulted in one court case and no convictions.

as someone who has first hand experience in these matters please dont belittle the hassle and hardship that we face on a weekly basis.

as much as i sympathize with your travails, i still have seen no statistical evidence to back up the thread claim, that Mayo is being hit by a crime wave.
    all i am getting from this thread are anecdotes, exaggeration, hyperbole and silly stories about me granny's turf being stolen.
    Hardly the crime wave some folk claim.

• Advertisement

as much as i sympathize with your travails, i still have seen no statistical evidence to back up the thread claim, that Mayo is being hit by a crime wave.
    all i am getting from this thread are anecdotes, exaggeration, hyperbole and silly stories about me granny's turf being stolen.
    Hardly the crime wave some folk claim.

Heaven forbid that people would actually discuss things on a forum. Crime is a topical issue at the moment, I don't see the harm in discussing it. If you read the local papers in Mayo you will see what's going on yourself.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement