Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Mayo being hit by a crime wave?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭space_man

Heaven forbid that people would actually discuss things on a forum. Crime is a topical issue at the moment, I don't see the harm in discussing it. If you read the local papers in Mayo you will see what's going on yourself.

papers report what they want to report, and that usually follows some agenda or other. ie crime frightens the bejasus out of folk and that sell papers.

if they reported on what is ACTUALLY happening down the country (very little btw) very few papers would be sold. now that would never do would it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

space_man wrote: »
    papers report what they want to report, and that usually follows some agenda or other. ie crime frightens the bejasus out of folk and that sell papers.

if they reported on what is ACTUALLY happening down the country (very little btw) very few papers would be sold. now that would never do would it?

So you're saying the papers are making it all up? :confused:

So you're saying the papers are making it all up? :confused:

not exactly, but they are gilding the lily.
    for instance if you were to read some of the rags, you would not ever leave your house (except to buy it on sunday i suppose), and some journalists have made careers out of it. they need the scumbags more than the scumbags need them. sometimes it's hard to distinguish between them.

not exactly, but they are gilding the lily.
    for instance if you were to read some of the rags, you would not ever leave your house (except to buy it on sunday i suppose), and some journalists have made careers out of it. they need the scumbags more than the scumbags need them. sometimes it's hard to distinguish between them.

Maybe so, but there is a difference between the scaremongering perpetrated by the Sunday tabloids and the local court reports in the local papers. I agree that the tabloids make their money by glamorising crime but from reading about the cases that are coming up in the courts and the reports on crime I get the impression that crime is on the increase. I don't have the stats to hand so I can't substantiate that any more but rightly or wrongly it is a concern for people.

Maybe so, but there is a difference between the scaremongering perpetrated by the Sunday tabloids and the local court reports in the local papers. I agree that the tabloids make their money by glamorising crime but from reading about the cases that are coming up in the courts and the reports on crime I get the impression that crime is on the increase. I don't have the stats to hand so I can't substantiate that any more but rightly or wrongly it is a concern for people.

you said it better than i ever could.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭yosemite_sam

People are skint, crime rises. We were burgled the boys in blue came and no one was ever caught, a lot too be said for a DNA data base.

you said it better than i ever could.

Perhaps the mathematics forum would be a better place for you, they are freakish about stats and proofs there also.

Perhaps the mathematics forum would be a better place for you, they are freakish about stats and proofs there also.

well if you or somebody else can come up with proof of this crime wave, i'll accept that. but as yet i have not seen it.
    all i see/hear/read are tales about granny's turf being stolen and the likes.

btw i'm NOT saying there is no crime, just not the crime epidemic some are touting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

well if you or somebody else can come up with proof of this crime wave, i'll accept that. but as yet i have not seen it.
    all i see/hear/read are tales about granny's turf being stolen and the likes.

btw i'm NOT saying there is no crime, just not the crime epidemic some are touting.

Taking burgleries

Qtr 3 2010 781 reported incidents

Qtr 3 2012 881 reported incidents

thats 100 extra in a qtr or a 12%

From the cso website.

That good enough for you?

Shelflife wrote: »
    Taking burgleries

From the cso website.

12% from an extremely low base hardly constitutes a crime wave. maybe people are reporting more of these incidents now? insurance claims etc. ???

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Folks, one warning handed out and 2 more VERY close to getting same. Attacking posters and posting which are totally irrelevant to the thread are out of order.
    No more warnings, continue and you will be banned.

Taking burgleries

From the cso website.

could you give us a link to those CSO crime figs please?

could you give us a link to those CSO crime figs please?

Seriously? google cso crime statistics :confused:

so you do not have a link then?

your answer to referencing is go find it yourself.;)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

If you start providing stats and are asked for them, its only manners to attach a link. Phantom stats without a link.

so you do not have a link then?

your answer to referencing is go find it yourself.;)

Pretty much, you come on here spouting that there is no crime wave and belittleling crimes against businesses as been something of nothing.

You then scoff at actual (not anecdotal) evidence and look for statistical evidence when a quick google would get you all the stats you need.

All you do is deny the claims that are made by posters and provide no evidence yourself for your claims.:mad:

Pretty much, you come on here spouting that there is no crime wave and belittleling crimes against businesses as been something of nothing.

You then scoff at actual (not anecdotal) evidence and look for statistical evidence when a quick google would get you all the stats you need.

All you do is deny the claims that are made by posters and provide no evidence yourself for your claims.:mad:

all i'm looking for is a link to your stats. it's probably on your history. i'm not saying you are making them up, but without hard evidence some folk might reach that conclusion.

yop wrote: »
    If you start providing stats and are asked for them, its only manners to attach a link. Phantom stats without a link.
    all i'm looking for is a link to your stats. it's probably on your history. i'm not saying you are making them up, but without hard evidence some folk might reach that conclusion.

http://www.cso.ie/px/pxeirestat/Statire/SelectVarVal/Define.asp?maintable=cjq03

You can crunch the figures from this page. I took all theft/robbery/fraud figures for both quarters.

Yop with all due respect is also manners not to belittle a a robbery where a premises has been broken into and property stolen as nicking a few packs of fags.
    Spaceman clearly has no idea what its like to be robbed or threatened on numerous occasions and his tone leaves alot to be desired.

Spaceman the only person on this thread who needs convincing is yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

It's the Sky News/Tabloid generation of media, they sensationalise every tiny little story. We've gone from Gay Byrne topical radio shows to the Joe Duffy whinge-fest of bad things. A knock on effect is that local media has now become tabloid with their approach to the news. People buy into it (esp women IMO). I hear my own wife state it's not safe to let children out on their own, they can't walk to/from school, it's too dangerous. Truth is, there is no increase in child abductions, no predators, just lots of over-hyping and scare-mongering by the media. The place is no more dangerous now than it was 20-30 years ago.

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    It's the Sky News/Tabloid generation of media, they sensationalise every tiny little story. We've gone from Gay Byrne topical radio shows to the Joe Duffy whinge-fest of bad things. A knock on effect is that local media has now become tabloid with their approach to the news. People buy into it (esp women IMO). I hear my own wife state it's not safe to let children out on their own, they can't walk to/from school, it's too dangerous. Truth is, there is no increase in child abductions, no predators, just lots of over-hyping and scare-mongering by the media. The place is no more dangerous now than it was 20-30 years ago.

thank you Póg!
    I too agree we have become too coseted, and every little crime is Miami Vice, or should that be Mulranny Vice?:D

• Advertisement

You can crunch the figures from this page. I took all theft/robbery/fraud figures for both quarters.

Yop with all due respect is also manners not to belittle a a robbery where a premises has been broken into and property stolen as nicking a few packs of fags.
    Spaceman clearly has no idea what its like to be robbed or threatened on numerous occasions and his tone leaves alot to be desired.

Thanks Shellife.
    I appreciate the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭6541

Was in a well know Castlebar boozer today, two undercover cops did a very professional job and nicked a yahoo!

Pog while I agree with regarding the media sensationalism regarding crimes and the way they are reported.

I think that there is more organised and petty crimes now as there is little fear of being caught and little fear of what happens when you are caught.

we have a judge in mayo who thinks that travellers caught stealing on numerous occasions is not a major problem and appears in my eyes to be very lenient in sentencing and punishment.

i just did a quickie "analysis" of the CSO stats.

Homocide offences in the Mayo Garda Div have halved from 2004 Q1 to 2012 Q3!
    Down from 2 to 1.

so much for your living in fear crime wave that is sweeping the county!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Crime gangs and travellers causing trouble are nothing new. My own dad's car was stolen from the back of the house in the early 90s by a known Dublin criminal gang (they were caught later that night up the country).

Infantacide is flatlining.

0 to O over same period.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭6541

I am so scared I can't sleep, ah no thats the drink!

Attempts/threats to murder, assaults, harassments and related offences

has seen a decrease, down from 105 to 94.

still 94 too many, but it's NOT increasing.

Sexual offences down from 14 to 8.
    that's a almost a 50% decrease!

• Advertisement

these Stats are quite illuminating tbh.
    i never realised Mayo was so safe.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement