Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Mayo being hit by a crime wave?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭space_man

Assault causing harm, poisoning is down from 25 to 14!

That's quite an improvement in such a supposedly crime-ridden area.

Blackmail & Extortion has increased 100% from 0 to 1.

Feckin hell, better get on to Liam Neeson.
    "I will find you ......"

Arson is up from 5 to a staggering 6.
    We need to get onto Shatter about this!

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭brownswiss

Were any of you were following the Sligo cases.

http://www.independent.ie/regionals/sligochampion/news/man-on-charge-of-handling-a-stolen-tractor-27593008.html...

Just wondering what the judge would consider a suitable deterrent for this type of crime.

I believe that around the same time a guy with green diesel in his car was sent to prison as he could not pay the fine

Organisation of crime and conspiracy to commit crime is sadly showing little improvement.
    0 to 0.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

*MOD NOTE* Space_man, can you please keep your posts in one if possible, no need for 4 or 5 posts in a row, it keeps the thread tidier.
    Thanks

yop wrote: »
    *MOD NOTE* Space_man, can you please keep your posts in one if possible, no need for 4 or 5 posts in a row, it keeps the thread tidier.
    Thanks

Apologies Mod.
    i got carried away analysing all those crime stats in Co. Mayo. i didn't sleep a wink with the worry.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

space_man wrote: »
    Apologies Mod.
    i got carried away analysing all those crime stats in Co. Mayo. i didn't sleep a wink with the worry.

I'm delighted for you, I won't be sleeping now either if I have to read through reams of your posts ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭yew_tree

It is only a matter of when another Padraig Nally incident will occur in Mayo or another county. The s*umbag thieves will meet their match some night.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭brownswiss

yew_tree wrote: »
    It is only a matter of when another Padraig Nally incident will occur in Mayo or another county. The s*umbag thieves will meet their match some night.
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

http://www.pressdisplay.com/pressdisplay/viewer.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

The garda cars all have ANPR so dont need to have checkpoints for tax insurance, they can tell from the computer in the car if its taxed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Love2u

Mod Note: Thread already on this, don't direct posts to other users. Keep it on thread.
    Final warning.

There have been a few very "newsworthy" incidents of late, and some towns seem to be going downhill fast, but Mayo is largely crime-free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

There have been a few very "newsworthy" incidents of late, and some towns seem to be going downhill fast, but Mayo is largely crime-free.

Yeah......... a case of half-pregnant.......

Love2u wrote: »
    Mod Note: Thread already on this, don't direct posts to other users. Keep it on thread.
    Final warning.

Oops!! I'm a new user and sorry If I done something wrong in here, it was not my intention, the "final warning" was a bit harsh.

Unfortunately it's not as crime free as it use to be!

Shelflife wrote: »
    Pog while I agree with regarding the media sensationalism regarding crimes and the way they are reported.

I think that there is more organised and petty crimes now as there is little fear of being caught and little fear of what happens when you are caught.

we have a judge in mayo who thinks that travellers caught stealing on numerous occasions is not a major problem and appears in my eyes to be very lenient in sentencing and punishment.

I agree 100%. The judge is a problem along with the thugs that are continuously causing trouble.

Love2u wrote: »
    Unfortunately it's not as crime free as it use to be!

no but but it's still largely crime-free.
    that said we've had a stabbing of a totally innocent young lad in Westport in broad daylight. and now the Regina Coady attack.

both are totally unacceptable.

no but but it's still largely crime-free.
    that said we've had a stabbing of a totally innocent young lad in Westport in broad daylight. and now the Regina Coady attack.

both are totally unacceptable.

It's getting out of hand now!! Do see this:

Garda’s partner had knife held to throat in attack

MEMBERS of An Garda Siochána in Mayo have expressed concern for their own wellbeing and what has been described as ‘brazen lawlessness’, following an incident at the weekend where the partner of a serving Garda had a knife held to her throat at home, while the couple’s young children slept upstairs.
    Described as an aggravated burglary, The Mayo News has learned that the incident, which took place at around 10.30pm on Friday night in Charlestown, was a targeted attack on the home of a Garda. He was working at the time when two balaclava-clad men entered his house and began violently assaulting his partner, while shouting at her to reveal his whereabouts. They quickly went through the house looking for him - including entering the room where his children were sleeping - and then held a knife to his partner’s throat before leaving. Though very traumatised by the incident, she was not seriously injured.
    The sinister incident comes just weeks after the home of a detective garda was entered for a second time in two months, and his wife viciously assaulted for a second time.

Meanwhile, The Mayo News has also learnt that the home of a couple from the Castlebar area - "both members of An Garda Siochána" - was burgled at the weekend, while the occupants were away.

Mother of God!:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭thereitisgone

http://www.cso.ie/en/media/csoie/releasespublications/documents/crimejustice/2012/recordedcrime_q42012.pdf
    Page 25.
    229 Mayo burglaries in 2004. 477 burglaries in year 2012.
    Thats a bit of a jump. Looking at these stats a lot of other crimes are around the same numbers for 2004 and 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭rusheen

http://www.cso.ie/en/media/csoie/releasespublications/documents/crimejustice/2012/recordedcrime_q42012.pdf
    Page 25.
    229 Mayo burglaries in 2004. 477 burglaries in year 2012.
    Thats a bit of a jump. Looking at these stats a lot of other crimes are around the same numbers for 2004 and 2012.

Thats what 1.5 a day ? I;d like to see the figures from 15-20 years back .
    Would have been much worse even in bad recessions.

burglaries and home invasions deserve much harsher punishments , victims lives are badly effected afterwards.

The real problem is , with the recession getting worse for longer , crime will only go up and up then it's hard to bring down again.

Dam country is slowly being destroyed , things will never be the same again

Holy Jesus!

***MOD NOTE**
    After a chat with the other moderator we have decided that instead of closing this thread, we will let it flow for the time been but under the condition that space_man is not allowed to post on this thread again. The over reaction and drama posted on this and in direct contradiction to posts on other threads please do not post on this thread again. If you do, you will receive an instant forum ban.

**MOD NOTE**

Going forward please put links if you are posting stories. We don't want rumors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

If any of ye see an Audi RS4 or a similar high-powered car parked up with its doors all open and the engine running then call the Gardai and do not approach it!
    The gang regularly travel in convoy in the middle of the night using the country's motorway network to strike shops, filling stations and private homes in towns and villages with relative impunity.

A garda intelligence source revealed: "They can literally strike anywhere in the country. They can make the journey from Dublin to Galway in less than an hour using the motorway and we have nothing available to us to catch up with them, apart from the helicopter."

As well as terrorising their victims, these ruthless thugs are forcing already hard-pressed business people in towns and villages to close their stores.
    When they arrive in a town to do a robbery, part of their modus operandi is that the driver of the getaway car remains in the vehicle with the doors open and the engine running.

Another member of the gang, armed with rocks or bars, acts as a look-out from the shadows, staying within view of the car and the targeted premises.

The other two or more robbers break into the shop or house they have targeted.

Link

It's only a matter of time before they cause a serious accident or seriously injure someone. What chance do the Garda have with their family saloons?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

eire-kp wrote: »
    OP I agree with you completely. It's the same where I come from in Sligo. I can think off at least 15 robberies locally most where the houses were broken into while people were at mass etc.
    Three years ago I couldn't think of one robbery locally.

I think it's going to get worse and eventually someone will end up shooting some of the culprits.

Something to look forward to then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭rsole1

mikom wrote: »
    Yeah.......... I just imagined a nearby publican and shopkeeper having his shotgun taken from him by the Gardai after he fired a shot at raiders one night last week........... the same raiders who then tried to enter another business in Portumna shortly after that same night, then were chased by the Gardai to Tipp, where they then lost their chasers.........

http://www.galwaynews.ie/30214-attempted-burglaries-abbeyknockmoy-and-portumna

Where did you get your information of the "publican and shopkeeper having his shotgun taken from him by Gardai". I don't dispute your info, but would just like the source.

Not much in the line of crime where I am....someone (em...me!) came back from the shops yesterday evening and locked the car. Couldn't find the keys this morning....until I looked out and saw them stuck in the car door :o . Also keys to our main car, house, other vehicles on the ring. To make it even better, if someone got into the house we are renting in, we have piles of stuff stored from our house that we have just sold here until we hit off again. Worse still - they could have stolen ME :D:P:D

• Advertisement

** MOD NOTE **
    Ignoring our instruction not to post space_man is banned from the forum.

I'm closing this thread also as its run it course

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement