Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Londis/Subway on lower baggot St?

Options
  • 23-01-2013 8:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know what the story is with this shop? It was open when I went away on Jan 11th and it's closed since I got back this week. The londis sign is covered and the shutter is half down. This is the site that used to be the Henry Grattan Pub. Both the shop and subway were always really busy so I'm baffled as to why it's closed. No sign up anywhere

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Yeah I work across the road from it and was really surprised to see it closed. The shutters were half-open at lunchtime on Monday when I went by but when I peeked in they were dismantling the coffee machine and looked like they were packing up stock.

It was a handy little shop, they did decent hot food were always really busy at lunchtime, Subway was as well. The staff were a very unfriendly lot though!

Hopefully it will be snapped up by a Spar or Centra soon. O'Brien's, Cafe Sol, Olive Green and the other lunchtime places around it have been so busy this week as a result!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

It's very odd. I checked the Londis and Subway websites and it's gone from both. Someone in work said they thought it had flooded but it now looks as if it's the end of the line.

Ironically Astons was badly hit when Londis opened, yet it's still going and they're gone. Conversion costs from the peak of the boom took it's toll I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Dr. Jonathan Crane

Found the staff to be very rude in there on several occasions, mainly the Subway ones. Good riddance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

The closure of the BOI head office must have had a real impact on them. The deli was awful even by the low standards of convenience shop delis in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Seni_Seviyorum

What was wrong with the staff i found them all very nice and had no problem with the food

• Advertisement

What was wrong with the staff i found them all very nice and had no problem with the food

I usually only ever went in in the morning, there was never a smile from any of the staff. Some of the people who would be in at lunchtime were a bit nicer but the morning staff were just so unfriendly.

I rarely ever had any of the deli food but whenever I had it, it was grand, run-of-the-mill hot counter stuff.

ok :-) i only ever went in the evening staff was friendly

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

I passed it on Sunday and it was open iirc.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Is that the one right beside the BOI building? I went past at one point last week and it looked like they were doing a refit.

I passed it on Sunday and it was open iirc.

I didn't think it even opened at weekends? Maybe you were thinking of a different shop? They have all the Londis signs covered up and it hasn't been opened at all in over a week.
    stevenmu wrote: »
    Is that the one right beside the BOI building? I went past at one point last week and it looked like they were doing a refit.

Yeah that's the one. When I walked by last Monday it looked like they were removing stock and shelving!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭tomboylady

I walked past it a few times last week; it's definitely closed. They had the shutter half up and were clearing stuff out of it at one point when I walked past.

its gone completely my friend works in it and she told me its gone to upper o'connell street. well by some of the comments here i dont blame them for going.

its gone completely my friend works in it and she told me its gone to upper o'connell street. well by some of the comments here i dont blame them for going.

Lol yes we must have bullied them out of Baggot Street!

Lol yes we must have bullied them out of Baggot Street!

Yes paying them our money at their budget-unfriendly prices was very rude of us. Almost as rude as closing up without a sign/notice alerting their customers and thanking them for their custom over previous years.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

athtrasna wrote: »
    always really busy
    always really busy
    It's easy to be a "busy fool".

One has to make money to survive.;)

It's easy to be a "busy fool".

One has to make money to survive.;)

At their prices if they weren't making money they were doing something very wrong. I suspect it was a case of spending a lot on converting the building at the height of the boom.

Re-opened about 10 days ago as a Spar. Went to go in today to meet someone for lunch but the upstairs seating area wasn't open so we ended up going to the Spar near Toners (former National Irish Bank). Will have a proper look in the next week or so. Wonder if upstairs will be seating only or we will get a Subway/other concession back, the Spars seem to team up with Insomnia but I don't see that going down very well with Cafe Sol next door!

The shop isn't very well laid out, but they have a really good selection of deli foods, hot and cold. Feel bad for Bennett & Nolan across the road...they've been doing brilliantly for the past year, even did the place up recently, now they're practically dead again!

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭tomboylady

Another Spar? Sheesh. That's three on that small stretch of road now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

tomboylady wrote: »
    Another Spar? Sheesh. That's three on that small stretch of road now.

All are owned by the same guy

• Advertisement
Advertisement