Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do with Boundary Patio Wall?

• 23-01-2013 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭

Hi all,

My first post on boards, so please do be gentle :)

I have a semi-detached house with a west/south west facing garden, and a reasonable patio off the living room measuring approx 6m x 2.5 meters. The 6 meter section is the boundary wall with the neighbour and stands between 1.5 and 2 meters in height

I am trying to work out what to do with the wall. There was a trellis on it, but have taken it down as it was rotting. The options I have come up with are:
    1. plaster and paint the wall
    2. cover in wooden railing
    3. line with wicker or something similar
    4. tile it with some sort of outdoor tile

All of the above don't really appeal to me as I think it would close in the space a bit too much.

The final option I have come up with is to do an outdoor mosaic type design on it, without being overly complex and give it a more modern/personal stamp. I am assuming this will be about 2 weekends work (in summer), once the design has been drawn etc.

Question is - am I mad to consider this as an option in Dublin given the weather ?

Opinions and/or other alternatives most welcome

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭ponddigger

hi any photos of your patio wall, jack

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭gnf_ireland

ponddigger wrote: »
    hi any photos of your patio wall, jack

Will sort some out on Friday and post here. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭rje66

Hi all,

1. plaster and paint the wall
    2. cover in wooden railing
    3. line with wicker or something similar
    4. tile it with some sort of outdoor tile

I would a good bit of 1. and a little bit of 2. And 3., put some decent pots with plants in front and youd be amazed at results.
    I have similar except instead of 4. I have prepatinated copper. The contrast of different textures and colours Look great
    see link
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/cuik5bat5g8nmdx/12dri.wall.jpg

As requested, here are a few photos from the patio area I am talking about

1412 - view of wall from living room

1414 - context of patio to end of garden (not its around 15 meters to end of garden from pillar)

1415 - opposite wall of the garden (raised beds & proposed glasshouse in the corner)

1417 - view of patio from raised beds area and full length of the wall exposed

wall is 215cm high at the house side, and 145cm high at the pillar side, with a slope between the two sections
    high section is 260cm, slope is 100cm, low section is 310cm and pillar is 45cm - making total length 715 cm

Hope this puts some context on what I am looking to do !

hi this is what i done around a oil tank,jack24197_165.jpg

• Advertisement

hi,,95775_112.jpg

hidscf4130_447.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭Markcheese

ponddigger wrote: »
    hidscf4130_447.jpg
    Lot of work but well hidden ... ,
    I saw a garden where they'd put in a few fake windows ( simple wooden frames and mirror behind ) and a fake doorway , then planted a mix of creepers / climbing plants on wires over the wall ,( part covering window and door) looked brilliant and even though you knew it was fake it still felt as if the garden was on the other side of the wall ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 9 dah89

Me, i'd cover the walls with espalier trees, and in a couple of years enjoy the pleasure of walking out and picking one off the tastiest apples or pears you're ever going to taste. Here's a few examples http://blog.glamourdrops.com/2011/06/espalier-fruit-trees-thats-natty.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

The OP could also look at fitting composite decking to the wall.

Wont ever rot and no need to stain or oil it...EVER.

• Advertisement

Hi all

thanks very much for the ideas and suggestions. I have reviewed it with my wife and we have agreed that we will give the mosaic idea a go. A little project for the summer months (assuming weather is good)

I will update you with photos of the work once completed - and you can all tell me now mad I am/was :)

thanks again

hi here is some ideas you might like. jack

Advertisement