Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Alarm for DIY Install?

Options
  • 23-01-2013 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi All,

I wish to buy an alarm for my house and install it myself. I've rang around for quotes from the experts, but I just do not have the type of money they are quoting.

Is there an alarm that I can buy online and install myself without too much trouble?
    I have no background in electronics, but have a technical mind.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

What's your budget like ?
    Is your house wired for an alarm ?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Prizen

What's your budget like ?
    Is your house wired for an alarm ?

My budget is €400 max, less if I can. Would I get any sort at all for this price?
    My house is wired for an alarm, but wouldn't installing a wireless system still be easier?

Something that's easy to install is important.

Thanks

Yes wireless is easier . How many doors and windows do you have ?
    You could get the quantum kit 2
    Includes RF bell
    RF fob
    2x RF PIRs
    1x RF reed sensor
    1x RF reed/shock sensor
    Panel with built in voice / text dialler
    Very easy to install
    €400

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Prizen wrote: »
    My budget is €400 max, less if I can. Would I get any sort at all for this price?
    My house is wired for an alarm, but wouldn't installing a wireless system still be easier?

Something that's easy to install is important.

Thanks

You are mad to be installing wireless if your house is wired.
    Get yourself a Siemens or HKC 10/70 and sensors & contacts for the windows/doors
    1 PiR & an internal & external bell.
    That will be much nearer your budget than a few wireless devices.

Are the wires marked ?
    Wired sensors cost €15
    PIRs €17
    Panel + keypad €170
    Bell box €57
    Int bell €17
    Battery €16
    Dialler €70- €90
    Gsm € €170

Of course wireless will be easier and you can always have a mix of wired & wireless sensors . You can also add sensors at a later stage . But of course have a go at wiring and take your time . :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 Prizen

wires aren't marked, I could see this causing major headaches for me! This is why I am geared toward wireless!

I have 2 doors and a patio door, so 3 doors total. 6 windows total

You could bell out the wires using a multimeter

Wireless
    €400 quantum kit 2
    €420 rf sensors x 7
    Rough prices*
    €820

Unless you'd be willing to order a simon xt v2 on eBay from the states and have a transformer made in one of the electronic repair stores . Picture below and vids on YouTube .
    1st pic is the ge simon xt v2
    2nd is the HKC quantum
    You might be able to get a visonic system that suits your budget

The simon xt will work out the cheapest

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

You wont get 9 devices on Visonic for that budget either,
    Go with the wired. We will give you all the help you need here.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭John Kelly of

If your main control panel is in an area like your hallway then you could just buy a soundbomb for 5 euro and put it inside the panel as its cheaper than a regular internal siren.
    If you don't have a multimeter then you could use the back up battery and soundbomb to bell out the wires.

Advertisement