Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cervelo P2/triathlon bike.

Options
  • 23-01-2013 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi all. I'm looking to buy a triathlon bike. I have at most €3000 to spend. There is a good bit of choice out there but the Cervelo P2 has caught my eye (can't afford the P3).

I came across one here http://shop.edelrad.de/product.php?id_product=607

Just wonder has anyone had any dealings with Edelrad.de, do you think this is the best buy for the bucks and what size do you think I would need. Any other bike recommendations would also be greatly appreciated.

Backround info.

I'm 6'1" with a 33" inside leg. I've been doing triathlons for about 3 years. I currently have a Focus Cayo with a 58cm frame.

Thanks for reading this. Hope you can help.

Kevin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Hi all. I'm looking to buy a triathlon bike. I have at most €3000 to spend. There is a good bit of choice out there but the Cervelo P2 has caught my eye (can't afford the P3).

I came across one here http://shop.edelrad.de/product.php?id_product=607

Just wonder has anyone had any dealings with Edelrad.de, do you think this is the best buy for the bucks and what size do you think I would need. Any other bike recommendations would also be greatly appreciated.

Backround info.

I'm 6'1" with a 33" inside leg. I've been doing triathlons for about 3 years. I currently have a Focus Cayo with a 58cm frame.

Thanks for reading this. Hope you can help.

Kevin

Can't go far wrong with a P2 however I would see your local bike shop or the major retailers as now is the time for bargains on last years models if in your size and the like.
    €3k will get you a pretty serious TT bike over here - BMC, Argon, Specialized or Felt etc whatever takes your fancy.
    If you really want a Cervelo then yes irish prices seem inflated and may be best going alternative route.

If going the import route, I'd look at R and A Cycles in NYC.

Size in general is one smaller than your road bike. So that may be a 55 or 56 for you on TT.

Number 1 priority first though - get a bike fit and your measurements done. Most bike shops that sell TT bikes do this for a nominal fee and you will have your stack and reach numbers to check what bikes fit you.

Dom @ Base 2 Race does these from experience and I'd recommend him if in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 culturedkevin

Fazz wrote: »

Can't go far wrong with a P2 however I would see your local bike shop or the major retailers as now is the time for bargains on last years models if in your size and the like.
    €3k will get you a pretty serious TT bike over here - BMC, Argon, Specialized or Felt etc whatever takes your fancy.
    If you really want a Cervelo then yes irish prices seem inflated and may be best going alternative route.

If going the import route, I'd look at R and A Cycles in NYC.

Size in general is one smaller than your road bike. So that may be a 55 or 56 for you on TT.

Number 1 priority first though - get a bike fit and your measurements done. Most bike shops that sell TT bikes do this for a nominal fee and you will have your stack and reach numbers to check what bikes fit you.

Dom @ Base 2 Race does these from experience and I'd recommend him if in Dublin.

Thanks Fazz. I'm in limerick and I've had a look around in a few shops here. To be honest there isn't that much value for money here.

I had a look at racycles and they have some range of bikes. They said they would put what ever value I wanted on the bike and $275 for shipping. It's a bit risky though. Don't want to be hit with a massive customs bill.

I think I'll pop up to base 2 race for a proper fitting as you suggested. No point in being on a bike that is going to break my heart as well as my back. ðŸ˜႒

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

There is also good value to be had in the 2nd hand market as another option although possibly not as good a selection unlike at the end of season!!
    As Fazz mentioned get a fit done and see what geometry setup would suit before you commit to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Briando

There is also good value to be had in the 2nd hand market as another option although possibly not as good a selection unlike at the end of season!!
    As Fazz mentioned get a fit done and see what geometry setup would suit before you commit to buy.

Indeed there is a guy from Piranna TriClub called Peter selling a Felt Carbon B16 with Disc wheel and deep front wheel included for 2300. Had an add on done deal a few days ago. He is about 6ft so his bike should fit you perfect and leave you race ready.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Thanks Fazz. I'm in limerick and I've had a look around in a few shops here. To be honest there isn't that much value for money here.

did you try planet tri out in killaloe? the two guys in there race tri themselves, have no connection to the store other than a very satisfied customer, but they know their stuff and i've found them very competitive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭ChickenBalls

I had a look at racycles and they have some range of bikes. They said they would put what ever value I wanted on the bike and $275 for shipping. It's a bit risky though. Don't want to be hit with a massive customs bill.

I got a P2C 2007 TT bike back in 2009 for $1700 from racycles - I did get caught for customs which was about 200 quid - the value they had on the bike was $500 so expect to get caught if you do go down that route but you'll still save a few quid buying from them. I'd recommend a P2C (Carbon) version for the money your looking at spending you'd get a 2011 at the very least.

mossym wrote: »

did you try planet tri out in killaloe? the two guys in there race tri themselves, have no connection to the store other than a very satisfied customer, but they know their stuff and i've found them very competitive

Forgot about them. Must take a trip out there. Ideally I'd like to buy a bike here. Supporting jobs etc but you can beat dealing with a person who knows what they are talking about as apposed to a web page.

Thanks for the help everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭darragh_k

Did you get the Cervelo P2. Droool. man I'd love one!

No. Got a felt B12 form eurocycles for €2100. Very happy with it so far. Going to give it a big day out next year at Ironman Nice. Hopefully it's the right bike for the job. 😱

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Queue Briangiggsy with a few pics of his new weapon of choice.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Fazz wrote: »

Argon - no comparision to P2, not sure any of their models are fantasic
    Felt - can you say "manufacturing issues"?
    Spesh - the Shiv is nice, other than that they have nothing. The Transition is a pig in the tunnel.
    BMC - pricey

Bang for buck - still cannot top the P2 in my mind

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

these days bryan's weapon of choice is swimming ;-)

Look at this for a bargin.

http://shop.edelrad.de/product.php?id_product=686&id_lang=1

Anyone want a felt b12? It's going handy. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Dont forget slane cycles up north. Tey are always competitive with their pricing and always have old stock well reduced. They are selling the p5 six for 20% off at the mo but unfortunately some fecker who shall soon make himself known got the last one :-P (and no it wasnt me, i was the next caller!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Bambaata wrote: »
    Dont forget slane cycles up north. Tey are always competitive with their pricing and always have old stock well reduced. They are selling the p5 six for 20% off at the mo but unfortunately some fecker who shall soon make himself known got the last one :-P (and no it wasnt me, i was the next caller!)

If its who I think it is you were hardly fighting over the same size frame?

Anyone want a felt b12? It's going handy. :-)

sure if you want rid i can even collect...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Not me:) i reckon a certain ElDirector perhaps? I have my eye on the new Ridley Dean Fast TT although the P2 is still a lovely tt bike.

Not me:) i reckon a certain ElDirector perhaps? I have my eye on the new Ridley Dean Fast TT although the P2 is still a lovely tt bike.

saw one of those in planet tri in killaloe, absolutely smashing bike

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

We were indeed :( In fairness it was he who tipped me off but when i called all 56's were gone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

I bought the 2013 frame in R&A cycles in late may. I bought an fx through transfermate and deposited the cash directly into R& a cycles account. I did not get hit for duty on delivery until today after i posted this. They billed my co as they delivered here. 250 yo yos !. Cost was 1558 euro plus duty/vat. I already had wheels , crankset ,peddles and saddle. I got it built in richies by frank o connnor in swords with all ultegra..and t2 profile design bars..cost 550 all in if i remember correctly. Will post a photo tonight. Great bike.

B

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

OUCH!!! That's a b1tch that you got hit so long after.

On the positive side - it is a sweeeet machine :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭rooneyjm

I'm also in the market for a new tri-bike. Most of the shops dont stock many frame size if any and considering the fit is the most important part, its a bit of a pain.

Havent seen anyone mention the Exocet 2 on this thread, does nobody rate it?

Advertisement