Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bord gais pre-pay meters rip off

Options
  • 23-01-2013 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

hi has anyone else out there having problems with the bord gais pre pay meter
    like having to put 70 euro on the card for a weeks gas supply...i have been ripped off for the last few months and every time i ring they pass the buck...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Hi, I got a pre-pay meter installed by Bord Gais in December and every week I top it up with €25, which lasts me from Thursday to Tuesday (at the moment-I've had the heating on a lot more than usual cos it's been so cold).
    It doesn't sound right that €70 is only lasting you a week.

What temperature have you got your heating at?
    How often is it on?

Honestly, you should call them-that doesn't sound right.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 juji

lollier wrote: »
    hi has anyone else out there having problems with the bord gais pre pay meter
    like having to put 70 euro on the card for a weeks gas supply...i have been ripped off for the last few months and every time i ring they pass the buck...

Hi, yes I had a meter installed in November and seemed to be constantly topping it up so I have started to keep my receipts, I put €30 on card on the 16th Jan another €30 on 24th Jan and €20 on 2nd Feb so that is €80 for 2 weeks and 2 days!! I hardly ever put the heating on and when I do I am careful to put it timed for 1hr, other than the heating I only have a gas hob (which I rarely use) I mainly use the electric oven or microwave.

There is no way my bills were this high before I had the meter fitted even though I would have had the heating on more often.

Definitely feel I'm being ripped off, gonna see if I can revert back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Are you paying back any arrears. I remember someone saying that if you are paying off arrears a certain % goes to that. Just a thought as I don't have gas myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Kat1170 wrote: »
    Are you paying back any arrears. I remember someone saying that if you are paying off arrears a certain % goes to that. Just a thought as I don't have gas myself.

I was sent a letter from Bord Gais last month saying they were taking 25% of my top-ups to pay off my bill that was in arrears, so you're right there.

Advertisement