Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boxer lose bladder control

• 23-01-2013 10:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭

Wonder if anyone might be able to help. Our 10yo boxer has lose control of his bladder. He was always a very clean dog, never had any accidents after puppy training.

About 1 year ago he was diagnosied with artrititis on his spine. He was given steriod / pain killers to take every day, vet said he may lose a little control at first, but would get it back. This did happen, within a few weeks he was back to himself, never messing anywhere. But lately he has just lose control. He would be asleep and wet himself. He could be walking in the house and start piddling. We have brought him back to the vet and they can't find anything wrong.

TBH we are finding it very hard with him now. Every night we are up 3 / 4 time to let him out. We have a terrible smell in the house from his accidents. we can't leave him out all night, he would wake the neighbourhood, not fair on him, them or us. We don't want to keep water away from him for the night, but it could be the option.

Any ideas? Time to puppy train again?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I'd bring him to the vet for a checkup. Ten years is a good inning for a boxer and the incontinence could be a sign of kidney trouble or similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

I'd bring him to the vet for a checkup. Ten years is a good inning for a boxer and the incontinence could be a sign of kidney trouble or similar.

Already done that. Spent the night getting blood and god know what else.

Just laughing, Gran Hermano replies about my Boxer called Herman....It an omen I tell ya...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

Sounds like a medical issue rather than training. Hopefully the vet can help. Poor oul fella, it must be distressing for him. 10 is old for a boxer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

At ten you can be sure the old chap knows where to pee or not and I agree its not training needed.
    Average lifespan for a boxer is 10-11 years, I'd be spoiling him rotten at this stage and making him as comfortable as possible. He's probably stressing himself knowing he can't hold it in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭yaya*

Have a 14 year old lab myself who had a few accidents there a few months ago-very unlike her so straight to the vet and he prescribed antibiotics for a bladder infection-said if it didn't solve the problem to come back to him but thankfully, it worked-dry nights since finishing the antibiotic-maybe ask your vet to prescribe it anyway and see if it has any effect?
    She had no temperature and hadnt gone off her food etc-no other symptoms but that.

Other than that, as other posters have said-keep her happy and cosy-poor pet-they hate it as much as we do, I think!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

If the vet has ruled out diabetes, pain, or other health problems, I'm a little confused why they haven't given you anything to treat what sounds like urinary incontinence? If the poor oul dog is peeing himself in bed, he's incontinent. It certainly does not sound like a training issue!
    Whilst it's not going to be cured, there are drugs which help sphincter function and can buy an elderly incontinent dog some extra time.
    Any idea why your vet didn't go down this road OP?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

At ten you can be sure the old chap knows where to pee or not and I agree its not training needed.
    Average lifespan for a boxer is 10-11 years, I'd be spoiling him rotten at this stage and making him as comfortable as possible. He's probably stressing himself knowing he can't hold it in.

It's so ironic that the lifelong puppies that boxers are have a such a short lifespan, anything after 8 is grave with them sadly. I've seen labs at 12 looking fresher than some 6-7 year old boxer. :(

OP I would agree that this is more than likely a health issue rather than him forgetting his housetraining, especially as he is wetting himself while sleeping a dog will usually never wet their bed unless they really can't help it, it sounds like has zero control over it.

As for what you can do for him, I think another trip to the vet is in order, if anything just to see if you can make him more comfortable. With the messes, try taking him outside more often, maybe once every hour or so, that way he has a chance to empty his bladder. And at night you try putting down some puppy training pads and maybe getting up once in the middle of the night to take him out to relieve himself. I know it might seem like its a lot of bother but remember he probably hates doing this, as he knows he's not supposed to. My cat had a UTI last year who started peeing in the house in the middle of the night, usually she is spotless, she would actually go and hide after despite the fact that she was never given out to. So just for now try and make him as comfortable as possible and enjoy your time with him, you'll be glad you did when the time comes to say goodbye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

It could also be as a result of the steroids, which can be diuretics in a lot of cases. There are meds as DBB mentioned e,g Incurin that are specifically prescribed for canine incontinence and work wonders. I can guarantee he's not enjoying peeing on himself or in his bed any more than you are.

Until you get this sorted, you can make a dog nappy for him to keep him and your floors dry, but this should only be a temporary measure until you get to the root of the problem,

Thanks everyone for the advice. Think we will head back up to the vet and see what can be done.

I know he is 10, but he looks and behaves a lot younger. Here's hoping he will be around a lot longer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

I know he is 10, but he looks and behaves a lot younger. Here's hoping he will be around a lot longer.
    Great attitude to have. You should be very proud of yourself for getting him to this age. The best thing you can do now is afford him a comfortable and happy "old age". You can guarantee he doesn't like this anymore than you do ;)

Advertisement