Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hazard vs Ball Boy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Hazys wrote: »
    TBF he's 17, i presume he wouldnt be ball boying for much longer anyway otherwise he would be a ball man. Also, what he did was wrong and he should be taken off the duty anyway regardless if he was the "victim". Also, his old man is a director at Swansea so he won't be fired.

I don't disagree but when you juxtapose it with the 3 game ban that most expect for Hazard it comes across as a bit off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,750 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I still don't get this logic. And it won't be a mitigating circumstance when the FA review the case. "But it was a cup semi-final!" "So ****ing what Eden, you kicked a ballboy."
    You don't get why he would lose his cool when 'being trolled' whilst losing a cup semi-final? Seriously?

I didn't make my comment regarding the ban, just regarding him losing his cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭GEM_13

CSF wrote: »
    iYSwHAr41O3kb.gif

He could easily have just rolled him off the ball.He shouldn't have kicked out even if the young fella was being a dick.

Showed great example to the 2 kids in the front row as well-classy guy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

I don't disagree but when you juxtapose it with the 3 game ban that most expect for Hazard it comes across as a bit off.

Not saying what Hazard did was right but the incident would never have happened had the ball boy acted appropriately in that situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

he barely touched him. The "minor" isn't 8 he has plenty of pics all over twitter of drink (bulmers actually good choice), ripped up accumulator bets etc. If he's old enough to legally drink, bet, smoke etc then he's hardly a "minor".

Jesus way to go stalk a kids twitter profile :eek:, hes not old enough to any of the above legally hes a minor, if true he done most them like most teenagers illegally.

AdamD wrote: »
    You don't get why he would lose his cool when 'being trolled' whilst losing a cup semi-final? Seriously?

I didn't make my comment regarding the ban, just regarding him losing his cool.

Yes, in these circumstances, I don't get it. I got it when the Ghanaians were pissed when Suarez handled the ball on the line, or when the Irish were pissed when Henry handled the ball to create a goal. These were proper, result influencing things that happened. I don't get it when it's such a trivial situation. It's a minor irritant. Hazard's actions can't really be defended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I'd have done the exact same has Hazard in the situation, as would a lot of people, so I won't be taking out a pitchfork or anything of the sort.

If Hazard gets strung up for it, and he probably will, then so should that little smart arse bollox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

as for all the "millionaire footballer" v ballboy....the ballboys dad is a millionaire and the kid himself certainly doesnt shirk posting pics of his private swimming pool in his gaf or travelling 1st class on planes, or being in Vegas or NY etc.....

Basically stupid rich kid troll v rich kid footballer being a dope, 3 game ban move on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,391 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Kicks teenage ballboy for not giving him the ball: 3 match ban

Trolls multi-millionaire footballer and gets kicked in the process: Never allowed to do that job again.

That doesn't seem right, tbh.

I'd also hope that a lot of people wouldn't lose their cool over something like that. It is completely irrational and out of character for Hazard so I don't know why we would be assuming a lot of people would do similar.

It's not trolling, there's millions or at least hundreds of thousands at stake in that match and Hazard was prevented from doing his job. It wasn't a hard kick and the lad was quick enough to move once he got it. If it had been 10 or 20 years ago a tap in the midsection would be the least of someone acting the prat like that's worries. You get yourself stupidly involved in a contact sport-expect contact.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I'd have done the exact same has Hazard in the situation, as would a lot of people, so I won't be taking out a pitchfork or anything of the sort.

If Hazard gets strung up for it, and he probably will, then so should that little smart arse bollox.

You would really kick a kid for holding onto the ball? That's crazy, Xavi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I'm sure if you speed up the video as well as looping it , it will look even more violent - it was a slight kick to release the ball - get over it - oh i forgot passion in football is not allowed these days - same as the fecken morons shouting abuse at Cantona - take a cold bath Mr Cantona - yeah right ,

GEM_13 wrote: »
    He could easily have just rolled him off the ball.He shouldn't have kicked out even if the young fella was being a dick.

Showed great example to the 2 kids in the front row as well-classy guy

And risk injury to himself? What if he'd bent down and the lad took a swing at him? What if he pulled a muscle in his back? What he did was the best way of getting the kid off the ball with lowest risk of injury.

Yes, in these circumstances, I don't get it. I got it when the Ghanaians were pissed when Suarez handled the ball on the line, or when the Irish were pissed when Henry handled the ball to create a goal. These were proper, result influencing things that happened. I don't get it when it's such a trivial situation. It's a minor irritant. Hazard's actions can't really be defended.
    I don't think you understand at all. Have you played sport properly? In that situation, those 10/20 seconds being wasted won't feel trivial in the slightest to Hazard, hes pumped up/in the zone/whatever you want to call it. I think most people who have played sport have gotten unnecessarily angry at tiny instances of time wasting late on in close games.

Liam O wrote: »
    It's not trolling, there's millions or at least hundreds of thousands at stake in that match and Hazard was prevented from doing his job.

Are you actually arguing that Hazard was justified in doing what he did? I'd also like to point out that I don't think that it was a hard kick and I think the kid acted like a bit of a gimp. i'm just surprised at how many people would say that they'd do the same or are bordering on saying the kid deserved it or that Hazard was justified. It is such a stupid thing to do.

You would really kick a kid for holding onto the ball? That's crazy, Xavi.

If a ball boy deliberately rolled over on top of the ball to waste time when my team was down in a must win cup tie I would try to kick it from his hands, yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

It was funny cos its so ridiculous that its so status quo in GAA that a 30 year old man feels its natural to dig a 16 year old in the stomach.

The 16 year old was planning in an adult team. I doubt your man was going to take it easy on him because he was only a young lad. Funnier still was his manager screaming at him to get up off the floor like he just decide to take a nap in the middle of the field for the laugh...its a strange world the GAA is.

GAA forum is here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=269

you see this nonsense happen between footballers all the time. A team 2-0 down, they score, the keeper grabs the ball and holds it, players always try grab the ball off the keeper and sometimes scuffle. They just want the ball back to get on with the game. Hazard at no point during the game thought "i'll just kick a ball boy for the buzz". He made a bit of contact he'll have to sit it out 3 games, anything else is a joke.

Nice to see the mentality of some people on here, you condone kicking a kid.

Yeh I dont have pitchforks out for Hazard either it was no Cantona moment but to say Hazard was right is shocking. He should have known better and acted in a more professional manner after all it his is job and like the rest of us in work your expected to act in a certain manner even more so when you have millions watching your actions including millions of impressionable kids.

The ballboy was a fool but had Hazard stood back and laughed the extra time would have been allocated the ball boy would of looked more of a fool and Chelsea still would have had 11 players on the pitch, but your right lets all go out and do what Hazard done tonight :rolleyes:.

A three game ban and a fine should be enough punishment but those defending Hazards actions shocking really.

thebaz wrote: »
    I'm sure if you speed up the video as well as looping it , it will look even more violent - it was a slight kick to release the ball - get over it - oh i forgot passion in football is not allowed these days - same as the fecken morons shouting abuse at Cantona - take a cold bath Mr Cantona - yeah right ,

Agree, there was no attempt to follow through, just to poke the ball out of there, again not defending what he did but defending his intent.

• Advertisement

SantryRed wrote: »

Maybe you should get a job at the helpdesk forum...which is here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=30

Yeh I dont have pitchforks out for Hazard either it was no Cantona moment but to say Hazard was right is shocking. He should have known better and acted in a more professional manner after all it his is job and like the rest of us in work your expected to act in a certain manner even more so when you have millions watching your actions including millions of impressionable kids.

The ballboy was a fool but had Hazard stood back and laughed the extra time would have been allocated the ball boy would of looked more of a fool and Chelsea still would have had 11 players on the pitch, but your right lets all go out and do what Hazard done tonight :rolleyes:.

A three game ban and a fine should be enough punishment but those defending Hazards actions shocking really.
    I'd say you've never lost your cool, ever.

Its shocking Joe.

Are you actually arguing that Hazard was justified in doing what he did? I'd also like to point out that I don't think that it was a hard kick and I think the kid acted like a bit of a gimp. i'm just surprised at how many people would say that they'd do the same or are bordering on saying the kid deserved it or that Hazard was justified. It is such a stupid thing to do.

I'm not bordering on it, the kid absolutely got what he deserved. There was no malice in the kick from Hazard, it was just to get the ball out. What he did was the quickest and easiest way of getting the ball from the nearly fully grown man. Can we stop calling him a kid? When Hazard was his age he was playing first team professional football. 17 is old enough to know better.

I don't think you understand at all. Have you played sport properly? In that situation, those 10/20 seconds being wasted won't feel trivial in the slightest to Hazard, hes pumped up/in the zone/whatever you want to call it. I think most people who have played sport have gotten unnecessarily angry at tiny instances of time wasting late on in close games.

I knew that was coming. Suffice to say that I have played football to a fairly high level. But then, anybody could say that on an anonymous internet forum so it's a pointless question. Some people may react poorly to in-game situations but they are in the wrong. Matches get heated, players have rivalries during the game. If Hazard does that to a fellow pro, this is a small story.

Once you get involved with anybody on the peripheries of the game it becomes an altogether different matter. At no point in my time playing sports have I ever lost the cool so much as to even contemplate getting involved with somebody on the sideline. It's madness. Even at amateur level if you were to do what Hazard did tonight and it was spotted by the ref you'd be running the risk of getting a huge ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

It was funny cos its so ridiculous that its so status quo in GAA that a 30 year old man feels its natural to dig a 16 year old in the stomach.

The 16 year old was planning in an adult team. I doubt your man was going to take it easy on him because he was only a young lad. Funnier still was his manager screaming at him to get up off the floor like he just decide to take a nap in the middle of the field for the laugh...its a strange world the GAA is.

What you are describing really is not strange. Sometimes men punch and kick each other on the field of sport. It's not a big deal in the slightest.

This young man (and at 17 he definitely qualifies as that) got the mildest of taps off a guy five years his elder because he was acting the prick. It is a nothing incident. Hazard was stupid to get involved with the ball boy so will deserve his three game ban.

The ball boy made an absolute show of himself and so deserves to get a lot of stick off his mates.

All the softies on here crying about the man assaulting the boy need to give themselves a slap.

I'm not bordering on it, the kid absolutely got what he deserved. There was no malice in the kick from Hazard, it was just to get the ball out. What he did was the quickest and easiest way of getting the ball from the nearly fully grown man. Can we stop calling him a kid? When Hazard was his age he was playing first team professional football. 17 is old enough to know better.

Okay, I think we'll leave it there. We're at polar opposites and we won't get close to each other on this one.

• Advertisement

Yeh I dont have pitchforks out for Hazard either it was no Cantona moment but to say Hazard was right is shocking.

Well that's the thing Captain Misquote, I never said he was right. I said I understand why he did it.

Two different things altogether so try separate them.

My point is that most of those singing from the moral high ground on this one would have done the exact same thing.

Pro. F wrote: »
    What you are describing really is not strange. Sometimes men punch and kick each other on the field of sport. It's not a big deal in the slightest.

This young man (and at 17 he definitely qualifies as that) got the mildest of taps off a guy five years his elder because he was acting the prick. It is a nothing incident. Hazard was stupid to get involved with the ball boy so will deserve his three game ban.

The ball boy made an absolute show of himself and so deserves to get a lot of stick off his mates.

All the softies on here crying about the man assaulting the boy need to give themselves a slap.

I'd say the opposite tho...he'll be a legend in school tomorrow. Trolled a multi-millionaire footballer, got him sent off, helped his local team make the cup final, all on national TV...he'll be living it up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

The only issue I would have with it is that as a professional, Hazard simply should just know better.

There wouldn't be a peep out of anyone if something like this happened at semi pro or amateur level, so with that in mind, the moral outrage is hilarious.

The lad is 17, technically not an adult but more than old enough to know this was an idiotic thing to do, and certainly old enough to deal with the consequences. He barely even touched him for **** sake, and there was certainly no intent to harm him.

Anyone getting in a twist about something as harmless ad this needs a good dose of cop the **** on as well as a firm boot to the ribs.

And risk injury to himself? What if he'd bent down and the lad took a swing at him? What if he pulled a muscle in his back? What he did was the best way of getting the kid off the ball with lowest risk of injury.[/QU

I understand you want to back up your arguement,but for Christ sake,that is just rediculous.

If the lad takes a swing at him,he gets the lad removed from the pitch.He is the professional and he should act like one-playing like muck and being frustrated doesn't give him the right to do that.

If Ashley Williams was lying on the ball,would he have done the same?-he would in my fook.

I knew that was coming. Suffice to say that I have played football to a fairly high level. But then, anybody could say that on an anonymous internet forum so it's a pointless question. Some people may react poorly to in-game situations but they are in the wrong. Matches get heated, players have rivalries during the game. If Hazard does that to a fellow pro, this is a small story.

Once you get involved with anybody on the peripheries of the game it becomes an altogether different matter. At no point in my time playing sports have I ever lost the cool so much as to even contemplate getting involved with somebody on the sideline. It's madness. Even at amateur level if you were to do what Hazard did tonight and it was spotted by the ref you'd be running the risk of getting a huge ban.
    I know you said leave it but just asking, a 17 year old streaker comes onto the pitch and takes the ball, gets a kick off a player trying to catch him, is that also in the wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

people wont be happy until all passion is removed from the game - and it becomes a non physical , non contact games , played by Gary Linekar clones only

Its not a pointless question at all, you come across as somebody who doesn't understand emotions whatsoever and are expecting players to react with 100% rationality and composure at all times. Hazard certainly didn't seem to be thinking 'lets kick the little ****'. Hes clearly thinking ' I need the ball back as quick as possible, I'm a footballer, ball on floor, me kick.' Its not malicious, it looks slightly bad (depending on your levels of PC ridiculousness) and deserving of a red card? Probably at proffesional level, given the media coverage and example they're supposed to be setting. At amateur level? laughable.

I know you said leave it but just asking, a 17 year old streaker comes onto the pitch and takes the ball, gets a kick off a player trying to catch him, is that also in the wrong?

If it is a case that the ref would have to send the player off, which I am sure has happened before, then yes, it is absolutely in the wrong. It's not a heated situation. The ref will sort out added time. Why get yourself sent off when your team are chasing a match to get you to a final? It is so incredibly stupid.

I'd say you've never lost your cool, ever.

Its shocking Joe.

I have lost my cool on many occassions and whilst playing sport but have I ever took my anger out on a 17 year old no, have I ever took my anger out on anyone who was not on the playing field no there is a huge difference between two players having handbags on the pitch and a player tussling with a ball boy.

Well that's the thing Captain Misquote, I never said he was right. I said I understand why he did it.

Two different things altogether so try separate them.

My point is that most of those singing from the moral high ground on this one would have done the exact same thing.

:pac::pac: Captain Misquote Im sorry but you said you would have done the "exact" same thing as Hazard in saying that you are condoning what he done.

And risk injury to himself? What if he'd bent down and the lad took a swing at him? What if he pulled a muscle in his back? What he did was the best way of getting the kid off the ball with lowest risk of injury.[/QU

I understand you want to back up your arguement,but for Christ sake,that is just rediculous.

If the lad takes a swing at him,he gets the lad removed from the pitch.He is the professional and he should act like one-playing like muck and being frustrated doesn't give him the right to do that.

If Ashley Williams was lying on the ball,would he have done the same?-he would in my fook.
    If Ashley Williams was lying on the ball off the pitch he'd be booked. And a tool. On the pitch then yes Hazard would try kick the ball from under him.
    Its not a pointless question at all, you come across as somebody who doesn't understand emotions whatsoever and are expecting players to react with 100% rationality and composure at all times. Hazard certainly didn't seem to be thinking 'lets kick the little ****'. Hes clearly thinking ' I need the ball back as quick as possible, I'm a footballer, ball on floor, me kick.' Its not malicious, it looks slightly bad (depending on your levels of PC ridiculousness) and deserving of a red card? Probably at proffesional level, given the media coverage and example they're supposed to be setting. At amateur level? laughable.

+1

I think, as usual, Michael Laudrup summed it up perfectly. He's made some impression this year, on me anyway, he's just sh1t cool and doesn't ever talk sh1te. He just said look ball boy should have gave it back to him, Hazard heart rate up, no malice intended and he might regret it when he sees it played back.

Your argument is muddled. If you don't believe that Hazard intended to hurt the kid, why are you wittering on about losing your cool in a match?

Also, surely it would suggest that I have a better hold on my emotions that I don't feel the need to do do stupid **** during a match and get myself sent off. Anyway, enough with the pseudo-psychoanalysis, it's bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I'd say the opposite tho...he'll be a legend in school tomorrow. Trolled a multi-millionaire footballer, got him sent off, helped his local team make the cup final, all on national TV...he'll be living it up

I'm only 31 so I don't want this to sound like a "back in my day" merchant, but (back in my day) when I was in school if you were caught on tv looking that hurt after a tap like that then the abuse would have been horrendous. Who cares about the game if you are a pathetic wuss?

:pac::pac: Captain Misquote Im sorry but you said you would have done the "exact" same thing as Hazard in saying that you are condoning what he done.

Incorrect because my actions would be wrong too if I did it (still understandable of course IMO).

I never said it was right, which is what you attributed to me.

Incorrect because my actions would be wrong too if I did it (still understandable of course IMO).

I never said it was right, which is what you attributed to me.

:pac: this could go on all night really so ill stop, Ill leave at that I personally wouldn't have done it I understand tempers flair up when playing but we all know theres a line you dont cross and Hazard crossed it, its like in life theres time your temper will flare up and you may want to lash out but you know better and walk away when you do cross the line saying I lost my temper dont cut it in court or with people a football pitch has line to you dont cross. The ball boy is a fool but Hazard was a bigger fool for letting himself get dragged into it and leaving Chelsea with ten men on the pitch. Hazard deserved his red and a few game ban along with a fine nothing more nothing less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

Later, Charlie Morgan assured his friends and 70,000 Twitter followers that he was feeling much better.
    BBU--GXCYAAWYoH.jpg:large

• Advertisement

If Ashley Williams was lying on the ball off the pitch he'd be booked. And a tool. On the pitch then yes Hazard would try kick the ball from under him.

He may have been booked and looked like a tool but i'm sure he'd have accepted all of the above with 10 mins left in a cup semi-final if it wasted a few more seconds.

If Hazard attempts the same thing on the pitch with Williams,it's the same result-red card.

I don't care what age the lad is or whether it was a ballboy or a player he tried to get the ball from.

My point is that you cannot come in here and defend Hazard simply because he was pumped up.He should have used that adrenaline to influence the game in a positive way instead of leaving his team in the ****ter in a big game they were struggling to get back into as it was with 11 men.

I will add,i don't think he comes across as the malicious type.I don't think his intent was to harm the lad.After tonight it looks like stupidity is his worst trait-just like a lot more footballers i guess.

What he tweeted before the game lol:
    @CHARLIEM0RGAN
    The king of all ball boys is back making his final appearance #needed #for #timewasting

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Morzadec wrote: »
    Feel a bit sorry for what will probably happen to Hazard here. He was stupid and he shouldn't have done it but I can understand his frustration.

It looked like a moment of frustration that boiled over, but he's only human and who hasn't let their anger get the better of them on occasion? I can imagine being seriously wound up in that situation.

This point has been made a few times but one of the reasons these guys are paid massive money is to keep their cool in frustrating and high pressure situations.

He was an absolute moron doing what he did. Not the same as cantona no but it was still a retarded thing to do.

Also when footballers let their anger get the better of them (bad tackles, abusing officials etc) it results in a ban so why should this be any different?

The ballboy was being a twat yes(and over reacting after was maybe worse) but his foot should have been no where near him. 4/5 game ban for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

What he tweeted before the game lol:

To be fair he apologised to hazard (after the game) for acting the arsehole so I actually gained a little respect for him. Others may have become all precious and only accepted a one way apology.

MUSEIST wrote: »
    To be fair he apologised to hazard (after the game) for acting the arsehole so I actually gained a little respect for him. Others may have become all precious and only accepted a one way apology.

Thats cool, he knew he was in the wrong also....seems like they've kissed and made up. Again i think people were making mountains out of mole hills. The kid wasn't close to being hurt.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21174252
    "He's been into the Chelsea dressing room and shook hands with Hazard. John Terry and Frank Lampard were exemplary in welcoming him into the Chelsea dressing room."
    Blues boss Rafael Benitez said both player and ball boy apologised to each other after the match at Liberty Stadium.

He added: "They both recognise there was a mistake.
    "The boy was apologising for time wasting. Hazard was frustrated and tried to get the ball. He was kicking the ball and getting the ball.
    "We can analyse if for half an hour but we know that both are wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Haha i find the whole thing hilarious getting even better, His father is a dircetor at Swansea and apparently the Chelsea team are staying in his hotel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

All I can add is thank fück it didn't happen in front of the Swansea fans or their could have been a whole lot more to talk about. He'd have been lynched.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

I feel bad for Hazard, he barely touched the fat kid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Despite what Hazard will say about kicking the ball, it is obvious he kicked the kid to cause him to let go in a reflex action. An automatic 3 game ban is insufficient as he kicked a ball boy on purpose. Foolish but he can't get off lightly.

The multi-ball system of Spanish football needs to be looked at with teams getting fined for not employing it adequately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

I can't believe people took the side of Hazard. What if it was Suarez or Joey Barton?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement