Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Immigration

Options
  • 23-01-2013 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Help needed please.

Travelling to Fort Lauderdale via Amsterdam (Aer lingus), Atlanta (KLM), Fort lauderdale (Delta). Tickets booked via Delta. I have a 90 minute stopover in Atlanta before going on to Fort lauderdale. Where do I clear US Immigration? Amsterdam or Atlanta? If in Atlanta will the 90 minutes be enough?

Do I check my bags in all the way at Dublin?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

In Atlanta.

90 minutes is tough, but if they're selling it, they're obviously confident it can be done. Bags will have to picked up in Atlanta and carried through Customs, where there will be a drop off point just after.

The good points are that because it's all on one ticket, if you are delayed, the airline will look out for you. Second, Atlanta is Delta's home hub. There shouldn't be too much trouble to get you to your destination asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

OP, 90 mins should be plenty, even though you'll have to go thru Immigration and reclaim your bags. I used to live in Atlanta. The airport runs like a well oiled machine, far, far than better than most other airports in the US do imo. Provided there are no delays with the inbound flight arriving on time, you should be ok.

That being said, try to get a seat on the plane that is as near to the front of the plane, and try to be one of the first off the plane. It can't hurt to be be the first in the queue for Immigration, which is probably going to be the cause of your biggest delay. The baggage reclaim and drop off procedure is very, very well streamlined. You will have to take the train from the International terminal to what ever terminal your flight to FL leaves from, but it doesn't take long and the trains run every 2 mins or so. You'll be fine, just don't dilly dally along the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Where do I clear US Immigration? Amsterdam or Atlanta?

OP for the record/future travel, Ireland is the only place in Europe where you can pre-clear US immigration and customs. Canada and Jamaica have something similar but we are pretty unique in having the set up we do as regards having a US border point on Irish soil.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

Atlanta is a big airport but runs effeciently.....as other posters have said, you'll have to go through immigration and collect your bags, walk through customs and drop it off again.....but because Atlanta is a delta airport, your baggage will be prioritized over other airline flights arriving at the same time.

90 minutes should be fine......last time I flew through Atlanta, i was there for 8 hours, but cleared immigration and customs in about a half hour, the underground tram means you can get to the different terminals in a matter of minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

You're travelling with one carrier so they'll make sure you get where you're going. Once you're in the US there will be multiple alternatives to get from Atlanta to Ft.L so even if you did get delayed (and you probably wont) the airline would move you to the next flight. They will take care of you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 PC - Dublin

Thank you all for your tips and replies. Hope everything goes well. I'll let you know afterwards about the 90 minutes.

Thank you again.

PC

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

athtrasna wrote: »
    OP for the record/future travel, Ireland is the only place in Europe where you can pre-clear US immigration and customs. Canada and Jamaica have something similar but we are pretty unique in having the set up we do as regards having a US border point on Irish soil.

the countries that have pre-clearance are some airports in Bermuda, The Bahamas, Aruba , most airports in Canada, Shannon and Dublin Airports.

Jamaica (as yet) is not one of these although there are ongoing talks to introduce it there.

Advertisement