Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a bond back?

Options
  • 24-01-2013 12:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

Hi,

Not sure if anyone has any info on this. I paid a bond on a new house that I was planning to move to in February but now my situation has changed and I no longer want to move to the new place. Is there any way I can get my bond back or does the agent have a right to keep it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Did you pay a full bond or just a holding deposit?.

Did you sign a lease agreement?

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Princess_N

I paid the full bond. I signed copies of the lease and faxed them to the agent but I'm not sure if she received them.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

You normally pay a deposit to secure the place (1 weeks rent), then pay the bond (4 weeks), and sign the lease when you are moving in. Holding deposit comes off the rent.

If you've signed the lease already, then by not taking the place, you are breaking the lease, so I imagine they are in their rights to keep the bond.

I'd contact Fair trading or Tenants Advice and Advocacy Services quickly and see what your options are.

Advertisement