Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employee talking back to me...

Options
  • 24-01-2013 12:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

The other day I asked an employee to carry out a task to which he replied "It's always something with you!" He told me that everyday I had a new complaint and that there were better ways to be a good manager.

I was really shocked because a) I ASKED him to do part of his job and b) it was really bold of him to talk to me that way.

I actually want to write him up for it or at least give him a verbal warning. We were interuppted by a customer so the conversation ended there.

The last manager was a slacker and now everyone is really put off by having to actually work.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

RyeBread wrote: »
    I actually want to write him up for it or at least give him a verbal warning. We were interuppted by a customer so the conversation ended there.

You need to nip that in the bud BUT if you decide to go down the formal disciplinary route, which a verbal or written warning is, you'd want to make sure you do it right. Have you got a handbook on how this is done in your place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

The joys of retail management. A verbal warning would require you to do an investigation then had the file over and a disciplinary hearing to happen. Record the incident and get some advice from your HR dept or a more senior manager.

Tread carefully - I find in these situations it's at least as possible you're lacking the soft skills needed as it is the guy you're talking to is a lazy malcontent so and so.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Be aware of age factors, too. Youngsters these days are taught back-chat as part of building up their self-esteem.

You do need to teach him that when you say "jump", and "jump" is a legitimate instruction, then the only acceptable answer is "how high?".

But some people need more subtle teaching than others.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I think before you start disciplinary procedures, you should let him know informally that this sort of behaviour won't be tolerated in the workplace, and that if it happens again you will take it further.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

If you haven't already got it then you need HR to introduce a respect and diversity policy at work. That sets out the ground rules whcihc then can be followed up by the disciplinary process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

i have to laugh at these so called managers and their "people skills"
    if you cant sort something as simple as this out and have to resort to an internet forum to gain advice,
    perhaps you should consider your own position and how the hell you ended up there!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

hawkwind23 wrote: »
    i have to laugh at these so called managers and their "people skills"
    if you cant sort something as simple as this out and have to resort to an internet forum to gain advice,
    perhaps you should consider your own position and how the hell you ended up there!

Please drop the attitude, that's not helpful to the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

OP coming from a background in retail management this is sadly one of the pains that comes with the job.

Going the formal warning route is a total pain in the backside so I wouldn't advise that just yet.

Your best bet would be to take the employee aside and calmly but assertively tell them that that is not on and that if it continues, you'll be forced to go the formal disciplinary route.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If you haven't already got it then you need HR to introduce a respect and diversity policy at work. That sets out the ground rules whcihc then can be followed up by the disciplinary process.

You do not need any sort of "policy" to establish that employees must carry out lawful instructions from managers!

Advertisement