Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mange treated.what now?

• 24-01-2013 1:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭

So we rescued a dog at the weekend.noticed her coat wasnt great but it didnt seem bad.yesterday morning we noticed she was tearing herself apart and there was blood in her runny faeces.1st we gave her a dose of parazole and then got her to a vets last night.she treated the dog with an antibiotic injection and gave us a week worth of novaclav.the vet said she taught it was mage, but not the scabies kind.she seems in better form.faeces are blood free and a bit solid, and all in all she seems a lot better in herself.
    But what now?shes a bit smelly and im not sure what to wash her with.something that wont be irritating for her.ive tried looking online and the most common ive seen is a spray application of 1/3 luke warm water, 1/3 baby oil and 1/3 original listerine.
    Anyone else have experience or know what would be best?
    Shes an 8 month old eng bull terrier if that helps any
    Cheers in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Listerine, the mouth wash? If it is then I would imagine it would sting horribly and wouldn't be at all good for her. I would worry baby oil would prevent the skin from breathing ( could be wrong)

You say she doesn't think it's the scabies type of mange? Did she say what type she thinks it is? This might help http://www.dogguide.net/mange.php

Can you describe the smell?

I would recommend getting a bottle of malosep shampoo from the vet. Did she recommend anything for her?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭djflawless

Cant use links on this phone but i think she said derma something.apologies for thickness here.the smell is just dirty indoor dog if that makes any sense to you.it actually smells like boiled rice.her skin is a bit oily, vet said it was from the skin being dry, like dandruff in a human.and the oil was the dogs way of trying to heal.

Demodectic mange?

If it is that type, and it's common in bullies, then you could potentially have a long road ahead. Is she loosing hair? Is it all over her body, or just in patches?

I have a dog who had a very severe case of demodex when I got him. I assume she's still got her hair?

180207_106956049380457_1801291_n.jpg

He smelled a bit like cheese or old socks.

If it is this type of mange then a medicated dog shampoo would be a good idea, a really good diet will help her build up her immune again. Lots of sleep. Change of blankets as often as you can manage to help avoid infection in the skin.

I used a combination of malosep shampoo and Aqueous cream to wash him, every second day. But as I said that was a severe case, I don't know how bad your girly is.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Whispered wrote: »

Can you describe the smell?

I would recommend getting a bottle of malosep shampoo from the vet. Did she recommend anything for her?

+1 on the maloseb, have used it in the past a lot.

Mange smell is like dirty socks/smelly cheese?

Bingo on demodectic.she still has a lot of hair.she isnt completely bald on the patches either.just a bad thinning thats noticeable.jesus that sounds like a bad case you had alright.hopefully it wont be that bad.well we have her diet changed already, fro, what the people we rescued her thaught would be a good idea, was to feed her on a high protein diet.god knows why.but for the time being she is being fed on a complete dry food with a small bit of protein in it.her blankets are being alternated every second day with the used blankets being washed with a dilution of dettol.the hair is mostly affected on her ribs, socks, nose and base of the tail.she hasnt been scratching as much either.and between her walks, 30 min p.e session (attacking my old wellys!!) eating and drinking, all she does is sleep so rest is no probs.is that shampoo prescribed or can it be got from a vets chemist over the counter?

• Advertisement

Stheno wrote: »
    +1 on the maloseb, have used it in the past a lot.

haha I had to run upstairs to the bathroom to check the spelling.

It's malaseb.

Bottle like this OP

Malaseb-Shampoo-20111.jpg%3Fo%3DC$lhNPovbk5vAf1n04n25EbPHUIj%26V%3DNvGJ%26w%3D250%26h%3D250%26r%3D2

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

haha I had to run upstairs to the bathroom to check the spelling.

It's malaseb.

Bottle like this OP

Whoops sorry!
    djflawless wrote: »
    Bingo on demodectic.she still has a lot of hair.she isnt completely bald on the patches either.just a bad thinning thats noticeable.jesus that sounds like a bad case you had alright.hopefully it wont be that bad.well we have her diet changed already, fro, what the people we rescued her thaught would be a good idea, was to feed her on a high protein diet.god knows why.but for the time being she is being fed on a complete dry food with a small bit of protein in it.her blankets are being alternated every second day with the used blankets being washed with a dilution of dettol.the hair is mostly affected on her ribs, socks, nose and base of the tail.she hasnt been scratching as much either.and between her walks, 30 min p.e session (attacking my old wellys!!) eating and drinking, all she does is sleep so rest is no probs.is that shampoo prescribed or can it be got from a vets chemist over the counter?

I'd a dog with this once, sardines a few times a week helped diet wise, takes a bit of time and patience.

My fella was worse than whispereds, practically bald, and he'd been starved too :( Rest was crucial for him to get back to himself.

• Site Banned Posts: 71 ✭✭Zer0

as the previous poster stated is the dog loosing hair? talk with your vet, maybe you need to use a medicated shampoo. don't use listerine what ever ya do this will cause irritation on the dogs skin as this is a mouth wash, whenever I use this it stings my mouth kind of so I wouldn't like to think what it'd be like on a dogs skin.

Use trusted and sound advice from a vet because they always know best. taking a look at the diet might be an idea as a possible cause but I'm unsure, the parazole is used to treat worms, which is probably why the blood in the stool cleared up. the noraclav is used for skin infections so see out the weeks dose and see if there's any improvement.

Do call your vet and ask if it would be safe to wash the dog and see what he/she says.

It's all very good and well to seek advice from people on the internet, and I know you're only doing it for the welfare of the dog itself but please don't forget that no one knows how many people on this form actually hold some type of qualification in the field of veterinary medicine and I'm not one of those people. So if in doubt don't hesitate to see your vet but see how the dog is over the week and if there's not much improvement then get back in touch with your vet.

I hope everything works out ok in the end and you've done a great thing by rescuing the dog, well done.

Kindest regards.

It's prescription only, maybe if you ask for it your vet will recommend something else. It's what I used for Phoe anyway, but she might prescribe something else. Either way, If she thinks it's not necessary I'd go to a pet shop and get a very good quality, gentle shampoo.

Don't freak out if she starts loosing more hair. Where it's thin, it could well fall out and regrow. I nearly died when I realised that Phoe was getting balder. The woman who runs the rescue got a frantic call from me. :D She had to calm me down. haha.

It's prescription only, maybe if you ask for it your vet will recommend something else. It's what I used for Phoe anyway, but she might prescribe something else. Either way, If she thinks it's not necessary I'd go to a pet shop and get a very good quality, gentle shampoo.

Don't freak out if she starts loosing more hair. Where it's thin, it could well fall out and regrow. I nearly died when I realised that Phoe was getting balder. The woman who runs the rescue got a frantic call from me. :D She had to calm me down. haha.

Yep agree with the above, it gets worse before it get's better.

Takes a bit of time, be patient, work with your vet and you'll get there :)

• Advertisement

180516_110638119012250_4997961_n.jpg

Here he is on the mend after a month treatment, totally bald but with regrowth on his head. It can be a long road OP, but we've never had a relapse and he's put on all the weight he should have had and is in perfect health now so with help from your vet it's easily overcome, not life threatening if treated properly.

Here he is on the mend after a month treatment, totally bald but with regrowth on his head. It can be a long road OP, but we've never had a relapse and he's put on all the weight he should have had and is in perfect health now so with help from your vet it's easily overcome, not life threatening if treated properly.

Fair play for seeing that through it must have been tough :(

Stheno wrote: »
    Fair play for seeing that through it must have been tough :(

Tough on the pocket :pac:

It took a year for him to get to full health. But he was a little star from day one. Absolutely amazing little personality. He was supposed to be a foster but he's still here. We fell in love with him. :o

Well at 1st when i heard it was mange i thought ah bolix to it anyways.especially when the pound pages on facebook do talk endlessly about this dog and that dog that had to be PTS because of mange.but after reading the storys of yer pooches i now hold only the highest faith in roxy.thanks for the heads up about it maybe looking worse.i would have been frantic if i didnt know that.she has another check up on tuesday as vet said the injection kills adult mites but not eggs.but ill keep this post updated on how she comes along
    many thanks for all the help and info ye shared

Well at 1st when i heard it was mange i thought ah bolix to it anyways.especially when the pound pages on facebook do talk endlessly about this dog and that dog that had to be PTS because of mange.but after reading the storys of yer pooches i now hold only the highest faith in roxy.thanks for the heads up about it maybe looking worse.i would have been frantic if i didnt know that.she has another check up on tuesday as vet said the injection kills adult mites but not eggs.but ill keep this post updated on how she comes along
    many thanks for all the help and info ye shared

It can cost a lot to treat. Phoe was lucky with the rescue who took him out of the pound because I've heard of other rescues having dogs PTS for less severe cases. I had 100% support from the rescue to do whatever it takes to get him better, they were fantastic.

Give your vet a shout in the morning to ask about bathing her, you might be able to do it before Tuesday (the smell is hard to live with). Best of luck.

It can cost a lot to treat. Phoe was lucky with the rescue who took him out of the pound because I've heard of other rescues having dogs PTS for less severe cases. I had 100% support from the rescue to do whatever it takes to get him better, they were fantastic.

Give your vet a shout in the morning to ask about bathing her, you might be able to do it before Tuesday (the smell is hard to live with). Best of luck.

Same here, it cost a lot, and took a lot of time to get the dog fully healed.

Worth it though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Id seriously work on her immune system - demodetic mange is immune related - my dog had it years back - its when the immune system cant control the mites that naturally live on the dog so they populate out of control (basically). I certainly wouldnt have her on a low protien dry diet:eek:
    (if Ive understood correctly (have I?):o you seem to have changed her to a dry low protien diet? how come?)

Salmon oil will boost the immune system and a high quality cereal/grain free tinned food would be best. Coconut oil is another fantastic immune boosting supplement (amongst lots of other benefits) It has to be cold pressed extra virgin or its useless (supervalu sell it now - 5.99 for a big tub). Give 1 teaspoon per 15lbs bodyweight - you can put it in her food or just straight - most dogs love the taste.

I also used diluted neem oil on Oscar when he had it (he was of course on vet treatment as well) - worked well. We were lucky he started recovering after only about 5 weeks.

The reason she's on a low protein diet is because the vet told us to change her diet to something low.according to her, a hi protein diet is far from recommended with bullys.and its not grear for any dog with a skin condition.previous 'owners' as they like to think they were, had her on gain hi protein nuts.
    Noticing a change in roxys appearance this morning even.where the skin was very red, has now faded to a dull pink.i even had her climb up on me this morning and give me a cold nosed kiss!usually in the mornings she would just quick glimpse and continue sleeping

Aw glad she's feeling better already :) Do you have any pics of her?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

The reason she's on a low protein diet is because the vet told us to change her diet to something low.according to her, a hi protein diet is far from recommended with bullys.and its not grear for any dog with a skin condition.previous 'owners' as they like to think they were, had her on gain hi protein nuts.
    Noticing a change in roxys appearance this morning even.where the skin was very red, has now faded to a dull pink.i even had her climb up on me this morning and give me a cold nosed kiss!usually in the mornings she would just quick glimpse and continue sleeping

OK - (I dont agree a low protein diet is good for any dog but thats me:o - I dont think dried food is good for any dog either but that me too!) If you can try the salmon oil and coconut oil in her food - tis cheap and it really does help the immune system. Thats great that she seems to have improved a bit - I love those early morning dog kisses!!!

• Advertisement

heres her nosey highness!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

heres her nosey highness!!

Awwww she's gorgeous!! FairPlay op. she looks like she's doing well.

She looks very sweet :)

Ah look at her! She's fab.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

There is a sale on until the end of the month on Healthy Hounds scottish salmon oil, I think their webpage is down at the moment, but they can be found on FB. Excellent stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

ISDW wrote: »
    There is a sale on until the end of the month on Healthy Hounds scottish salmon oil, I think their webpage is down at the moment, but they can be found on FB. Excellent stuff.

I ordered yesterday, got a message today saying it's on it's way and should be with me tomorrow, great service and great prices.

https://www.facebook.com/HealthyHoundsSalmonOil?fref=ts

I think i might have salmon oil sorted.not sure till morning.cheers for that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

I ordered yesterday, got a message today saying it's on it's way and should be with me tomorrow, great service and great prices.

https://www.facebook.com/HealthyHoundsSalmonOil?fref=ts

Lara that runs the company is lovely, and the fact that its an Irish company is always good :)

update on roxy
    her second vet visit was last night.another injection to kill off any mites that were only eggs first time around.1 more next week and she should have the all clear.vet is happy with her and had a great laugh at roxy barking at her reflection in a window :D

she has totally come out of her shell now and her happiness has increased tenfold.

hair is slowly starting to grow in spots.on her nose mostly.so all going well, 4-5 weeks and she should be 100% healthy :)

also have her on a new diet which gives her a bit of wind, so we are going to start introducing her to a new diet again

happy days :D:D:D

• Advertisement

Aww she looks very happy :)

Advertisement