Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to figure out what may be causing nas issues.

Options
  • 24-01-2013 2:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I have a fairly simple nas setup where my device has usb ports for disks to be connected - not that good for multi-users but it does the trick for me.

The nas box I use is the same as this but mine isn't the wireless version.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Iomega-iConnect-Wireless-Data-Station/dp/B00358V5IK/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1358992321&sr=1-1

My version is connected to the network via cat5 into the router.

I'm trying to download a linux torrent to the nas from my laptop, but I constantly get the network device cannot be found after a few mins; it's like the network drive has become unavailable. A restart within the torrent application will continue from the percentage downloaded albeit, only for another few minutes.

The thing that is baffling me is: If I want to move large files from disk to disk through windows (be that between usb connected devices to the nas or to my local laptop disk from the nas) it is fine. These downloads, or movement of data could take anything up to a few hours.

I'm using utorrent - perhaps there are too many concurrent connections with the torrents?

Comments

What router do you have? Have you ever experienced network outages before? It's possible if your router is old it cant handle large traffic volumes, does it download ok directly to your laptop/pc?

Also reading reviews I think it's just a bad NAS drive, others have similar problems so if you're able to download directly to your laptop fine it's just a slow drive.... Can it stream HD video ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭whizbang

Just came across something like this, My NAS started doing the same thing, but then it would power off. even with power switch full on.
    I didnt do anything much as i dont really use it all that often.

My old linksys WAG, Internet was dropping out intermittantly, Bad caps on the board. so i replaced it, and lo and behold NAS is back up running perfectly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭euser1984

Mine seems to be up and running fine now again - utorrent was overloading the disk! It's fine now again after going in and changing some cache settings.

Advertisement