Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'aul racism now, is it?

Options
  • 24-01-2013 9:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭

Senator nobody says he'd rather not take a non national home after a few pints. This racism or common sense? Should we support our own in a time of crisis?

Meself, I don't like taxis full stop. I'd rather not drink than deal with them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

He's a fool. My best nights have involved taking a non-national home after a few pints...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

After the first sentence I thought he was talking about getting a shag.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

What about Rihanna like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

Yup thats racism alright, I notice he issued a half hearted apology later.
    And this is the man the Mickey "clean hands" Martin has leading FF in the Seanad, looks like FF policy on non Irish Nationals hasn't changed since they referred to the Turkish workers being ripped off here as "kebabs".

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭dr strangelove

Yeah, because just saying "well, i'm not being a racist, but..." automatically negates any racistness bulls1te he's about to come out with.
    Muppet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,971 ✭✭✭Soups123

Sentences that start with 'I'm not a racist' always are

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

What's an obvious non national?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,971 ✭✭✭Soups123

lazygal wrote: »
    Someone who doesn't have firey red hair, covered in freckles and about 2 foot tall

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭working fool

Keno 92 wrote: »
    What about Rihanna like?
    What if she walked into door while she opened it for ya ?

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Rockn

An OBVIOUS non-national. Nothing to do the colour of skin or anything. Just using his built-in non-national radar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

Typical thicko policitian.

Would rather be branded a racist than actual do something useful like introducing something akin to The Knowledge that London cabbies must have before being granted a taxi licence.

Still at least he has the cop on to get a taxi after a few pints than drink drive like some of his compadres in Leinster House.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

To be fair to him it's a 30 second clip which gives no context, but he did say "obvious non national", followed by "nothing to do with the colour of their skin".

Now that token has posted, this thread can't be classified as racist...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

Maybe do something about taxi drivers not knowing where they are going rather than complaining about it?

Oh wait he's a senator

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

smash wrote: »
    Now that token has posted, this thread can't be classified as racist...

Why not?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

What did the eejit want to say that for?
    I see it myself at work, with the elderly and older people, when something like this is mentioned.

'That senator/ TD is right, you know, I'd be the same'.

It normalises it for some people. Horrible comment and no further context makes it ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

scumbag.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭stmol32

lazygal wrote: »

At first I thought he must mean black people but it can't be that because afterwards he said it's NOT to do with the colour of their skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

stmol32 wrote: »
    At first I thought he must mean black people but it can't be that because afterwards he said it's NOT to do with the colour of their skin.

oh yeah and he was genuine with the colour of the skin comment.

''I have no problem with blacks, but i don't like them''

his apology is pathetic. Contradicts what he said in black and white.

ff racist scumbag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

The fact that he's a septuagenarian doesn't excuse his racist twaddle.

Sorry, confused him with Fergal Quinn.
    Paschal Mooney is only 65, still old enough to know better!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Can we close up the Seanad already, it's nothing more than a bargaining chip to give comfortable pensions to failed politicans, and in this clip we see why they failed. Waste of good money that could be paying for education or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,872 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

So I assume he'll be kicked out of whatever political party he is in..... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I think I'll apply for a British passport andhang it from my mirror so I can avoid customers like theSenator. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

stmol32 wrote: »

He must therefore be reffering to all those feckin Norwegian taxi drivers. You know the ones with the flags and the viking hats that take you to Corofin instead of Coolock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

D1stant wrote: »
    .......... take you to Corofin instead of Coolock

They just do that to show off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

squod wrote: »
    Senator nobody says he'd rather not take a non national home after a few pints. This racism or common sense? Should we support our own in a time of crisis?

Meself, I don't like taxis full stop. I'd rather not drink than deal with them.
    I can see his point. If i was out for the night and had to get a cab home i would make sure it's an Irish driver that gets my custom and my money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Show Time wrote: »
    I can see his point. If i was out for the night and had to get a cab home i would make sure it's an Irish driver that gets my custom and my money.

They're all going to overcharge you for the distance you're going, what the shit does it matter what nationality you think they are?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Show Time wrote: »

So you're a racist?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

mike65 wrote: »
    So you're a racist?

Am i a racist because i will not shop in Tesco because they are English owned?

Am i a racist because i look for the guaranteed Irish mark on goods before i buy them??

Is that what we call supporting our own Ireland style 2013 now???

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement