Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'aul racism now, is it?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

juan.kerr wrote: »
    Is there such a thing?

Paul McGrath
    Chris Hughton
    Samantha Mumba

In fact there are thousands!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

Show Time wrote: »
    Get ready to be labeled a racist on here by the high horse set.

LOL. you are right there.

Im not too bothered. Im fairly quite accepting in most occasions .
    But not blind to whats happening around me either

But its kind of obvious when ye look into a car and see nothing but teeth and eyes followed by a deep African voice like in one of those programs about some war in africa, that this guy was not born and rared in Ballymun. :)

Another reason I guess is the Irish taxi men who where at it all their lives are doing badly because of it. I know its a government problem and taxi's where hard to get before, but its ridiculous now . I am getting into traffic jams at 2.00am in the morning caused by empty taxis .

Im just saying what most people are thinking. But worry about what the high horse set will say about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

brokenarms wrote: »

But its kind of obvious when ye look into a car and see nothing but teeth and eyes followed by a deep African voice like in one of those programs about some war in africa, that this guy was not born and rared in Ballymun. :)

Another reason I guess is the Irish taxi men who where at it all their lives are doing badly because of it. I know its a government problem and taxi's where hard to get before, but its ridiculous now . I am getting into traffic jams at 2.00am in the morning caused by empty taxis .

Im just saying what most people are thinking. But worry about what the high horse set will say about them.
    The teeth and eyes comment reminds me of a story my uncle told me about serving with the Irish army in the Congo and guard duty at night.
    The jist of it was sentries would only encounter the rebels at night and all you would see of them was the smiling white teeth before a blade would try and gut you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭The Road Runner

Hehe lovin the twain quotes

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect - Mark Twain

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭AEDIC

So what you are saying then is Black taxi drivers and not just non nationals? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

mikemac1 wrote: »
    No she didn't have to resign.
    She ran for leadership of the party a few years back after Gordon Brown stepped down.

Sorry my bad :o

Dear God :eek:
    she'd give that guy in the OP a run for his money
    In 1988 Abbott claimed, at a black studies conference in Philadelphia, that "the British invented racism."[38][39][40]

In 1996, Abbott attracted widespread criticism when she claimed that at her local hospital "blonde, blue-eyed Finnish girls" were unsuitable as nurses because they had "never met a black person before".[41] The secretary of the all-party Finland group of MPs, Conservative Ian Bruce responded by accusing her of using racial stereotypes, adding: "All Scandinavian countries have people from African and Caribbean countries living there. It shows ignorance to make such remarks."[42]

Abbott referred to David Cameron and Nick Clegg as "two posh white boys from the Home Counties" in May 2010.[43]

On 4 January 2012, Abbott tweeted that: "White people love playing 'divide and rule' We should not play their game", which again led to widespread criticism including accusations of racism.[44] Only after being told by the Labour Party leadership that the comment was unacceptable did she apologise for "any offence caused", claiming that she had not intended to "make generalisations about white people".[45][46] The Deputy Prime Minister called her comments a "stupid and crass generalisation". Nadhim Zahawi, Conservative MP, said: "This is racism. If this was a white member of Parliament saying that all black people want to do bad things to us he would have resigned within the hour or been sacked."[47] Members of the public lodged complaints but the Metropolitan Police stated that no investigation would be launched and no charges would be brought against her, saying she "did not commit a criminal offence".[48][49]

In January 2012 Abbott suggested that taxi drivers discriminate on racial grounds tweeting that she was “Dubious of [sic] black people claiming they’ve never experienced racism. Ever tried hailing a taxi I always wonder?”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭0066ad

Hehe lovin the twain quotes

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect - Mark Twain

I don't think a few people on an internet forum represent the majority of
    of the public, just look at the turn up to the anti-abortion vigil compared to
    the pro-choice turn out ;)

0066ad wrote: »

Thats true nearly 5,000,000 people chose to ignore the anti choice anti woman vigil.
    The majority refused to turn out in support of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

Paul McGrath
    Chris Hughton
    Samantha Mumba

In fact there are thousands!
    to be pedantic,I would say that the 3 you mentioned were mixed race, but anyway;)

t'was just a quote. a thought on life. wasn't posting to start a discussion on it.

• Advertisement

ACME

:D hey pal. aren't we sworn enemies?

*beep beep*

Or the way boards vote compared to the real vote on the last election.

Or generally everything . It does not really follow a true public reflection on trends as far as I see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

"programs about war in Africa"
    Are you referring to the Arab Spring?
    Do you mean a 'deep' African voice like that of Gaddafi or Mubarak?
    Or is the 'deep' bit just another attempt at stereotyping?

"I'm just saying what most people are thinking"
    No you're not, what you're indulging in is wishful thinking.
    I believe that the vast majority of Irish people abhor racism, and would see your post for what it is: a crass attempt at getting a cheap laugh.
    The teeth and eyes comment reminds me of a story my uncle told me about serving with the Irish army in the Congo and guard duty at night.
    The jist of it was sentries would only encounter the rebels at night and all you would see of them was the smiling white teeth before a blade would try and gut you.

The above reads like something from a BNP pamphlet.
    "smiling white teeth"
    Do 'teeth' smile?
    Are you a racist?
    No to both questions, I hope.

Novelist and playwright James Baldwin:

"Whoever debases others is debasing himself"

9959 wrote: »
    The above reads like something from a BNP pamphlet.
    "smiling white teeth"
    Do 'teeth' smile?
    Are you a racist?
    No to both questions, I hope.

Novelist and playwright James Baldwin:

"Whoever debases others is debasing himself"
    What i posted was a story from a man who has served his country in some god awful backwards country where the locals would stick a knife in your back while smiling to your face.

Come on down from that ivory tower some time before you try and judge a man who was expected to lay down his life in a land far from home.

"programs about war in Africa"
    Are you referring to the Arab Spring?
    Do you mean a 'deep' African voice like that of Gaddafi or Mubarak?
    Or is the 'deep' bit just another attempt at stereotyping?

No.
    I referring to the sound I hear. Go out and hear it yourself. Its everywhere if you listen. I think you might be ignoring the plainly obvious in an attempt to mount the PC high horse there Ted.
    "I'm just saying what most people are thinking"
    No you're not, what you're indulging in is wishful thinking.
    I believe that the vast majority of Irish people abhor racism, and would see your post for what it is: a crass attempt at getting a cheap laugh.

No. Its fairly accurate as I see it.
    And within the people I work and play with. But it may have been also attempt at a cheap laugh. People are taking this subject a bit too serious .
    Different cultures and now here, and are different than us in lots of ways. This happens everywhere in the world . And I have lived in a few countries now, and in my travels I see Ireland is fairly accepting, considering 15 years ago , it was just us here.
    But if you expect the utopia of a 100% diverseness in our community then you need to awaken to the real world.
    No country on earth is 100% accepting to others cultures. Its fairly normal everywhere, globally.

What i posted was a story from a man who has served his country in some god awful backwards country where the locals would stick a knife in your back while smiling to your face.

Come on down from that ivory tower some time before you try and judge a man who was expected to lay down his life in a land far from home.

Wrong , he served the UN in one the most disasterous missions they ever mounted and in which the Irish paid a high price.
    Though since you made up the cheap racist jibe to start with , I suppose it hardly matters.

Wrong , he served the Un in one the most disasterous missions they ever mounted and in which the Irish paid a high price.
    Though since you made up the cheap racist jibe to start with , I suppose it hardly matters.
    I have no doubt he is still a better man than you could ever hope to be as i get the feeling in times of trouble you would be the type of bloke who would be happy to receive the old white feather and be a happy old coward.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

That was you being judged, not your uncle.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

:D hey pal. aren't we sworn enemies?

*beep beep*

I hate to point it out but Wile E. Coyote is Carnivorous vulgaris - it is The Road Runner that is Accelerati incredibilus.

As a massive Chuck Jones fan as a kid, I get a huge kick out of having both coyotes and road runners wandering around my back yard.

MadsL wrote: »
    I hate to point it out but Wile E. Coyote is Carnivorous vulgaris - it is The Road Runner that is Accelerati incredibilus.

As a massive Chuck Jones fan as a kid, I get a huge kick out of having both coyotes and road runners wandering around my back yard.

Lol. ACME messed up again

*beep beep*

• Advertisement

MadsL wrote: »

I promised myself I would change my name if anybody copped , thank you MadsL, you win a cookie and I get to change my name!:)

I promised myself I would change my name if anybody copped , thank you MadsL, you win a cookie and I get to change my name!:)

haha bet you won't. you never caught me so you stole my name
    WileyCoyote (Carnivorous vulgaris). I'll believe it when i see it :pac:

haha bet you won't. you never caught me so you stole my name
    WileyCoyote (Carnivorous vulgaris). I'll believe it when i see it :pac:

I have already put the request in,I'm a subscriber and one of the benifits is I get to change my name as often as I want.:D
    I cant believe it took two weeks for anyone to bloody cop it though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Shane.Rowan

EMTFlynn wrote: »
    What about the Irish going to Australia and Canada looking for work :rolleyes:

I wonder how the Australians and Canadians feel seeing all the paddy's coming over taking their jobs!

I dont think they would notice tbh Australia is full of so many different nationalities that another accent doesnt really register most australians just assume you are a resident anyway they dont understand work visas

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

You certainly are not saying what most people are thinking. Your stereotyping is straight out of the 30s.

Nothing but teeth and eyes? Nothing but bull****, more like.

I have no doubt he is still a better man than you could ever hope to be as i get the feeling in times of trouble you would be the type of bloke who would be happy to receive the old white feather and be a happy old coward.

There's nothing cowardly about standing up to racism. You'd do well to learn that, sharpish.

eisseb wrote: »
    Old Hippy. Cop on and lose the belligerent attitude please

Is this your word of the week, or something? Have you something to say on the actual topic?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 48 eisseb

old hippy wrote: »
    You certainly are not saying what most people are thinking. Your stereotyping is straight out of the 30s.

Nothing but teeth and eyes? Nothing but bull****, more like.

Indeed he is correctly saying what everyone is thinking. Wake up to reality

Everyone is thinking "nothing but teeth and eyes". Is that what you see when you see a black person, eisseb? Is that your reality?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

Sorry, but no he's not. I have no more gotten into a taxi with an African driver and thought "Look at all dem teeth and eyes" than I have gotten into a taxi with an Irish driver and thought "Jaysis, the smell of Woodbines and píss off them".

Perhaps he is speaking for people who think in 1930s cartoon stereotypes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement