Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'aul racism now, is it?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Show Time wrote: »
    Am i a racist because i will not shop in Tesco because they are English owned?

Am i a racist because i look for the guaranteed Irish mark on goods before i buy them??

Is that what we call supporting our own Ireland style 2013 now???
    But the non Irish taxi drivers are living and working here and paying for Irish goods and services. :confused:
    Tesco here is employing Irish people and buying Irish produce.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

Madam_X wrote: »
    But the non Irish taxi drivers are living and working here and paying for Irish goods and services. :confused:
    Most of the money the drivers make is wired out of the country and anyone thinking otherwise is living in a dream world. If you like some English horse burgers then Tesco is the place to go but i would just as soon spend my money in with a company like Dunnes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Madam_X wrote: »

People who try to justify their desire to only pick a white taxi driver with this "supporting our own" excuse inevitably haven't thought about it too hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

Am i a racist because i look for the guaranteed Irish mark on goods before i buy them??

If you're decision on what taxi to take is based soley on your percieved nationality of the driver then you are, in my opinion, acting in a racist manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Most of the money the drivers make is wired out of the country and anyone thinking otherwise is living in a dream world. If you like some English horse burgers then Tesco is the place to go but i would just as soon spend my money in with a company like Dunnes.

Where do you buy your clothes, books, music etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

non-nationals are not global corporations, some of them are even citizens and providing they are here legally they are contributing to the economdy and taxes in the same way an irish born citizen does.

so what you're doing is, you're boycotting their business on the grounds that you don't agree that they should be here in the first place. You think as people born in foreign states, that they should be seen as second class.

Yes you are a racist. A horrible one at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Would you get in a car with a black Irishman?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Most of the money the drivers make is wired out of the country and anyone thinking otherwise is living in a dream world.

Yeah. It's handy how foreigners in Ireland never have to pay rent, or buy food or clothes or spend money on entertainment or anything like that.

Newsflash, Dunnes were also selling them!
    They have also done a huge deal with ENGLISH supermarket chain Waitrose and are now seeling Waitrose products in their stores.
    You really neeed to check your facts out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

made such a fool out of yourself.

• Advertisement

If you're decision on what taxi to take is based soley on your percieved nationality of the driver then you are, in my opinion, acting in a racist manner.
    Best of luck with and you are entitled to your opinion on me.

Also try not destroy the English language as the big words you are looking for are perceived and solely.

I like the way the senator stated that he wasn't making his decision based on the colour of a driver's skin and then made it very clear that he was basing the decision on the colour of a driver's skin.

That's the essence of comedy right there and I think this lad has a future in the comedy world of the future. Unfortunately for him he's a senator, not a comedy man so he's f*cked.

Leftist wrote: »
    made such a fool out of yourself.
    Sad state of affairs when supporting Irish born people is considered racists.

Some of the posters on here would do well to get off that old high horse every once in a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

PC Brigade gone mad. Again.

Best of luck with and you are entitled to your opinion on me.

Also try not destroy the English language as the big words you are looking for are perceived and solely.
    Apologies to all those offended by my misspelling perceived and solely. I can only hope that none of you suffered irrepairable damage. My shame knows no bounds.:o:o:o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Sounds more xenophobic than racist to me.

Some of the posters on here would do well to get off that old high horse every once in a while.[/QUOTE]
    At least we don't care about the colour of the horse, it doesn't have to be a white charger!

juan.kerr wrote: »
    It keeps them busy.

These fictional creatures do go mad so very often... it must be a curse for those afflicted by whatever sickness that blames their own failings on these make believe people.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

When I was a kid I was taught that it was worse to be labelled a racist than it was to be labelled as a liberal.

• Advertisement

Some of the posters on here would do well to get off that old high horse every once in a while.[/QUOTE]
    At least we don't care about the colour of the horse, it doesn't have to be a white charger!
    Nothing wrong with an ould pieball horse at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

How about a Dodge Charger like the General Lee, with Confederate flag and all?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

If it is racist, and maybe it is, it certainly is on the lower scale of some of the things I have seen and heard. If people are confident in calling mr. show time racist, I think it belittles the white power leaflets and sentiments here in Sweden, thats racist, I just feel that there is a little bit of "boy who cried wolf" about the word today.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭AEDIC

Some of the posters on here would do well to get off that old high horse every once in a while.

How can you tell if a black taxi driver is not Irish born when you are deciding if you are going to get into his taxi or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Rippy

I'm a member of the biggest ethnic minority here. Many here don't like my country of origin for historical reasons . I admit I was an economic migrant ( back in the tiger days , alas ).
    But if I was driving a taxi no one would look at me and avoid my car , because I look just like them.

Problem: Drivers not knowing where they are going .
    Solution :Proper ' knowledge ' test as in London.

Problem : Drivers overcharging and taking circuitous routes.
    Solution : this happens in every city in the world . Get a receipt. Taxi and drivers badge number. Check a map. Go to taxi regulator.

Supporting Irish jobs and the economy and refusing to get into a taxi because someone driving it isn't white.

How are they the same thing again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Rippy wrote: »
    I'm a member of the biggest ethnic minority here.

An actual Dub living in Dublin?

squod wrote: »
    An actual Dub living in Dublin?

Culchies I think he means.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Rippy

No but choosing a taxi based on the colour of the driver is .
    There is a whole generation of young black Irish people growing up .
    They will integrate fully into every aspect of Irish life .
    When inter county GAA has significant numbers of black players.
    Will you still be refusing to get into cabs driven by 'non-Irish '?

• Advertisement

crockholm wrote: »
    If it is racist, and maybe it is, it certainly is on the lower scale of some of the things I have seen and heard. If people are confident in calling mr. show time racist, I think it belittles the white power leaflets and sentiments here in Sweden, thats racist, I just feel that there is a little bit of "boy who cried wolf" about the word today.

People don't get a pass on holding terrible beliefs simply because there are worse examples of said beliefs in the world.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement