Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'aul racism now, is it?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

gallag wrote: »
    I hate falling back on this argument but do you think for example the polish people would accept several irish children per class taking up the teachers time to the cost and detriment of their own childrens education?

Well since they're in the EU, they'd have to. You can't deport people on a whim when you have open borders among member states.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

Simple, overstretched teachers teaching larger classes with even more time being allocated to non English speakers to the detriment of native children. I hate falling back on this argument but do you think for example the polish people would accept several irish children per class taking up the teachers time to the cost and detriment of their own childrens education?

Are you living in some f**king alternate universe? where are these schools were teachers are forced to teach groups of non-English speaking students?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

[QUOTE=gallag;82863008]Why did jobsbin the celtic tiger days need to be min wage? Because even if the companys were making record profits the steady flow of eastern European workers ment they could keep wages down, and if people are sharing houses and keeping spending to a minimum they can afford to work for min wage, what about people who want to raise a family in their own house, is that just a dream of the rich now? Should the natives accept a lower quality of life because the pc brigade shout racist every time the flaws of multiculturalism are pointed out?[/QUOTE]

They didn't! wage inflation in Ireland was at it's highest rates ever during the Celtic tiger era.
    Thousands of immigrants bought homes and settled here as is evidenced in the last two census figure.
    You still haven't provided a scrap of evidence that the "natives" as you refer to them have had any drop in their standard of living as a result of immigration.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

Well, if people want to believe an influx of cheep labour will not drive down rates of pay and workers rights then ill bow out.

Well, if people want to believe an influx of cheep labour will not drive down rates of pay and workers rights then ill bow out.

It didn't in the Cetic Tiger, the evidence is there to see, and it isn't doing it now.

• Advertisement

Simple, overstretched teachers teaching larger classes with even more time being allocated to non English speakers to the detriment of native children. I hate falling back on this argument but do you think for example the polish people would accept several irish children per class taking up the teachers time to the cost and detriment of their own childrens education?

There is not a shred of evidence that class sizes increased as a result of immigration, not a shred!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

It didn't in the Cetic Tiger, the evidence is there to see, and it isn't doing it now.

It can do at the lowest levels of employment. For instance the labouring rates in construction in the UK went down a lot due to the large influx of people from Romania and Albania who will do these jobs for less and the fact that construction isn't exactly booming anymore. The only way to address this though, is through union organisation and an acceptable rate of pay. The "send them home" argument is never a viable one.

FTA69 wrote: »
    It can do at the lowest levels of employment. For instance the labouring rates in construction in the UK went down a lot due to the large influx of people from Romania and Albania who will do these jobs for less and the fact that construction isn't exactly booming anymore. The only way to address this though, is through union organisation and an acceptable rate of pay. The "send them home" argument is never a viable one.

Labouring rates in construction Ireland were and are fixed by law, it had zero effect on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Soups123 wrote: »
    Sentences that start with 'I'm not a racist' always are

Yeah, why do people bother saying that? It's like they think it absolves them or something. I suppose, on the plus side, it shows they have a conscience. Somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

And another thing. Can we stop saying non-national? It's inane. Everyone is a national of somewhere, not nowhere.

This isn't a rant at the people of boards, just people who use this stupid phrase. :P

• Advertisement

Labouring rates in construction Ireland were and are fixed by law, it had zero effect on them.

There's no fixed rate for it in the UK and due to a large influx of migrant labour coupled with a dwindling industry, the general rates have gone down dramatically. In the skilled aspects of construction many self-employed migrants dramatically undercut the going rates for trades also. A large influx of migrant labour often has negative effects for the low-skilled native population as it puts them into direct competition with people who will work for less. This, rightly or wrongly, creates a lot of bitterness. The only real way around that is via union organisation.

That and looking at the bigger picture that it's society in general that needs an overhaul as opposed to fighting for scraps at the lower end of things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Only in bizzaro world.

:rolleyes: ;)

I would also like to point out that it is profiteering bosses who pay low wages and these are the people ultimately to blame, not migrants themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,219 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I don't want to see little Lagos or Islambads springing up. Anyone who lives in ghettos like that will be marginalised from society and will have a poor quality of life. Unemployment will be high and eduaction standards will be low. It's easy for crime to become established because people will be wary of the Gardai.

I wouldn't mind seeing a proper Chinatown though. Better food.

Wikipedia used to have a little thing about Dublins Chinatown on parallel street. Apparently having a couple of mobile phone shops in one place qualifies as a chinatown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

juan.kerr wrote: »
    :rolleyes: ;)

Good lad. Stunning riposte.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Show Time wrote: »
    Most of the money the drivers make is wired out of the country and anyone thinking otherwise is living in a dream world. If you like some English horse burgers then Tesco is the place to go but i would just as soon spend my money in with a company like Dunnes.

English horse burgers? Two of the three manufacturing companies involved are Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

I don't want to see little Lagos or Islambads springing up. Anyone who lives in ghettos like that will be marginalised from society and will have a poor quality of life. Unemployment will be high and eduaction standards will be low. It's easy for crime to become established because people will be wary of the Gardai.

You mean like those people, living 12 to a house, working off the books with no proper papers, on expired visas in places like Sydney, Boston and Calgary? Oh wait, they are Irish!

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭McSheez

It's got to the point and I make no apologies for it that I will now go to a local message board rather than one that's non - national, that has nothing to do with the colour of their skins.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    I like the way the senator stated that he wasn't making his decision based on the colour of a driver's skin and then made it very clear that he was basing the decision on the colour of a driver's skin.

That's the essence of comedy right there and I think this lad has a future in the comedy world of the future. Unfortunately for him he's a senator, not a comedy man so he's f*cked.

I've heard you can tell non-nationals by their accents these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

I've heard you can tell non-nationals by their accents these days.

Yeah, I'd say he probably opens the doors of the taxis and asks them to say something before sitting down to determine whether or not they're proper foreigners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Bronze Wolf

MadsL wrote: »

You mean like those people, living 12 to a house, working off the books with no proper papers, on expired visas in places like Sydney, Boston and Calgary? Oh wait, they are Irish!

Do you think any of that is a good thing?

Do you have a problem with people have a decent standard of living?

Do you think any of that is a good thing?

Do you have a problem with people have a decent standard of living?

facepalm

facepalm

Really? Explain to me what I'm missing then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

Who asked me my views on the crazy asylum system swallowing up this country's scarce finances? No one. Do I hate foreigners... no. Do I hate the way we all have to participate in (or else be branded racists or made feel inferior by people like you) and go along with this social experiment... yes.

do you have any figures to back up the claim that the crazy asylum system is swallowing up the country's finances?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Here's a tip for all you racists: as soon as you start describing your opponents as a 'mob' or a 'brigade', you are showing yourself up for the lazy, thoughtless fool that you are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Show Time wrote: »
    I can see his point. If i was out for the night and had to get a cab home i would make sure it's an Irish driver that gets my custom and my money.

How would you know an irish driver from a "foreign" one?
    juan kerr wrote:
    We're not far off it. .

Bollocks.

Really? Explain to me what I'm missing then.

I would have thought that the irony of members of a nation complaining about immigration when only 6.5% of the descendants of that nation actually live in it would be so deliciously rich it would be hard to miss.

Then again, seems I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

There is not a shred of evidence that class sizes increased as a result of immigration, not a shred!
    But what evidence do we have if any that teaching standards are the same as say 15-20 years ago ?

Who is to say that all the extra time spent on learning English for the first time in first to sixth for some students has not affected the time which could have used for Maths or History for the rest of the class.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Yeah, I'd say he probably opens the doors of the taxis and asks them to say something before sitting down to determine whether or not they're proper foreigners.

Presumably he asks the driver if he can take him wherever he's going before he gets in. Does everyone not do that? Kind of embarrassing if he said no and you had to get out again

• Advertisement

I would have thought that the irony of members of a nation complaining about immigration when only 6.5% of the descendants of that nation actually live in it would be so deliciously rich it would be hard to miss.

Then again, seems I'm wrong.

Read this:

I can understand how people can hate multiculturalism. It hasn't worked in the UK or US and no one here wants ghettos developing.

Integration on the other hand is a good idea. When immigrants make an effort to become part of the community we get to know them and we get to like them. They should preserve their own culture by all means but learning English, working if they are allowed (this is where most people will get to know foreigners), adhering to Irish standards of behaviour as much as they can, all makes it easier for everyone to live together.

That's my original post, not just the piece someone else quoted. I said I was in favour of integration over multiculturalism, not that I was anti immigration.

It was post 137 in this thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement