Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this your address?

Options
  • 24-01-2013 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    Just wondering if anyone knows of a plugin for wordpress that if a user puts in their address into a field, a little pop up will appear asking "Is this your address?"

I thinking it could work that user puts in address into a field and as they are typing the address, there are suggestions as there are on maps.google.com and if there is an exact address found, maybe the little orange street view man can have a speech bubble appear next to him saying "I think I found your address, click to confirm" and when you click, you see a street view window appear which you can then zoom, pan and confirm your exact location.

I want this to be as user friendly as possible and only for advanced users so it's not intrusive for everyone who is simply inputting an address (which is why I just want the little man beside the field).

Does anyone know of such a plugin and if not, would it be difficult/expensive to get someone to make such considering maybe it's all there from google already?

This is what I'm thinking:
    Untitled_231.jpg

Any feedback appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I've posted this up on elance but if anyone knows of any existing plugins that do exactly this, please let me know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭billyduk

Google have a geo-autocomplete API that can be filtered down to regions (e.g. Ireland).

http://code.google.com/p/geo-autocomplete/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm getting something pretty cool developed at the moment. Just wondering, as I'm paying for my idea to be developed, if I was to put the script on the likes of codecanyon for $20 say, is it mine to do what I want with, or is it technically and legally the actual coders work?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

That depends on the agreement you have with the coder (if any). If you're using one of the freelancer website they usually have a suggestion/default agreement. If there isn't an agreement it's probably worth clarifying the position now just to save you potential pain later.

If you do put the completed script up on CodeCanyon, a couple of things to keep in mind:

You don't get to decide the price, the Envato staff do. You will get up-to 70% (50% for low volumes) of the selling price if the script is exclusively available through codecanyon.
    You will be expected to support your script. You will be expected to support users of varying/all experience levels! :eek: Only you can decide if 50% of the occasional $20 is worth that pain.

• Advertisement

Wow, thanks for that. Probably better just to put it up somewhere and have a donation button but I wonder would that cover the costs of development in 20 years :)

Advertisement