Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blackpool Post Office

• 24-01-2013 11:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭

im hearing quite alot about the Blackpool post office moving from the Village into the centre,

Pensioners are complaining that they won't be able to walk down to the shopping center and businesses in the village think that business will be gone if they do move it.

what i cannot understand why not keep both open for a selected time and which ever is busier use that one?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

The last fifteen years or so the local council have made every effort to turn Blackpool village into a ghost town and ghetto.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Show Time wrote: »
    The last fifteen years or so the local council have made every effort to turn Blackpool village into a ghost town and ghetto.

They've succeeded. There's no where else in the city that's been as badly treated and neglected as Blackpool has in recent past. It's a textbook example of how to ruin an area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

They've succeeded. There's no where else in the city that's been as badly treated and neglected as Blackpool has in recent past. It's a textbook example of how to ruin an area.

I agree. Driving through there is such a depressing experience. The village is an absolute eyesore now. With a bit of money and effort, the village could be every bit as nice as Douglas Village. It's ideally situated, easy to get to town, right on the North Link which will take you out of town and beyond.

I often spoke to Bernard Allen about it when he was around. He did tell me that moves were afoot to regenerate the area, but that was a while ago. Of course, nothing was done...

I suppose it's the old North/South divide at work again. It's a real shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭Dan Dare

I agree, its a terrible shame, Blackpool could be a lovely place. The state of those buildings opposite Kingstons (the butchers) is a disgrace. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

...With a bit of money and effort, the village could be every bit as nice as Douglas Village....
    God forbid Blackpool ends up like Douglas :)

On a serious note though, I agree with your points. The central core of Blackpool village (ie. from the Grotto at the end of Dublin Hill to the Brewery) has, in places been left to rot. There are some very nice terraces of buildings and individual buildings of note (Lido cinema, etc.) that should be preserved and utilised. Much of Thomas Davis Street is in a deplorable state and while individual property owners must be held responsible, the City Council must bear ultimate responsibility if property owners don't take their responsibilities seriously.

An Post, for their part, have got involved in a problem which is not entirely of their making: it is not their fault that a number of high-profile 'social' services have been taken out of Blackpool. It is their fault for deciding to blindly follow that trend towards car-driven, poorly-planned, shopping centres.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

God forbid Blackpool ends up like Douglas :)

On a serious note though, I agree with your points. The central core of Blackpool village (ie. from the Grotto at the end of Dublin Hill to the Brewery) has, in places been left to rot. There are some very nice terraces of buildings and individual buildings of note (Lido cinema, etc.) that should be preserved and utilised. Much of Thomas Davis Street is in a deplorable state and while individual property owners must be held responsible, the City Council must bear ultimate responsibility if property owners don't take their responsibilities seriously.

An Post, for their part, have got involved in a problem which is not entirely of their making: it is not their fault that a number of high-profile 'social' services have been taken out of Blackpool. It is their fault for deciding to blindly follow that trend towards car-driven, poorly-planned, shopping centres.
    Good point and also to add in the Great William O'Brien Street area up to and including Neptune Stadium, There was some serious money wasted during the Celtic Tiger era which could have compleatly revamped all of Blackpool.

Advertisement