Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

claiming tax and super back

Options
  • 24-01-2013 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

hi all I'm in Perth at the min I got here in Oct and going home in May I'd just like to know how to go about claiming my tax and super back. I have a few things I'm looking to find out

1. does it take long?
    2. what % do yo get back?
    3. do I need to wait till whv has expired?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 hollyday

Hi tosh_2006 I came back last june and claimed my tax back around august. The tax year ends at the end of june in oz so I got my employer to send my tax certs to my friend in brisbane and then she sent it on to me in Ireland. I did it myself (instead of through an agency) and it took about a month. Not sure exactly what percentage you get back but I got nearly all of what I was taxed back.

The super is a bit trickier, if your visa is still valid you need to request immi to cancel it, there are some links on here to do that. By the time immi got around to cancelling mine the visa had already expired :rolleyes:
    It took about 2 months to come through, I got a cheque in the post, again Im not sure how much exactly you get but it is a handy sum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

1. Took nearly 10 weeks for me last year, but some people get it back in 2 weeks. Luck of draw and dependent on complexity of your claim.

2. You don't get a % back. You get back whatever tax you overpaid, as you only worked 60% of the tax year I'd imagine you'd get a good chunk of tax paid back, but that's totally dependent on personal circumstance, income etc...

3. Nope. Tax year ends in June, so submit your claim anytime after then.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭tosh_2006

Thanks for all the help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭master-t

Hey folks,

I have just returned home now after a year in Australia (My god this weather is depressing).

On the tax and super theme, I am looking to strat the process of claiming my tax and super back also. I have read over some older threads on the issue, but was hoping someone may be of assistance here.

Has anyone done it since returning home? I have looked at Taxb&ck.com but I just can't justify paying their fees. I done the eTax myself last year and it was so easy. I am just unsure what the process is when you have left Australia. I have applied to Hobart to cancel my visa early as it does not end for another 6/7 weeks. What would you suggest the best way to go about this refund process would be?

Cheers in advance for any information or help!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Esse85

I'm also interested in hearing replies on this.

I just returned, my 12 month WHV visa has expired, do I need to wait until the end of June or can I apply straight away for both my tax and super?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Hi all, I'm looking to know what kind of tax would someone on a WHV be paying? I ask because I'm currently being taxed about 33%, is this normal? And also, can this or a portion of this tax be claimed back in June?
    I went into the Sydney ATO today to find out what the story is and they're less than helpful tbh. I answered a few questions on a computer to determine if I could be deemed an Australian citizen for tax purposes and it said I could be. What exactly does this mean and is there anything I can do to reduce the amount of tax I pay as having 1/3 of your wages taken away directly is a nightmare!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 kfc1210

Being an Australin resident for tax purposes is all about INTENT so if you INTEND to stay here for a year from day one that you arrive you can be taxed as an Australian resident, now a place i use to work in said you need to be there for more than 6 months but trust me on this my accountant sorted it all out and its all about INTENT not how long you have been here

Tax rates 2012-13
    The following rates for 2012-13 apply from 1 July 2012.

0 - $18,200 Nil

$18,201 - $37,000 19c for each $1 over $18,200

$37,001 - $80,000 $3,572 plus 32.5c for each $1 over $37,000

$80,001 - $180,000 $17,547 plus 37c for each $1 over $80,000

$180,001 and over $54,547 plus 45c for each $1 over $180,000

• Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Esse85

Cake Man wrote: »
    Hi all, I'm looking to know what kind of tax would someone on a WHV be paying? I ask because I'm currently being taxed about 33%, is this normal? And also, can this or a portion of this tax be claimed back in June?
    I went into the Sydney ATO today to find out what the story is and they're less than helpful tbh. I answered a few questions on a computer to determine if I could be deemed an Australian citizen for tax purposes and it said I could be. What exactly does this mean and is there anything I can do to reduce the amount of tax I pay as having 1/3 of your wages taken away directly is a nightmare!
    In other words you ticked the wrong box when filling out the form. You should of said you are a citizen for tax purposes.

You can ask your employer to change this and fill out the form again.

Advertisement