Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobs Boost for Waterford City??

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭jennygirl

the place is called "House of Waterford" - does that cover crystal made in other countries and sold in Waterford?

• Site Banned Posts: 224 ✭✭SubBusted

What happens if the Waterfords in Australia, Canada, England, USA, Jamaica, and bleedin' Zimbabwe decide to manufacture Waterford Crystal? What can UNITE do then?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 WilliamG

I think it had to do with the Glanbia announcement of a factory in Bellview

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Mooley22

Damien Tiernan put up a tweet the night before saying about the announcement being made at 10.30am. At 10.30 am the next morning he put up about the unite case about Waterford Crystal.That was obviously the announcement he was on about.I even tweeted him before he released that asking was it to do with the new IDA building and he wrote back saying no.Hope thats clears up some confusion :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Mooley22 wrote: »
    Damien Tiernan put up a tweet the night before saying about the announcement being made at 10.30am. At 10.30 am the next morning he put up about the unite case about Waterford Crystal.That was obviously the announcement he was on about.I even tweeted him before he released that asking was it to do with the new IDA building and he wrote back saying no.Hope thats clears up some confusion :)

How exactly is a case by unite against Waterford Crystal a job boost for Waterford?

• Advertisement

Because if the ruling goes through the Waterford Crystal made abroad will either have to cease production or change their name. The only Waterford Crystal made will be sourced from Ireland and demand will increase giving more locals their jobs back.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

SubBusted wrote: »
    Because if the ruling goes through the Waterford Crystal made abroad will either have to cease production or change their name. The only Waterford Crystal made will be sourced from Ireland and demand will increase giving more locals their jobs back.

Thats a pretty big assumption, its also a very long way off.

It could take months or years before there is an outcome to such a case due to appeals etc, as such its hardly accurate to announce it as a job boost to Waterford now.

We're talking about Waterford Crystal as a brand name, the fact that many of the employee's in Waterford actually traveled to other countrys and trained people shows they were more then aware products were not all being made in Waterford, all the staff would have been aware of this.

To turn around now because it didn't go there way seems rather silly and childish, the time for action was when they first started outsourcing any level of work outside of Waterford.

I know that and agree but that's the logic behind it. They should have done that years ago not now. Even if it happens they will probably bring the East Europeans over here to work for lower wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭dugger

I remember reading a case study 15+ years ago about Tony O'Riely, I think he brought the board of directors to bloomingdales in NY for a weekend to watch people purchasing Waterford Crystal, After the weekend it was O'Rielys view that the crsytal no longer needed to be manufactued in Waterford as not 1 person asked the question when buying it"is this made in Waterford City" So as far back as the 90's it made business sense to move to where there was cheaper labour and it is still the same today,

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

dugger wrote: »
    I remember reading a case study 15+ years ago about Tony O'Riely, I think he brought the board of directors to bloomingdales in NY for a weekend to watch people purchasing Waterford Crystal, After the weekend it was O'Rielys view that the crsytal no longer needed to be manufactued in Waterford as not 1 person asked the question when buying it"is this made in Waterford City" So as far back as the 90's it made business sense to move to where there was cheaper labour and it is still the same today,

I would imagine they were buying the product in the belief that it was made in Waterford.
    .I wonder how many would buy it now if the country of origin was on the label.
    Quality product: Waterford Crystal. Made in the Far East. doesn't really sound right does it.
    I used to love buying Levi's jeans especially when the label stated Made in San Francisco. Pick up a pair now and you will find they are probably made in Mexico. I don't like buying copies and would not part with my money for a phoney product.Two vastly different products but two old companies with a proud tradition once upon a time. As for Tony O'Reilly I wouldn't wipe me a*se with the Independent especially now as it has been turned onto a tabloid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭leduke

where is kilmeaden cheddar made because it's certainly not in kilmeaden? could unite get the cheese factory to reopen? simple answer .... no!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

I'm thinking of taking a case against Kentucky Fried Chicken because last time I had it I'm pretty sure the chicken didn't taste like it was manufactured in southeastern America. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

dugger wrote: »

I remember that study, it wasn't that nobody made a connection but it was VERY small - about 5%, I suspect more people reckoned it was made in Waterford, Connecticut.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

leduke wrote: »
    where is kilmeaden cheddar made because it's certainly not in kilmeaden? could unite get the cheese factory to reopen? simple answer .... no!!

There's moves about to make Swiss cheese there. Lets see how that would go.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭leduke

mccarthy37 wrote: »
    There's moves about to make Swiss cheese there. Lets see how that would go.
    i think that story has some holes in it!!!!!!!!

Advertisement