Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new village centre

Options
  • 24-01-2013 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭

An Bord Pleanála has approved this development for the Raheenagun and Loughmacask area in kilkenny, Be great to see this side of the city develop more, the supermarket sound to be big 2620 sq mtrs the average aldi/lidl is only about 1000 sq mtrs,

The neighbourhood centre comprises of a mix of commercial and residential uses in a series of buildings ranging from 1 to 4 storeys in height. A village square, designed to be south-facing, is central to the overall development. The proposed commercial uses comprise of 7,817sqm gross floor area and are as follows:
    • 1 anchor retail unit including ancillary off-licence sales area (2,620sqm).
    • 5 no. office units (825sqm)
    • A crèche (640sqm)
    • A pharmacy (165sqm)
    • A gym / fitness centre (385sqm)
    • A café / bar / restaurant with outdoor seating area (715sqm)
    • 11 no. retail / commercial units (1,252sqm)
    • Ancillary space 1,215sqm

The residential component of the development comprises of 245 dwellings as follows:
    • 49 no. four-bed detached houses,
    • 44 no. four-bed semi-detached houses,
    • 15 no. three-bed detached houses;
    • 10 no. three-bed terraced houses,
    • 26 no. three-bed end-of-terrace houses;
    • 33 no. three-bed duplex units,
    • 10 no. two-bed duplex units,
    • 47 no. two-bed apartments,
    • 11 no. one-bed apartments.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Badly needed as there is absolutely nothing apart form residential on that side of town. Hope it gets built soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭linny

would be grea to see even the village centre built with the housing to follow in few years maybe, if things pick up,
    would 2620sq mtrs be big enough for tesco to get there hands on it:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

Where abouts is that area? Never heard of it.

ft9 wrote: »

Think it's up behind the Granges road?

ft9 wrote: »

http://maps.google.ie/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

You need to use the link button on google maps Fitzy, not copy and paste the URL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

linny wrote: »
    would be grea to see even the village centre built with the housing to follow in few years maybe, if things pick up,

Be realistic it will probably be another Dunnes.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭redtelephone

linny wrote: »

IMO it should be big enough for a smaller Tesco store, not a Tesco Extra. I think Tesco Carlow is about 4000sq m.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Bobby Hill

i dont think all of it is getting planning ??? as in the shopping centre, only the houses as far as i can see...

• Advertisement

Dymo wrote: »
    Ireland or England?

No China I think ;)

Bobby Hill wrote: »
    i dont think all of it is getting planning ??? as in the shopping centre, only the houses as far as i can see...

Have you link to this? Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Bonkers with all the empties around the town.

catbear wrote: »
    Bonkers with all the empties around the town.

Kilkenny is not that bad with empty units? Comparing it to other towns around the country there's not many vacant units to be fair and that part of town is devoid of retail and reasonably well to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Lord Derpington

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭KK4SAM

This is a bit like Dallas the parties involved were at loggerheads in previous applications.
    http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/238542.htm

Does this mean that Grasslands Fertilllizers are going to relocate ?

KK4SAM wrote: »
    This is a bit like Dallas the parties involved were at loggerheads in previous applications.
    http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/238542.htm

Does this mean that Grasslands Fertilllizers are going to relocate ?

I really doubt it. They've invested a lot in their plant there. Won't be going anywhere anytime soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭KK4SAM

mfitzy wrote: »
    I really doubt it. They've invested a lot in their plant there. Won't be going anywhere anytime soon!

I don't want to engage,:but based on talk in the day,see An Board Case (230539) ::mad:

KK4SAM wrote: »
    I don't want to engage,:but based on talk in the day,see An Board Case (230539) ::mad:

Yea I see what you mean, tit for tat stuff going on.

Kilkenny is not that bad with empty units? Comparing it to other towns around the country there's not many vacant units to be fair and that part of town is devoid of retail and reasonably well to do.
    You haven't looked around enough. At a rough estimate I reckon there are 180 empties in new developments on the Comer road alone and it's been that way for the last four years! The nearest shops are in Newpark and yet some people think that building more houses without amenities on another greenfield is a good idea, nothing has been learned. By the sounds of it the only thing being serviced is greed for profit in a market where there is little or no demand. There are plenty of houses for sale near existing amenities around Kilkenny so really there is no case for demand.

I'd change my mind if the developer was bound by having deposits from buyers on each proposed unit before being allowed to proceed, that way the general tax payer isn't left with another bust development. Seriously anything been learned from the last decade?

Although it may create employment in the short term it would really be a political gesture funded by borrowed money to be repaid by future generations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

How will it impact on the tourists, is it going to be olde worlde, or ultra modern? What will it be called, how about a competition for a name, Hoganville, Ripmeoff, Councylcharonly. Sullihavoca.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

How will it impact on the tourists, is it going to be olde worlde, or ultra modern? What will it be called, how about a competition for a name, Hoganville, Ripmeoff, Councylcharonly. Sullihavoca.

I doubt it would have any impact on tourists as it's a place for local people. I would hope it would be modern.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

catbear wrote: »
    You haven't looked around enough. At a rough estimate I reckon there are 180 empties in new developments on the Comer road alone and it's been that way for the last four years! The nearest shops are in Newpark and yet some people think that building more houses without amenities on another greenfield is a good idea, nothing has been learned. By the sounds of it the only thing being serviced is greed for profit in a market where there is little or no demand. There are plenty of houses for sale near existing amenities around Kilkenny so really there is no case for demand.

I'd change my mind if the developer was bound by having deposits from buyers on each proposed unit before being allowed to proceed, that way the general tax payer isn't left with another bust development. Seriously anything been learned from the last decade?

Although it may create employment in the short term it would really be a political gesture funded by borrowed money to be repaid by future generations.

No I was reffering to retail and that element of the development specifically. There's a lacking that side of KK completely. I agree re rthe residential side, but it's a free market and certain areas are still attractive for new ones regardless of the oversupply.

No I was reffering to retail and that element of the development specifically. There's a lacking that side of KK completely. I agree re rthe residential side, but it's a free market and certain areas are still attractive for new ones regardless of the oversupply.
    I agree that that side of town is underserviced.

bravo, no empty units, so what about the Callan Road, it is a disgrace and there is no shopping facilities near to hand, why not finish the building there, tourists must think what a bloody tip this place is, then the old lighthouse site, yep comer road, send them to callan lovely boarded up property, want to stay in a hotel in urlingford, sorry we haven't had time to finish it, a reminder of the tiger days?
    How long have the units at loughboy been empty?
    The council, what counci, how many years have they been going to do the Callan road, it is all a bloody big joke.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

In fairness, why on earth would anyone want to stay in Urlingford? That hotel shouldn't have started. There are certainly a few unsightly unfinished works around but I doubt many tourists would consider Kilkenny to be a tip. Kilkenny is a very attractive city. What work is supposed to be done to the Callan road. Having cycled many counties in Ireland, I find the road surfaces in Kilkenny to be very good by comparison.

wow there, Urlingford was a pleasant place until somebody built or half built now it is omg, like the Callan road.
    The road surface might be good quality, the Callan Road but I would not cycle between Tennypark and cuffesgrange it is a cyclists nightmare, do you see many brave men or women cycling that road?
    Truth is tourist do not see the bad parts, the pot holes in Callan, the boarded up estate.
    Some people can be very blinkered coming into a town for the first time, then take a look at the mayors walk, breath taking what a waste of public money.
    Didn't the stone come from China? I thought Kilkenny was renowned for it's stone.
    By the way try to get tourists to avoid the old cash and carry.

wow there, Urlingford was a pleasant place until somebody built or half built now it is omg, like the Callan road.
    There's still nothing in Urlingford though.
    The road surface might be good quality, the Callan Road but I would not cycle between Tennypark and cuffesgrange it is a cyclists nightmare, do you see many brave men or women cycling that road?
    Yes, a friend of mine cycles it every day between Callan and Kilkenny. I cycle it and I wouldn't consider myself brave. I agree it isn't the mae west but have the council ever said that they would do it?
    Truth is tourist do not see the bad parts, the pot holes in Callan, the boarded up estate.
    No, tourists wouldn't go looking for them but in your last post you said that tourists must think Kilkenny is a tip.
    Some people can be very blinkered coming into a town for the first time, then take a look at the mayors walk, breath taking what a waste of public money.
    Didn't the stone come from China? I thought Kilkenny was renowned for it's stone.
    In fairness, if you go to Paris, what are you going to be looking for, the Eiffel tour or ghost estates? You want your experience to be positive so you look for the nicer things. I like the works that were done between the castle and the parade. I don't know anything about the stone though.
    By the way try to get tourists to avoid the old cash and carry.
    I think we should get them to avoid the Hebron industrial estate also, it's not very touristy, the Loughboy retail park also, isn't much there for them either. Maybe we could make up a booklet, "places that aren't tourist attractions in Kilkenny so avoid them"?

well i would agree tourists wouldn't look for them, and most tourist s do not spend too much time in the city, especially if they come by coach, I know some stay the night in Springhill but for older people it is too far from town.
    You remind me of the time I stayed in a hotel in Cardiff Bay, the doorman said I wouldn't turn right sir, naturally one does the exact opposite, now i know why.
    Luckily we do not have such area's in our city, of course we want people to go away and say that is some place to visit, wished we lived there.
    Posts aren't really moans and groans, they are saying to the council etc pull your fingers out, it is 2013 not 1913, deo what you were elected to do, look after our heritage and the future.
    I still think anyone cycling round the bends on the Callan road should take out a good life policy, I take you have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pueblo

take a look at the mayors walk, breath taking what a waste of public money.
    Didn't the stone come from China? I thought Kilkenny was renowned for it's stone

The cheapest stone (surprise surprise) now comes from China. Would you have had them waste even more public money on locally cut stone??

Advertisement