Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dual Nationality

Options
  • 24-01-2013 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Been to the USA twice now on an Irish passport and I am going back in March for a couple of days on a British passport. Is that OK or do I have to enter on an Irish one?

Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

YOu can enter on whichever legal passports you hold, as long as it is not to circumvent any bans they may have against you.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭rodgered

Nope no bans! Thanks a million!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,439 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Your name & date of birth are obviously the same so there is a possibility that they will ask you why you are travelling on a different passport, especially as they now take your photo so the agent will probably be able to call up your photo from your last visit to see if Joe Murphy (Irish passport) is the same traveller as Joe Murphy (UK passport).

If the reason is because your Irish passport has expired, I'd bring it with me to show it as the reason why you're travelling on a different passport.

They may suspect that you were refused admission to a third country with your Irish passport and because that will show up as a visa with a cross marked through it, it would give rise to the suspicion that you are now electing to use a UK passport to conceal that fact so bring the Irish passport to show that it's clean, otherwise they may give you a hard time.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭rodgered

coylemj wrote: »
    Your name & date of birth are obviously the same so there is a possibility that they will ask you why you are travelling on a different passport, especially as they now take your photo so the agent will probably be able to call up your photo from your last visit to see if Joe Murphy (Irish passport) is the same traveller as Joe Murphy (UK passport).

If the reason is because your Irish passport has expired, I'd bring it with me to show it as the reason why you're travelling on a different passport.

They may suspect that you were refused admission to a third country with your Irish passport and because that will show up as a visa with a cross marked through it, it would give rise to the suspicion that you are now electing to use a UK passport to conceal that fact so bring the Irish passport to show that it's clean, otherwise they may give you a hard time.

You see this is my main worry, I actually had a British and an Irish passports and lost the Irish passport. So just use the British one now. I've never been banned or anything like that but I may renew my Irish passport if thats the case.

Thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,439 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Have you reported the Irish passport as lost? Take note......

The Passport Office, in accordance with EU regulations in relation to reported lost or stolen passports, is now advising international authorities, through Interpol, of all passports reported to the Passport Office as having been lost or stolen.

http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=261

So I'd make sure to report it as lost ASAP because the US immigration people may be able to check that database and if your Irish passport has not been reported as lost, you may encounter problems as they will probably assume that you have not lost it but that there's something in it that you don't want them to see.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

coylemj wrote: »
    Have you reported the Irish passport as lost? Take note......

The Passport Office, in accordance with EU regulations in relation to reported lost or stolen passports, is now advising international authorities, through Interpol, of all passports reported to the Passport Office as having been lost or stolen.

http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=261

So I'd make sure to report it as lost ASAP because the US immigration people may be able to check that database and if your Irish passport has not been reported as lost, you may encounter problems as they will probably assume that you have not lost it but that there's something in it that you don't want them to see.

Honestly I don't forsee any problems. State Dept acknowledge the concept of dual citizenship.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

silja wrote: »
    YOu can enter on whichever legal passports you hold, as long as it is not to circumvent any bans they may have against you.
    Actually, if you have a US passport and are a dual citizen, you must use a US passport when entering the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

snubbleste wrote: »
    Actually, if you have a US passport and are a dual citizen, you must use a US passport when entering the US.

That is correct, but the OP stated the passports in question are irish and Brittish.

Advertisement