Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

N.Z. Residency

• 24-01-2013 1:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭

I have NZ residency after living there for 3 years and my partner being a Kiwi.

However, I came home in April 2011 and wondering will my residency expire / become invalid if I don't go back within a certain amount of time. OR have I got residency forever and that's the end of it!

Thanks, c

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,100 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Unless it's permanent residency, then I'm sure that it does expire. Don't know how soon though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Pippy1976

Unless it's permanent residency, then I'm sure that it does expire. Don't know how soon though.

It is permanent residency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,525 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Pippy1976 wrote: »
    It is permanent residency.

I've a permanent residency visa, however there are travel conditions attached. For the first two years we can come and go as we like but after that we have to let the IRD or immigration or whoever know if we are leaving and for how long etc. It's basically to stop Visa abuse but you may want to check the conditions of yours with someone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 674 ✭✭✭spunkymunky

Mind if i piggy back this?

Im currently on a "work to residency" visa (Essential skills list). Its a 30 month visa that allows me to apply for PR after 2 years working in NZ. This happens end of August. I wonder though, can I appy before? It would be nice to start a kiwisaver account and put some sort of plan in place so I can keep partying till im 90! Also Residency would be nice to have.

Cheers
    Munky

@Cookie_Monster I know about the travel conditions imposed on a residency visa. I went to NZ in 2008 and came and went as I liked for the first 2 years (which wasn't many times, about 2 in all!!). After that I told immigration of my intention to leave / come home in April 2011. I can't remember what they said in response.

I've contacted immigration to check but they're slow in replying. Thought I'd get a quick answer here... thanks for the replies though.

@spunkymunky I'm not sure I understand your question! You can apply for a visa whenever you want: they probably won't process it until your application until the end of August though. But in one way it'd be good to get all the paperwork together now. Visas are dealt with by priority / expiration dates. So if someone else's is expiring next month then they won't be looking at yours until those cases are dealt with.

Hope that makes sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭PhiliousPhogg

Have a look at this INZ guide for Residents which says the following:
    If you have a permanent resident visa, you do not need
    travel conditions as you have the indefinite right to travel
    to and enter New Zealand (although you must make sure
    your visa is in a valid passport).

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/NR/rdonlyres/CAF71A48-28D3-40B8-9D76-5C663CCA17FA/0/INZ1176.pdf

I'm no lawyer but as long as you have a Permanent Resident's visa and not a resident visa with travel conditions, I have seen nothing to suggest you would lose PR if you are out of the country for an extended period (although this may change in the future).

I intend on moving on once I have PR, but really want the option to return if I want.

Thank you so much for the information you provided.

I have a PR visa without travel conditions - they were imposed for the first two years whilst I was in NZ. Having read the explanation below it does indeed imply that I am free to travel to / from NZ as often / infrequent as I like.

I don't intend on going back any time soon but it is great to know that, should the situation arise, I could travel back there. Thanks again, you've been very helpful.
    Have a look at this INZ guide for Residents which says the following:

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/NR/rdonlyres/CAF71A48-28D3-40B8-9D76-5C663CCA17FA/0/INZ1176.pdf

I'm no lawyer but as long as you have a Permanent Resident's visa and not a resident visa with travel conditions, I have seen nothing to suggest you would lose PR if you are out of the country for an extended period (although this may change in the future).

I intend on moving on once I have PR, but really want the option to return if I want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 674 ✭✭✭spunkymunky

Pippy1976 wrote: »
    @spunkymunky I'm not sure I understand your question! You can apply for a visa whenever you want: they probably won't process it until your application until the end of August though. But in one way it'd be good to get all the paperwork together now. Visas are dealt with by priority / expiration dates. So if someone else's is expiring next month then they won't be looking at yours until those cases are dealt with.

Hope that makes sense.

Thats what i wasnt sure about. Thanks for the reply. I was hopin I might be able to get the ball rolling sooner. No rush, just would have been nice.

Thats what i wasnt sure about. Thanks for the reply. I was hopin I might be able to get the ball rolling sooner. No rush, just would have been nice.

You can get the ball rolling, for sure. If I were you I'd get my application together and send it in. They'll still reply to you looking for extra documents / information if your application requires it .. but again, it won't be processed until the expiration of your current visa is nearly upon you.

No harm getting it in and logged in their system. This saves heaps of time in the long run.

Best of luck, p

Advertisement